Let's talk about showers

jed300

35 minutes ago, dizzymoo said:

An excellent piece of kit. We have a caravan with its own shower, but we use this as it saves time (just heat water on the stove rather than waiting for the water heater), and battery power as you don't need to use the caravan's pump. You only need a couple of litres of warm water for a luxurious feeling shower. A bit bulky if you're carrying everything on site though!

Also have one of those, my luxury item in recent years. Arrived by train last time and was still able to carry it OK. If your rucksack is a decent size you can take the main water container in the bag and stuff it full of all your clothes/items that will fit through the top. Then put the pump part in an Ikea bag with other bits I was carrying.

4 minutes ago, LeeHC said:

I thought it was that single use plastic couldn't be sold rather than taken in? I could be wrong!

Thats correct. the 'plastic ban' is for on site traders, they cannot sell single use plastic, eg water bottles, cuttlery etc

punters can still bring in whatever they like in plastic containers.

Another light DIY option is to use a small flexible container (tubtrug is one type), 5L size. They can easily fit in your bag around other stuff while being more stable than a collapsible container. Add flannel and microfibre towel for a sponge bath. Combine with solar shower to warm up the water you use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tubtrugs-SP5P-Flexible-Purple-Capacity/dp/B008XX9X8Q/ref=sr_1_25?crid=JV439YPWGK41&keywords=tubtrugs&qid=1652186854&sprefix=tubtrugs%2Caps%2C70&sr=8-25

Edited by cerv

Collapsible washing up bowl £6 from Dunelm. Fill with water from the taps and give yourself a wash outside your tent each morning with body and hair wash. Feel fresh every morning and 100x better than using wet wipes. Don't waste festival time queuing for showers

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I was never fussed by showers before I stayed in Worthy View, but they are a game changer. Really help blow away the hangover from the night before.

Absolutely this - I need a shower to blow the cobwebs out. Even day to day I don't really feel awake until I'm showered. Have managed to shower most days at every festival I've been to, which usually means going at unusual times / early. Sunday morning 2017 I actually showered at 6.30am on my way home from the SEC. 

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

We lucked out last time and were up at the top end near the hill down into the festival and an easy walk to the showers.

I only ever used the urinals at the toilets. Morning ablutions were saved for the long drops as soon as you entered through the gate, which were always empty and pristine.

This is wrong though. Shit THEN shower, not the other way round. Especially when you're as hirsute as I am. 

1 minute ago, blutarsky said:

Absolutely this - I need a shower to blow the cobwebs out. Even day to day I don't really feel awake until I'm showered. Have managed to shower most days at every festival I've been to, which usually means going at unusual times / early. Sunday morning 2017 I actually showered at 6.30am on my way home from the SEC. 

This is wrong though. Shit THEN shower, not the other way round. Especially when you're as hirsute as I am. 

This is the way

My approach - if there's half an hour or so in the afternoon when you're not bothered by any of the bands, grab a shower then. Put a microfibre towel in your day bag, nip in while passing, and usually no queue after about 3-4pm.

37 minutes ago, offmytrolley said:

Came here to say this! My one is a bit cheaper looking but it's great fun. Put some swimshorts on, go somewhere where it doesn't matter if you make the ground wet, then take turns spraying each other. It's good as you just fill it up at the taps then move on, so you're not holding other people up and making a load of mud around the taps by washing there.

My one attaches to a regular bottle (500ml, 2l, whatever) so takes up less space:

image.png.cb80de1786ad590832d145f76dc43151.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384872761395?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item599c344833:g:G7wAAOSwbYZic9No&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAAA4I3ykRIdV9ArrZo4vE5nh5uOTeaSH7Gs5%2BuTSaKJUCg1sHsCs4ttH%2Fuv7%2Bwun4sVSnfU2RqD1prYZUi7MbJtABGDqg8v%2FemvrDaq9%2F1ZsMXTAeQvq0ajwUdFSn34MDSA6gIit7%2BwaSktWKPpT5TP95o5RIp%2FVUe%2FQT1MhcENGlDegcACJOxKCZNetmpHayHwGmVP1qiuZdzOYpGVIo%2FxcrBTuHHV5A9i9P31BRwkgPAV2Vt9uaEI6zYxEfmxC%2BkGXvL%2BEGSszuItM9rEDlRDQuaz9CEGlIZaUkhUJ%2BkJPlOL|tkp%3ABFBMmviz35Vg

This is incredibly tempting! Worst comes to worst, I'll just use it in the garden.

Screw it - I'm buying one.

16 minutes ago, MaseTMT said:

Collapsible washing up bowl £6 from Dunelm. Fill with water from the taps and give yourself a wash outside your tent each morning with body and hair wash. Feel fresh every morning and 100x better than using wet wipes. Don't waste festival time queuing for showers

Pretty much what I do, albeit I boil some water for a cuppa first thing and use the rest for some luke warm water.  Go back in tent and wash myself head to toe. A couple of times I'll stick my head in the bowl and wash the hair.. job done and fresh. 

15 minutes ago, incident said:

My approach - if there's half an hour or so in the afternoon when you're not bothered by any of the bands, grab a shower then. Put a microfibre towel in your day bag, nip in while passing, and usually no queue after about 3-4pm.

I've stayed in Worthy View the last few times I've been for reasons that I don't need to go into here BUT this was my exact approach before we switched. Don't plan a shower into your day, just grab one whenever you're near Greenpeace. In and out in twenty minutes at that time of day. 

2 hours ago, TheDayman said:

Still a lot of hassle to avoid the toilets imo. The long drops are part of the festival experience, I don't think they're as bad as they're made out to be.

As one efester mentioned already though, hopefully your mates have good aim and it doesn't stop your friend from bringing it home with him/her 😂

It's to avoid the mid-night excursion to the toilet (not avoid them in their entirety) and using travel janes/john only. Hell of a lot more sanitary that using lenor bottles in your own tent for example..

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Northtim said:

Only time I started to lose my good Glasto vibes was when queuing for campsite water tap and waiting for people to wash and shampoo.  I hope you do it when no one else is waiting as it is very annoying for others queuing to fill a water bottle.

The tap water and sink was separate to the field tap so there was never any disruption to those who needed to fill bottles or wash up.

3 hours ago, Charm said:

Hey lovely, Greenpeace showers shut down last time, something to do with lack of water, Sams Magic Hat was still going and you got to tell people off if they took too long, was fun x

Sad news! I missed the last one (ticket woes) and always liked this as a bit of a Glastonbury institution.... but I have never tried Sams Magic Hat so I guess this could be my year! 

6 minutes ago, marktea said:

Sad news! I missed the last one (ticket woes) and always liked this as a bit of a Glastonbury institution.... but I have never tried Sams Magic Hat so I guess this could be my year! 

Hey lovely, think it was a site wide problem, hopefully they will be normal this time, would recommend the magic hat, the people who run it are so nice, watch out tho as they do like to hide your shoes x

This is a really useful thread. I went on a long solo mission on the Saturday in 2019 on the hunt for a shower - free or paid, only to find out they'd all been turned off. I can live without it, but a proper shower at a festival is a game changer in my opinion and the old bottle over the head job at the campsite doesn't cut it for me.

Definitely interested in knowing all of the options as I don't think it was clear from the map / guide lanyard - but this is maybe more a reflection of my mind state on day four of the festival. Would happily pay a tenner or so for a decent hot shower there if you can also rent towels etc and there's not a ridiculous queue.

Will look into getting one of the campsite shower products people are posting as they look like a great shout when it's hot.

Edited by sildante
wording

4 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

This and some swimming shorts are my method of choice along with an eco friendly shower gel …. Also came in handy in one of the hot years in the slalom queue at gate A where I’d chucked a shed load of ice cubes and water in it people in the queue appreciated it also 

A1035E35-8965-4E39-A74E-37143B65F4F1.jpeg

This is what we used for a few years...works absolutely brilliantly...we used to boil the kettle to add a bit of warmth to the water. You just pump it up and you don't need anywhere to hang it. It's a winner. Nowadays we're over at Lovefields and have a hot shower every day, its a game changer.