Primal Scream

Dreamingofsunnydays

Think I've seen them four times, one was one of the best sets I've seen at a festival (Bestival 2011), another was good (Folkestone 2005/06?), one was meh (pre-Stones 2013), the other was awful (APE 2018). I really love them, but not sure if I can justify sacrificing a headliner slot for them given just how poor they were in 2018.  

If they’d knocked it on the head 20 years ago, they’d have had a decent shot at being a great band. But they’ve spent twenty years alternately grave-fucking their past and making rubbish albums (that their mates in the media won’t tell them the truth about).

You’d have thought Gillespie who, if nothing else, has an immaculate sense of rock mythology would understand that. But no. 

14 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

On form, they're ferocious, with a fantastic back catalogue. On an off-night, they're pedestrian. Worth going to see them in case of the first one, though. 

Very much this, great venue if they play a crowd pleaser. 

4 hours ago, Mardy said:

If they’d knocked it on the head 20 years ago, they’d have had a decent shot at being a great band. But they’ve spent twenty years alternately grave-fucking their past and making rubbish albums (that their mates in the media won’t tell them the truth about).

You’d have thought Gillespie who, if nothing else, has an immaculate sense of rock mythology would understand that. But no. 

However it has allowed people like me to see and enjoy them on multiple occasions. So maybe it's not the worst thing in the world that they carried on 🙂

2 minutes ago, rosieangel said:

Primal Scream clashing with Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott has me really torn - for memory are the headlining times of the acoustic and JP usually the same? I know some stages go a bit later. 

Think they're roughly similar I'm afraid, so it'll be one or t'other.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rosieangel said:

Primal Scream clashing with Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott has me really torn - for memory are the headlining times of the acoustic and JP usually the same? I know some stages go a bit later. 

They won't be exactly the same, but close enough that you can't split them - especially as you'd have to get past the Pyramid field.

3 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Have a check here... 

https://clashfinder.com/s/g2019/

That implies that there would be an hour left of Primal Scream after Paul and Jacqui finish, problem is Acoustic to JP is not the closest walk and as @incident suggests would involve me navigating the Pyramid which would prob be at least a 30 minute walk... 

4 minutes ago, rosieangel said:

That implies that there would be an hour left of Primal Scream after Paul and Jacqui finish, problem is Acoustic to JP is not the closest walk and as @incident suggests would involve me navigating the Pyramid which would prob be at least a 30 minute walk... 

Same times in 2017 by the look... 

https://clashfinder.com/m/g2017/

Edited by clarkete

As many that have replied i pencilled in Primal Scream as my Friday headliner. They were rank awful sub Stones but i think Billie had the right hump that night and just went through the motions, he knew people were there only for the Stones. I think the JP will be totally different though and having missed Screamadelica on the Other over a drenched boring U2 i am convincing myself this is where i will be. Yes it will be rammed and the more quieter singalong in the acoustic and real ale bar and PH&JA is a realistic fall back if its too crazy over there.

On 5/12/2022 at 6:53 AM, Mardy said:

If they'd knocked it on the head 20 years ago, we'd not have seen their 2005 perf tho. I can tell if someone has a clue about the fest by your opinion on that show...

More Light is a whopper record also. Realise im in a v small minority on this. Their 3rd perfect record.

They are the band I've seen the most times live and the majority of the time they have been brilliant. Saw them twice on the Screamdelica tour, one of those was the Other stage headline slot against U2 and thought they nailed it. Pyramid before the stones was a shocker, no doubt about it. The last time I saw them was a few years ago on their greatest hits tour and I thought they were brilliant. They looked like they were having a blast and Bobby seemed happy and up for it. They have the songs to do a great set and they are definitely better headline a small stage rather than midway down a big stage. I haven't decided where I will be yet but there is a good chance I will be there.   

On 5/12/2022 at 1:45 PM, ghandi said:

As many that have replied i pencilled in Primal Scream as my Friday headliner. They were rank awful sub Stones but i think Billie had the right hump that night and just went through the motions, he knew people were there only for the Stones. I think the JP will be totally different though and having missed Screamadelica on the Other over a drenched boring U2 i am convincing myself this is where i will be. Yes it will be rammed and the more quieter singalong in the acoustic and real ale bar and PH&JA is a realistic fall back if its too crazy over there.

This was the first and only time I've seen Primal, it was fucking brilliant. They're on my list for Friday, though I could be swayed by Heaton...

On 5/12/2022 at 1:45 PM, ghandi said:

I think this is spot on. Saw doves in jpt on the Friday 2010?, and it was absolutely phenomenal. I reckon primal scream will absolutely nail it. Certainly got the tunes for it, pissed crowd, tent, perfect.

the most hit n miss band ive ever seen. Four times ive seen them live, and its an even split of twice amazing and twice absolutely bollocks. Might pop along just to get a decider 😊 

the better performances have been at smaller places rather than great big slots, so i think the JP might really suit em - it bodes well! I saw em in Melbourne in a pretty small club in St Kilda in 99 (edit - jan 2000, but i cant find any info) just as XTRMNTR was released, its one of the best gigs ive ever been to. 

Edited by balti-pie