Let's talk about showers

jed300

11 minutes ago, PassingCloud said:

I have one of these and had similar thought. May sling it in the van just in case. Only ever used with water as I got it to was the dog down. Cost less than £10 from Lidl. 
You’d probably need someone to hose you down. 
My only issue with ‘showering’ by tent is creating a wet muddy area. Don’t want that when the rest of the site is definitely going to be bone dry. 

I have a proper fancy brand one with a quite long hose. I think you may actually use less water than with a bottle because covering more space with a mist?

Or just bring in a watering hose head thingy, plug it to a tap and go crazy! (joking of course)

On 5/10/2022 at 10:57 AM, cheesey_toastie said:

Outside your Tent with a water container, a cloth and some environmentally friendly soap

Cost: Free

Towels Available: If you like

System: Get up, wear shorts, give yourself a scrub

Times: Usually when hungover

I just don a pair of shorts, bring a cloth and job is a good 'un! 

My man has the answers. 

I developed a routine that I absolutely love bc I feel head to toe clean and legit feel like I’ve had a shower once I’m dry n dressed. 

you need flip flops, baggy Board shorts & a decent sized jug. 

I normally do this at the taps but you can do it at camp if you have a water supply. 
Just yeet jugs loads over you like a shower head & pour it down the shorts for the more intimate areas. 

One year I had a plastic crate to stand on which was idea bc water dropped though but you weren’t in the mud patch. 

7 hours ago, moogster said:

Or just bring in a watering hose head thingy, plug it to a tap and go crazy! (joking of course)

Pre caravan ownership I did that but attached it to a 2 litre water bottle back at the tent! 👍

Rechargeable battery powered shower, collapsible bucket, pop up shower tent. Spare water container for shower filled up at night. Leave out in sun, extra bit of warmth through some water boiled on the stove. Pop up the tent every morning and down again. Works a treat, feels so much better and refreshed.

We have had this for years now, it's great. 

Edited by Levitz

On 5/10/2022 at 11:43 AM, Justcalledtosay said:

Doubles as a temporary toilet so no midnight excursions especially for the girls. The cubicle is a 5 minute pop up job too. Win win.

Why are you so special that you need your own personal toilet? It’s very selfish. What if everyone brought their own?

Have you considered that it’ll take up valuable camping space? Have you considered that your neighbours won’t appreciate you peeing and pooping near their tents? Have you considered how to safely and hygienically dispose of human waste? The toilet blocks exist for good reasons.

If you and ‘the girls’ (pretty low to make out like it’s for them) can’t cope with a midnight excursion (or, God forbid, peeing in a tent), then perhaps a camping festival isn’t for you. Maybe try Radio 1’s Big Weekend?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

Just to understand, showers at Kidz Field offer a towel but you need to use your own shampoo while the ones at Greenpeace offer their own shampoo free of charge but you need to take your towel. Is this correct? 

Yup. Easy enough to carry a mini bottle of whatever in the pocket and nip in if youre passing by and theres no queue. 

Would anyone recommend dry shampoo? I suspect I won't get round to having a shower and to be honest I can bear going without as long as I have some Lynx Java to mask the scent, but I do get an itchy scalp at about day 3. Will dry shampoo have any effect on this?

8 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Would anyone recommend dry shampoo? I suspect I won't get round to having a shower and to be honest I can bear going without as long as I have some Lynx Java to mask the scent, but I do get an itchy scalp at about day 3. Will dry shampoo have any effect on this?

The secret to dry shampoo is to use it from day one. If you wait until your hair is greasy it doesn’t work as well. A little bit every day should make your hair a little better. 

35 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Dry shampoo makes my head more itchy to be honest, maybe try it before you go 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

Washing your hair in a collapsible bowl is easy 🙂 Hold your head over the bowl and use a metal cup to pour over the water. Don't use too much shampoo or you'll have to change water half way through rinsing. 🙂 

3 hours ago, AlexOvd said:

Just to understand, showers at Kidz Field offer a towel but you need to use your own shampoo while the ones at Greenpeace offer their own shampoo free of charge but you need to take your towel. Is this correct? 

That's interesting. Kidz Field will be our local one's this time. Not sure whether I'll actually attempt to make use of them this time or not, but nice to know I don't need a towel in the bag

29 minutes ago, mufcok said:

That's interesting. Kidz Field will be our local one's this time. Not sure whether I'll actually attempt to make use of them this time or not, but nice to know I don't need a towel in the bag

Not sure if it was true, I was just asking as it way make it way easier to have a express shower anytime. 

On 6/4/2022 at 11:39 AM, Young Jim said:

Why are you so special that you need your own personal toilet? It’s very selfish. What if everyone brought their own?

Have you considered that it’ll take up valuable camping space? Have you considered that your neighbours won’t appreciate you peeing and pooping near their tents? Have you considered how to safely and hygienically dispose of human waste? The toilet blocks exist for good reasons.

If you and ‘the girls’ (pretty low to make out like it’s for them) can’t cope with a midnight excursion (or, God forbid, peeing in a tent), then perhaps a camping festival isn’t for you. Maybe try Radio 1’s Big Weekend?

Are you ok @Young Jim?

38 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Actually I’m with @Young Jim on this one. Peeps put a toilet tent right next to us one year after we’d set up and we’d have to listen to them shitting every morning. If I wanted to camp next to a shitter, I’d well… camp next to a shitter.

We pop up and pop down our shower tent every morning as we always fear someone would come and take a dump in it if we left it up. Not something I'd want to experience finding. 

16 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Actually I’m with @Young Jim on this one. Peeps put a toilet tent right next to us one year after we’d set up and we’d have to listen to them shitting every morning. If I wanted to camp next to a shitter, I’d well… camp next to a shitter.

There were so many (incorrect) assumptions in his post that it really wasn't worth correcting. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2022 at 9:00 AM, bennyboi said:

My man has the answers. 

I developed a routine that I absolutely love bc I feel head to toe clean and legit feel like I’ve had a shower once I’m dry n dressed. 

you need flip flops, baggy Board shorts & a decent sized jug. 

I normally do this at the taps but you can do it at camp if you have a water supply. 
Just yeet jugs loads over you like a shower head & pour it down the shorts for the more intimate areas. 

One year I had a plastic crate to stand on which was idea bc water dropped though but you weren’t in the mud patch. 

Don’t be a tap w*nker. 

On 6/4/2022 at 11:39 AM, Young Jim said:

I take an Oasis or fabric conditioner bottle (dont mean to brag but it wont fit in a coke bottle size opening) Its a blessing when your busting at 6am, especially if its raining. 

Edited by bennyboi

11 minutes ago, CH0161 said:

Lost Horizons showers.... cubicles or communal?

cubicle but open if that makes sense?  You just walk into your own cubicle but there's nothing to shut behind you and anyone walking past to the next one will be able to see you