Primal Scream

Dreamingofsunnydays

So with Primal Scream self confirming headliners for the John Peel…how are they live?

I’ve heard from you guys on here that there not so great and when a mate came round he said they weren’t brilliant about 4 years ago. Add to the fact the Mrs has seen them before about 6 years ago and can’t remember them….. are they worth seeing?

I've had a love/hate relationship with Primal Scream over the years, largely depending on how mardy Bobby G is on the night. But, i think they've been more consistent since Bobby cleaned up and they are touring one of my favourite albums. They're on my must see list, and barring a Macca clash I'll be there.  

Did they say what night they headline JP? 

• Upvote 1

Saw them in a tent at Bestival in 2011 on the Screamadelica tour and they blew me away. Granted, I was absolutely off my nut, but why wouldn’t you be when going to see them?

Then saw them open for the Stones in ‘13 and they were uh… less good.

Still though, I think regardless of how arsed they can be on the night the JP tent will be a great place to see them and the atmosphere will carry them. Think it’ll be a great set.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, bexj said:

I've had a love/hate relationship with Primal Scream over the years, largely depending on how mardy Bobby G is on the night. But, i think they've been more consistent since Bobby cleaned up and they are touring one of my favourite albums. They're on my must see list, and barring a Macca clash I'll be there.  

Did they say what night they headline JP? 

Friday night I believe 

• Thanks 1

Of the 8 times I have seen them 5 have been great and 3 have been terrible. Back in the 90s they were so shambolic you never knew what you were going to get. Last time I saw them was a few years back when they headlined Lakefest and they were amazing, and that was a similar size tent to the John Peel tent. 

16 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Saw them in a tent at Bestival in 2011 on the Screamadelica tour and they blew me away. Granted, I was absolutely off my nut, but why wouldn’t you be when going to see them?

Oh wow, I'd completely forgot about that set! That was great!

Anyway, I reckon they'll be great in JP - perfect place for them now. 

Their festival sets last year were pretty Screamadelica heavy. 

I'd be keen to go see them again - I've seen them once and definitely wasn't a great evening for them... But annoyingly missed them on the Screamadelica revisited tour. 

Am I right in saying they did that on Other Stage in 2011?? My mate wasn't keen.... 

One of the bands I have seen most and when they're on form they are fantastic, Bobby is a great frontman. If they are JP headliners I think that has potential to be very very good, much better than if they were on earlier in the day on a bigger stage IMO. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Then saw them open for the Stones in ‘13 and they were uh… less good.

Still though, I think regardless of how arsed they can be on the night the JP tent will be a great place to see them and the atmosphere will carry them. Think it’ll be a great set.

Vouch. Was there. Was incredible. It's the reason I'll be elsewhere this year. I will never see them better that show.

31 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Aye. Clashed with Larry Mullen Jnr and the lads.

They were absolutely fantastic that night.  It was pissing with rain throughout and I honestly forgot all about it.  Sound was bang on, band were tight and the screamadelica heavy set was perfectly judged.  

Saw them open for the stones 2 years later and it was the kind of embarrassment they can be known for. 

I reckon JPT headline spot is perfect for them, as long as they don't go too heavy on newer songs and then Bobby get's his arse in his hands because the crowd aren't up for it.

• Upvote 1