Don't pee on the land - peeing around but not in the urinals

MJP

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Cant expect people who are pissed up/off their chops to adhere to the rules. 

Just chuck in a load more of these around those areas. Frees up the ladies loos too. No fun for them once it gets dark. 

SAM_0366_600_500_cropped.jpg

Problem with these is they overflow- as they are basically just a big bucket of piss. And once they do overflow it gets really unpleasant- because people don't stop pissing in them..

I reckon any progress on this in the last while is going to be setback by the 2 lost years.  Probably with a bunch of other things as well such as Leave No Trace.  There's going to be a knowledge gap where had things not being interrupted "the way to behave" would have been passed on to the new generation by the old.  I reckon there'll be a lot more people this year on their first Glastonbury than before.   Messaging should be more prevalent and extreme to offset this.

37 minutes ago, LeeHC said:

Problem with these is they overflow- as they are basically just a big bucket of piss. And once they do overflow it gets really unpleasant- because people don't stop pissing in them..

Yup. More urinal troughs is the way forward as they feed into the big tanks. 

It's always at its worst at the end of the last act on a big stage.  I think the worst I can remember was possibly after the stones where people were just pissing up against the heras just because it was part of the urinals setup.. 

1 hour ago, Smeble said:

It’s both and saying it’s just idiot men is naive at best. If there’s such a big queue that people are going elsewhere then it’s very much a problem of provision of facilities.

The problem is still the men in that case. It's just that they're impatient, rather than idiotic. 

I don't disagree that more facilities would help, but it's a shame that it comes to that rather than people just having a bit of patience. 

I have found that Glastonbury is the most difficult festival to go to the toilet at, compared to most festivals I've been to.

One thing about Glastonbury, is that I noticed toilets often seem really oversubscribed even in the quieter campsites. Its pretty typical for toilets to get overwhelmed around the stages, but actually there also seems to be a bit of a shortage in the campsites too.

Granted, a lot of these issues are due to the festivals very large size, and number of punters, which makes it more of a logistical challenge than other events. It's not just about having enough toilets, but also having them in the right places, and with enough capacity to handle demand peaks.

There isn't really much solution, other than to just have a lot more toilets/urinals. But then your festival would be full of toilets, and who wants to go to a festival which is just wall to wall blocks of toilets?

Campsite toilets are busy in the morning, toilets near stages are busy in between acts. If you don't want to queue, walk five minutes to the next block of toilets and there probably won't be a queue. I don't think I've ever queued more than 2 minutes for a toilet at Glastonbury.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FakeEmpire said:

There was definitely a lot less of this in 2019 - the message is getting through.

But a simple solution is more urinals in those obvious spots. Dance village, SE corner, West Holts, Other Stage all need more toilets.

Not sure that's true, I saw loads of it in 2019, mainly in the SE Corner. Had a few words with them, as did my female pal. They would have been queueing less than 2 minutes had they waited.

As others have said more urinals would definitely help with the situation. However, have to say, I usually find the toilet situation at Glastonbury better than some festivals. Having seen the nightmare situation at Boardmasters last year where there were toilets all backed up and some were in such an appalling state you couldn't use them at all, the toilets at Glastonbury are luxury by contrast!

3 hours ago, Smeble said:

200000 people produce way more piss than a couple of hundred cattle, it’s the volume in a short period of time that’s the issue, plus apart from some that may be on antibiotics, cattle aren’t putting various drugs into the land via their pee.

Cows moo loudly for no reason. And they shit everywhere too. 

3 hours ago, clarkete said:

The women are partying too, they have less loos available and yet they aren't doing it (apart from very rare exceptions) 

I agree with your general point, but as a tangent I witnessed one of the exceptions in 2013… a girl got her friends to stand in a circle around her, squatted down & had a wee in the middle of the crowd at the Sonic tent while Rudimental were on. Only realised what she’d done after I saw the puddle, gross. 🤢 

Back in 2016, ticketless, I entered the competition to design a ‘Don’t Pee on the land’ poster to win tickets… as it happens I didn’t win (someone has already posted the winning entry in this thread)… I got EXTREMELY lucky and snagged tickets for me and the Mrs in a secret resale in about May of that year…

Imagine the surprise when I saw the green police brandishing my poster at several times through the weekend! Here I am surrounded by Green Police ladies with my poster, somewhere near the railway track as I recall!

Definitely no excuse for not using the toilets these days, regardless of where you are or what state you’re in. 

BBA9BF0E-84E5-4911-B80A-D2540D097738.jpeg

• Like 1

Chucking cans, empty food wrappers, half eaten pies etc in the urinal troughs causes problems with blockages as does those who miss the troughs by piddling on the ground or splattering the blue walls. It leaves the bogs rancid. Cher has a song Walking in Memphis. There’s a cover version dedicated to festival toilets called Walking in Manpiss by the bar steward sons of Val doonican. Very apt. 

3 hours ago, jimmillen said:

I agree with your general point, but as a tangent I witnessed one of the exceptions in 2013… a girl got her friends to stand in a circle around her, squatted down & had a wee in the middle of the crowd at the Sonic tent while Rudimental were on. Only realised what she’d done after I saw the puddle, gross. 🤢 

A girl did a dump surrounded by a ring of her friends watching Ben Howard at Other Stage. Absolutely savage. 

Disagree that providing more facilities will alleviate the problem. I’ve seen loads of men pissing at the back of the Other Stage field rather than join the queue for the loos there, yet just a short stroll across the railway line, there were plenty more that were free. Same at junction top of Park and Pennards (near the Stonebridge). Can’t really comment on the SE corner, as I’m rarely there, but if you’re desperate, and they’re busy, just hold it in or walk elsewhere. 
I am a man of a certain age, who drinks plenty of fluids (alcohol and water) and have often been trolled at the festival, but have never felt the need to pee on the land. Ever. It’s shameful, completely unnecessary, and inexcusable.

You could provide thousands more urinals, and some idiots would still do it.

Sorry for the rant, but it really upsets me.... one of the few things I see at Glastonbury that seems completely incongruous with the vibe of the place.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The compost bogs are brilliant, tried them out for the first time  at worthy pastures last year, it’s the future! 

Im quite a fan of the little urinal behind the cider bus that turns your wee into electricity. Not just because of what it does, but it’s mostly been empty when I’ve visited.

3 hours ago, thazlewood said:

Back in 2016, ticketless, I entered the competition to design a ‘Don’t Pee on the land’ poster to win tickets… as it happens I didn’t win (someone has already posted the winning entry in this thread)… I got EXTREMELY lucky and snagged tickets for me and the Mrs in a secret resale in about May of that year…

Imagine the surprise when I saw the green police brandishing my poster at several times through the weekend! Here I am surrounded by Green Police ladies with my poster, somewhere near the railway track as I recall!

Definitely no excuse for not using the toilets these days, regardless of where you are or what state you’re in. 

BBA9BF0E-84E5-4911-B80A-D2540D097738.jpeg

I need you!

To use the... Toilet? 

Not loo?

Edited by stuartbert two hats

There's this weird psychological thing where blokes will queue up to get inside the toilets, sometimes for a few minutes, then rather than wait one more minute for a urinal, they'll piss against the wall. Now, it seems to be that several of these fuckwits would end up pissing in the toilet if a small modification was made to add urinals to the inside walls, as well as in the middle.  

Obviously this won't stop those pissing on the outside wall, but it should still save many, many litres from going on the ground.

Edit: I think I saw some of these appearing over the last couple of festivals (or at least in 2017), but they're far from widespread, and I may have imagined it.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

57 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Disagree that providing more facilities will alleviate the problem. I’ve seen loads of men pissing at the back of the Other Stage field rather than join the queue for the loos there, yet just a short stroll across the railway line, there were plenty more that were free. Same at junction top of Park and Pennards (near the Stonebridge). Can’t really comment on the SE corner, as I’m rarely there, but if you’re desperate, and they’re busy, just hold it in or walk elsewhere. 
I am a man of a certain age, who drinks plenty of fluids (alcohol and water) and have often been trolled at the festival, but have never felt the need to pee on the land. Ever. It’s shameful, completely unnecessary, and inexcusable.

You could provide thousands more urinals, and some idiots would still do it.

Sorry for the rant, but it really upsets me.... one of the few things I see at Glastonbury that seems completely incongruous with the vibe of the place.

It's a numbers game. Dickheads are always going to dickhead, I agree. But these people are so lacking in thought that if you make it piss easy (pun intended) to do the right thing, it increases the chance that they will. Every drop counts. If more toilets can reduce X number of litres from going in the rivers, then it's worth it. Obviously it won't stop the problem entirely.

7 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I need you!

To use the... Toilet? 

Not loo?

Yeah, I’m no marketing genius and I seem to have missed a trick there… in my defence, ‘toilet’ seemed more ‘Kitchener-esque’ than ‘loo’ at the time… either way, I got a kick out of seeing my design in use!