Don't pee on the land - peeing around but not in the urinals

MJP

I'm mainly posting this in the hope that someone from GFL is looking at it. The contact form is broken and any email address I've tried to guess doesn't work. 😄

Peeing on the land tends to still be a problem despite the pledges and posters.

I found it to be a particular problem around urinals, especially in the SE Corner, where guys would just piss in the corner of the tarpaulin-lined fencing instead of queuing.

I wonder whether the festival might want to put some posters/signs in the corners of the waiting area for the urinals asking people not to piss in the bloody corners.

Rant over.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, mazola said:

The absolute idiots who pee against the urinal fencing should be kicked out, what the hell is wrong with these people

Cant expect people who are pissed up/off their chops to adhere to the rules. 

Just chuck in a load more of these around those areas. Frees up the ladies loos too. No fun for them once it gets dark. 

SAM_0366_600_500_cropped.jpg

Some people will always be dickheads. If there is free wall space around the urinals and the queues are big, people will piss there. I think it's ridiculous but it always happens. Just stick urinals along all of the sides and you solve that problem.

Reading actually does this really well. 

The Green Police were great. Remember one year up in the Stone Circle a few people pissing over at the trees and they came along and blew the whistles etc. Shamed him. No more pissing from anyone and the thousands of other people there go the message too you'd assume.

Although the cows are allowed to piss on the farm and they piss much more than us so theres an argument that this is some sort of discrimination against humans. 

18 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Cant expect dickheads to adhere to the rules. 

FTFY

I get it, but I've been blitzed and / or out of my noodle and managed to never piss anywhere other than where I'm meant to while I'm there.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Quark said:

FTFY

I get it, but I've been blitzed and / or out of my noodle and managed to never piss anywhere other than where I'm meant to while I'm there.

Aye, there's no excuse and you see it happening even with no queue - lazy gits.  The women are partying too, they have less loos available and yet they aren't doing it (apart from very rare exceptions) 

I miss the green police and also the allotted times we'd be asked to clean up our patch near a stage and given bags to do so. 

It always surprises me that there is only one block of toilets in the Pyramid field, I'm sure there's a reason as to why but its always been a pain if I've had to go during an act (especially later at night) as it takes about 15 mins to get to and from the nearest ones then another 15 to find your mates again. 😄 

Edited by gooner1990

The answer is more urinals, if you go and there’s a massive queue people are going to be less fussed about peeing in the right place, especially once they have had a few. No good just saying don’t pee on the land, you have to provide enough toilets to meet demand.

in itself peeing on the ground is not an issue, millions of animals do it multiple times a day, it’s the volume in concentrated areas that’s the issue.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

The Green Police were great. Remember one year up in the Stone Circle a few people pissing over at the trees and they came along and blew the whistles etc. Shamed him. No more pissing from anyone and the thousands of other people there go the message too you'd assume.

Although the cows are allowed to piss on the farm and they piss much more than us so theres an argument that this is some sort of discrimination against humans. 

200000 people produce way more piss than a couple of hundred cattle, it’s the volume in a short period of time that’s the issue, plus apart from some that may be on antibiotics, cattle aren’t putting various drugs into the land via their pee.

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

the problem is not with the urinal preovision, but with idiot men who need potty training.

It’s both and saying it’s just idiot men is naive at best. If there’s such a big queue that people are going elsewhere then it’s very much a problem of provision of facilities.

• Upvote 1

This online:

Attendees at Glastonbury Festival, the U.K.'s largest music festival, have caused a significant increase in drug pollution in the river because of their toxic urination habits.

Researchers and scientists are asking for patrons to change their habits of public urination at the festival. According to Newsweek, scientists found damaging traces of drugs in the Glastonbury river.

The Whitelake and Redlake rivers flow by the Glastonbury Festival site. Back in 2019, scientists measured the water quality before, during, and after the festival both upstream and downstream of the festival location.

They specifically tested for popular drugs like MDMA, cocaine, and benzoylecgonine. Researchers reportedly didn't find any drastic changes but did find "notable traces" of all three drugs in the Whitelake site. They also found that the drug levels were 104 times higher downstream of the festival than they were upstream. Additionally, the levels of MDMA were high enough to be harmful to aquatic life and wildlife.

I think we need to be a little more honest with ourselves around this issue.

No doubt there are some dickheads who don't give a fuck and will merrily piss anywhere and everywhere, but more urinal troughs would definitely make a huge difference in cutting down those who get caught short drunk in the dark and think 'fuck it once won't hurt'. If you put 150,000 people in a field and feed them beer all day some of them will suddenly need to go, and if they can't get to a toilet quick enough they'll opt for wherever they can find over wetting their pants. Whilst it's mostly blokes women certainly aren't immune to this, despite being more used to patiently queuing. Seen plenty of ladies having a sly squat over the years.

Pissing on the land will never be completely eliminated, and toilet provision whilst far better than it used to be still has room for improvement.

• Upvote 1