Let's talk about showers

jed300

Just now, gfa said:

Anyone got a recommendation for one of those fold up water carrier kinda things, ie like 25L holder that compacts as small as possible but is cheap still?

I need to get a new one myself was so googling last night. I know I got one really cheap Yellowstone one before but they all seem more expensive these days... Decathlon has one for £10

14 minutes ago, marktea said:

Have only ever used Greenpeace other than when camping off-site one year. No towels but the ticketing system worked well  and definitely a good option, particularly on a hot year - which of course will include this year! 

Hey lovely, Greenpeace showers shut down last time, something to do with lack of water, Sams Magic Hat was still going and you got to tell people off if they took too long, was fun x

1 minute ago, TheDayman said:

I need to get a new one myself was so googling last night. I know I got one really cheap Yellowstone one before but they all seem more expensive these days... Decathlon has one for £10

got a link / product name?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-jerrycan-10l/_/R-p-303364?mc=8513669

this one right? looks decent

double edit: found this on ebay more what i was thinking, £8

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125082056489?hash=item1d1f78b729:g:kL8AAOSwqGVhaX6-

Edited by gfa

2 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I’m in Worthy View this year first time. What’s craic with showers there?

There's a massive block of showers at the top of the hill.

Busiest times unsurprisingly are about 9-12. I usually go when I'm up at around 8ish and usually don't have to queue longer than 15-20 minutes.

• Upvote 1

Two cloths, Boil enough water after having an early morning tea, water into a bowl and soak a cloth, a good rub down with the hot cloth starting with face before the other bits. Then use the other pre soaked cloth to freshen up. Wash out both cloths, hang up to dry for next morning. 

I camped on Big Ground in 2019. Every morning my sister and her boyfriend attempted to shower in Kidz Field and by the time they gave up and returned the remaining 3 of us were all done, hair and body washed from the field tap a few metres away. We were left with slightly muddy feet after but just rinsed those off last and we were good to go! On the first day it was just us that used it, but each day after saw more and more people join.

It was the most refreshing start to the day, cleared the head, was a laugh with everyone there, and my hair has never felt better!!

32 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Anyone got any thoughts on best ways to self-shower now that single use plastics are banned?

They're not banned are they? Just the stalls banned from selling them, can still bring them in yourself - not sure how you're showering with them though!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

got a link / product name?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-jerrycan-10l/_/R-p-303364?mc=8513669

this one right? looks decent

double edit: found this on ebay more what i was thinking, £8

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125082056489?hash=item1d1f78b729:g:kL8AAOSwqGVhaX6-

Sorry, I thought you meant a basin for washing (like this https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/folding-camping-bowl-8-litres/_/R-p-123205 )

I did bring one of those water carriers before though. Again it was a cheap Yellowstone one but the water out of it ended up not only being undrinkable but also terrible for washing too due to the plastic taste/smell (I had washed it multiple times with bicarbonate of soda before we left too). It was waste for us in the end but if you do go for one, I'd advise maybe not cheap out on that particular item.

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

They're not banned are they? Just the stalls banned from selling them, can still bring them in yourself - not sure how you're showering with them though!

Lather up, plunge the bottle into the water bucket and then pour the water over your head, quick pit wash and then more water down your bags to clean your dangly bobbins. Then another bottle to wash off. Can actually have a good shower with a litre of water. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

What time do the Greenpeace showers open?

Realistically I'll be asleep but I like to pretend I'm more of a functioning human than I am. 

From memory I think they officially open at 8am, though they nearly always open earlier than that. We used to head down for about 7:30 and only once they weren't open. At that time I nearly always used to walk straight in, though sometimes saw a bit of a queue when leaving.

You'll need to bring your own towel and you have to use their eco friendly shower gel/shampoo but they are free (donation optional) and clean, even in 2016.

As others have said, if you go when there's a queue you grab a ticket and they'll give you a rough time so you can mooch about and don't need to stand in the queue

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Doubles as a temporary toilet so no midnight excursions especially for the girls. The cubicle is a 5 minute pop up job too. Win win.

Still a lot of hassle to avoid the toilets imo. The long drops are part of the festival experience, I don't think they're as bad as they're made out to be.

As one efester mentioned already though, hopefully your mates have good aim and it doesn't stop your friend from bringing it home with him/her 😂

I must admit, I am tempted by Lost horizons for a relaxing massage and shower to properly refresh myself this year.  

It depends on what the weather is like to be honest.  If we have another scorcher then all I'll need is a collapsible bucket, shower gel and a flannel to have a good enough 'shower' to feel clean enough.

If it's a cold or wet one, I don't think I'd be able to cope with a cold shower and would definitely treat myself to a morning at the lost horizons.

The problem with showers at glastonbury is: being all nice and clean after a couple of days of rolling around full of smells, you really notice how other people are all of a sudden much more stinky by comparison. There's a lot to be said for holding on til you get home on the monday before having a great long shower and cleaning off a good week's worth of stench - that initial moment of getting under the shower and cleaning yourself - oof, its blissful. 

That said i'll be in the Oxfield this year so i can have showers if i fancy em 😊

This and some swimming shorts are my method of choice along with an eco friendly shower gel …. Also came in handy in one of the hot years in the slalom queue at gate A where I’d chucked a shed load of ice cubes and water in it people in the queue appreciated it also 

A1035E35-8965-4E39-A74E-37143B65F4F1.jpeg

Never bothered with a shower previously, but as we were with Oxfam last time I ended up having a couple, and have to admit it was nice.

Not interested in  queuing up or missing part of the day to have one, but was wondering if there are any 24hrs ones? would it be possible to nip in at the early hours somewhere on my way back to the tent?

34 minutes ago, jadeymon said:

I camped on Big Ground in 2019. Every morning my sister and her boyfriend attempted to shower in Kidz Field and by the time they gave up and returned the remaining 3 of us were all done, hair and body washed from the field tap a few metres away. We were left with slightly muddy feet after but just rinsed those off last and we were good to go! On the first day it was just us that used it, but each day after saw more and more people join.

It was the most refreshing start to the day, cleared the head, was a laugh with everyone there, and my hair has never felt better!!

Only time I started to lose my good Glasto vibes was when queuing for campsite water tap and waiting for people to wash and shampoo.  I hope you do it when no one else is waiting as it is very annoying for others queuing to fill a water bottle.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4