Don't pee on the land - peeing around but not in the urinals

MJP

11 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The compost bogs are brilliant, tried them out for the first time  at worthy pastures last year, it’s the future! 

It's a shame that Glastonbury has built so much infrastructure for long drops already. Many other festivals have gone 100% compost and it's a big improvement for sure, as well as a little more environmentally sound.

10 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

There's this weird psychological thing where blokes will queue up to get inside the toilets, sometimes for a few minutes, then rather than wait one more minute for a urinal, they'll piss against the wall. Now, it seems to be that several of these fuckwits would end up pissing in the toilet if a small modification was made to add urinals to the inside walls, as well as in the middle.  

Obviously this won't stop those pissing on the outside wall, but it should still save many, many litres from going on the ground.

Edit: I think I saw some of these appearing over the last couple of festivals (or at least in 2017), but they're far from widespread, and I may have imagined it.

I seem to recall when I went to Sonisphere, way back when, they actually attached some urinals to the fences at the side of the arena. I'm not really sure if this is actually a good idea or not, but I guess it does help cater to those who refuse to find the actual toilet, and would have pissed against the fence instead.

12 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Disagree that providing more facilities will alleviate the problem. I’ve seen loads of men pissing at the back of the Other Stage field rather than join the queue for the loos there, yet just a short stroll across the railway line, there were plenty more that were free. Same at junction top of Park and Pennards (near the Stonebridge). Can’t really comment on the SE corner, as I’m rarely there, but if you’re desperate, and they’re busy, just hold it in or walk elsewhere. 
I am a man of a certain age, who drinks plenty of fluids (alcohol and water) and have often been trolled at the festival, but have never felt the need to pee on the land. Ever. It’s shameful, completely unnecessary, and inexcusable.

You could provide thousands more urinals, and some idiots would still do it.

Sorry for the rant, but it really upsets me.... one of the few things I see at Glastonbury that seems completely incongruous with the vibe of the place.

Perhaps better signage directing people to the alternative toilets would help. 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

anyone make subtle /  unsubtle comments to any of the blue sheet pissers ?  i did once last time but mostly bite my tongue 

Nothing positive can come from that. Thats why we need the green police back. Public shaming in a fun way.

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Nothing positive can come from that. Thats why we need the green police back. Public shaming in a fun way.

yeah i agree .... just impulsive at the time .... and why it only happened the one time .... just frustrated me more than it did any good 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

anyone make subtle /  unsubtle comments to any of the blue sheet pissers ?  i did once last time but mostly bite my tongue 

Earlier in the day, I outright bollocked people at the urinals on the left of the Pyramid until they stopped.  There was starting to be a pattern of blokes pissing against the side of the urinal because they saw others were doing it.  I told them all off until it stopped, then everyone started using the toilets like big boys.

Sadly, later in the day, they were at it again, and in far too great numbers for me to try that approach again.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Nah fuck that.  I just told them to stop it and they did.

Sure, but all it takes is for you to say it to some lad who thinks hes a hard bastard and theres trouble. 

Although between yourself and Crazyfools headgear they might be too confused to do anything. Like when you pretend to throw a ball for a dog but hide it behind your back.

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

When I’ve seen it happening in numbers, I usually say, very loudly, to no one in particular, “Please stop pissing on the land!” then continue on my way. Don’t know if it has any impact, but makes me feel I’m at least trying to do something.

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2022 at 10:37 PM, dogeggs said:

Im quite a fan of the little urinal behind the cider bus that turns your wee into electricity. Not just because of what it does, but it’s mostly been empty when I’ve visited.

That used to be the place I mostly used too but it's gone now. 3000 more tickets sold this year but no extra toilet provision.

Making the urinals double-up to use each side of the fencing would be a big help to stop pollution. The guys on the outside of the fence are not worried about being seen.

I don't buy the excuses to be honest.  Its just fucking disgusting behaviour.  

My fella, long time fest goer, been all kinds of drunk... Never once has pissed on the land.  In fact, most of my male friends are the same.  If they can manage to get to a toilet in time then why can't everyone else. 

Lets just stop making excuses for people and start calling out this behaviour instead. The Green Police were fantastic for that...and much more impactful than the Worthy Warriors. 

On 5/11/2022 at 11:02 AM, The Nal said:

Or just put in more urinals?

that'soften not the issue for the fence pissers, there's often a space at the urinal which they don't use.

A few years back some Green fields security I know were confronting "hedge pissers" and asking to see there wristbands, then noting down the band number and informing the offender that they wouldn't be able to get a ticket in future.

This is of course nonsense, but possibly could/should be implemented.

On 7/6/2022 at 8:12 AM, Neil said:

that'soften not the issue for the fence pissers, there's often a space at the urinal which they don't use.

IICON didn't have any - i waited over half an hour for a piss on saturday night. It really needed them, hopefully will be added for next year

Edited by gfa

24 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I was a bit drunk on the Friday evening and walked along the outside of the urinals on the other side from several fence pissers - lots of "ois" as I walked along slapping the fence and shouting use the urinals. 

Hope the fence slapping wasn't too low. Or maybe it was as to create a splashback?

There could be an additional signage in busy toilet areas saying another set are X steps this way? Some toilets in the next field to one's with massive queues were empty

Used to be more presence of the piss police calling it out onsite. After the wet 2007 pyramid headliner, there was a bottleneck by a full ditch/river with numerous men pissing in it. Saw 3 people one in their 60s slide off the bank mid wee and fall into it chin deep

Edited by BumJuice
Typo

If the festival really is at risk they need to come down hard on this as the rogue pissers were out in force. Make it a condition of entry that anyone caught is automatically thrown out of the festival on the spot, no going back to pack your gear, no picking up stuff from the lockups, just out straight away. Have a drunk tank outside so they don't come to any harm as most will be wasted. Maybe allow them to retrieve the gear the next day under supervision if you wanna be nice.

Then all you need is a roaming security team of maybe 10 big fellas who just pop up at the urinals randomly and grab some of the rogue pissers and launch them out. Have them with bodycams to keep the security in check, produce evidence and also make a film for afterwards.

Once word gets around that yeah you may actually get thrown out then and only then will behaviour change. Everything else, more urinals, posters, nice people telling people not to piss in the land can also be done but changing the behaviour of dickheads needs a big stick sometimes. Probably sounds a bit fascistic but if it's a choice between the festival or the dickheads then sorry the dickheads must go.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bobsacamano said:

Probably sounds a bit fascistic but if it's a choice between the festival or the dickheads then sorry the dickheads must go.

Great idea, we need to get rid of the dickheads somehow and this may get rid of some.

There are plenty of other types of dickheads to, not sure how we get rid of them. Guess banning alcohol wouldn't go down too well.