Le Guess Who? 2022 - 15th Anniversary Edition

Gilgamesh96

I really need to go to this festival.  A couple of questions:

- Does it sell out quite quickly?  

- Do we have a sense of whether this is most of the acts or will there be a lot more?

Great things that stand out to me on first glance: Mabe Fratti, Wau Wau Collectif, Moor Mother/Billy Woods, dreamcrusher, Animal Collective, clipping., Upsammy, Low, Keely Forsyth, Habibi Funk DJ, The Staples Jr. Singers, Jeff Parker, Laurel Halo, Abdullah Ibrahim, Myriam Gendron and Marina Herlop.

3 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

I really need to go to this festival.  A couple of questions:

- Does it sell out quite quickly?  

- Do we have a sense of whether this is most of the acts or will there be a lot more?

Smaller/weirder acts generally get added over time, it's usually quite a full lineup but with lots of stuff you'll have never heard of. They usually do a second announcement in early summer and then full lineup comes September-ish.

It sold out late summer last time, but as ever with festivals nowadays you can pick up stuff on resale. There's day tickets as well.

39 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Smaller/weirder acts generally get added over time, it's usually quite a full lineup but with lots of stuff you'll have never heard of. They usually do a second announcement in early summer and then full lineup comes September-ish.

It sold out late summer last time, but as ever with festivals nowadays you can pick up stuff on resale. There's day tickets as well.

Thank you, very helpful.

This is probably a very stupid question but it’s not camping is it?  And the venues are all indoor?  I guess people usually just stay in Utrecht somewhere? 

2 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Thank you, very helpful.

This is probably a very stupid question but it’s not camping is it?  And the venues are all indoor?  I guess people usually just stay in Utrecht somewhere? 

No camping, all indoors in a mixture of theatre/club/gig venues. Generally most people stay in Utrecht or Amsterdam (the trains run regularly and late), but I'll warn you in advance that accom costs in general are very high over there.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Hip Priest said:

What's it like moving from room to room or venue to venue? Are some shows hard to get into?

Yeah but arrive early enough and it's fine. 

I got into The Raincoats about 10 ins before they started and apparently 15 mins later there was a huge queue.

If you are considering going and haven't booked accommodation then do so ASAP.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

And the venues are all indoor

Most of the venues are in Tivolivredenburg which is the best multi room venue I've been to in my life. It's a stunning place. The architecture, sound quality and general feel of the space is just amazing.

There's other locations around the city including a few churches (which are equally stunning), clubs, DIY spaces etc. Importantly it's all very walkable.

There's also a lovely, small old cinema in which they put on movies that are free. I watched Keyboard Fantasies (the Beverly Glenn Copeland film) there in 2019 which was a lovely way to start the day. 

I cannot recommend LGW? enough. It's the most enriching festival I've ever been to. There's so much wonderful unusual stuff that you don't get elsewhere. 

• Upvote 2

• 4 months later...

1 hour ago, Enkidu said:

When do they usually announce set times for this?

I was trying to work this out the other day.

Last year it was only a week before it started. Hard to know though if they held back because of the uncertainty on restrictions.

Previously they were still announcing side programs up to mid October.  So I'd guess at another week at the earliest.

• Thanks 1

Any tips on getting a ticket? I'm determined to go but I'm really struggling.

I've signed up for notifications on TicketSwap but have had no success. Every time a ticket becomes available, it seems to automatically be reserved by someone else. There's 838 people wanting tickets so doesn't seem too hopeful.

Are there any other places to look?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Guy Incognito said:

https://leguesswho.com/timetable

Oki / Huerco S 

Max Cooper / Jeff Parker 

They Hate Change / Hinako Omori 

Rival Consoles / Jana Rush 

Horse Lords / Abdullah Ibrahim 

😞

It is all a bit of a mess for me 😬 Though that is often the case .

Moor Mother/Coby Set/Moundabout being a particularly annoying one.

If the timetable works, I've normally compromised on missing things by hanging around De Helling and LE:EN for an evening but the LE:EN acts don't jump out to me.

Oddly De Helling shuts up early every evening. Pure speculation but due to noise controls resulting from gentrification in the area?

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, lessthanwill1 said:

Any highlights?  Should really go to this but hard to convince someone to join!

Favourite sets were: 

KMRU and Aho SSan performing Limen 

OKI

Billy Woods followed by Dreamcrusher

Hatis Noit 

Mabe Fratti 

Lole Montoya 

Abdullah Ibrahim

Marina Herlop 

Valentin Castrier

Sote & Tarik Barri present Majestic Noise (live A/V)

Go solo! That's what I did the first year I went. Full 4 day passes already 50% sold out. Got my super early bird for about £110

I'd agree this is a good solo festival as you are bouncing around venues, you don't want to spend 10 minutes discussing whether your friend is too tired to walk 30 minutes for a Gnod side-project at a far away venue 😄

Speaking of which, favourite sets were - everything Gnod related in De Helling, Alison Cotton, Hatis Noit , Sirom, Siksa, Horse Lords