Another food thread…

Hugh Jass II

7 minutes ago, gfa said:

There's already 100 stages and 1000s of acts, i can't try and make a food clashfinder too! Especially when i'm shit faced, i'm going to the first decent looking one i see!

Yes but with research you could know the best ones around all the main stages. 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Yes but with research you could know the best ones around all the main stages. 

Good point, have you got a good list you could direct me to? 🙂 

23 hours ago, balti-pie said:

a scottish food van would be great actually, lorne sausage and tattie scone in a morning roll with a pint of tea and i'd be ready to take on the world! 

Think this every year! Being able to roll out of the tent and get a roll and square, maybe whack an egg or a tattie scone on there if the night was particularly heavy... Ooft. Missing a trick they are. I'd be round at least once a day.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, oakdown said:

Think this every year! Being able to roll out of the tent and get a roll and square, maybe whack an egg or a tattie scone on there if the night was particularly heavy... Ooft. Missing a trick they are. I'd be round at least once a day.

they could transition from breakfast stuff to lunchy/dinnery haggis, neeps and tatties quite seamlessly as well as getting the fryers out and doing some haggis pakoras etc. Plus irn bru slushies with a bit of Buckfast? smoked salmon bagels too? highland toffee vodka shots? so many possibilities 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

they could transition from breakfast stuff to lunchy/dinnery haggis, neeps and tatties quite seamlessly as well as getting the fryers out and doing some haggis pakoras etc. Plus irn bru slushies with a bit of Buckfast? smoked salmon bagels too? highland toffee vodka shots? so many possibilities 

When T in the park was still going they used to have an area called healthy T, it was all Scottish produce, oysters from Loch Fyne, haggis and tatties, Cullen skink etc, the food was amazing!!

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

God, I'm about to go out for a run and you've got me drooling on the keyboard. 

Wonder if anywhere that does pizza and has a fryer could be convinced to MacGyver a pizza crunch.

On 5/9/2022 at 2:00 PM, incident said:

They're confirmed as gone from Bearded Theory, with the reason being that they've stopped doing festivals.

I guess it's possible that Glastonbury is an unannounced exception, but it wouldn't make much sense.

Nope, I think they've closed up completely. They've sold the cafe in Ambleside too. I got my dates wrong and went for one final thali but they'd already closed. Gutted.

12 minutes ago, ManLj said:

What food do you take with you, for snacking etc. throughout the weekend?

It's been a long time since I thought about it and i'm not in my twenties anymore, need to get some decent snacks to keep me going.

Was some good chat on another thread recently about Stroopwoffels, very solid snack choice. 

Highly recommend making your own trail mix with dried fruit & nuts (assuming you like those things!) - pick up big bags cheap at Aldi, mix up a batch then parcel out into individual portions. It’s one of my favourite snacks, you get energy from the fruit and a bit of protein & fats from the nuts. 🙂

18 minutes ago, ManLj said:

What food do you take with you, for snacking etc. throughout the weekend?

It's been a long time since I thought about it and i'm not in my twenties anymore, need to get some decent snacks to keep me going.

Usually just cereal bars, loads of crisps and some very occasionally and begrudgingly eaten apples, which are mainly for good intention. 

10 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

The best thing I ate at Green Man last year was a serving of paella - it was so, so good. I foolishly did not note the stall name - but I am going to have my eyes open each day of Glasto on the hunt for it 🤞

Paelleria? If so they are usually in Williams Green.

palleria.jpg.8662a31ca886aa686c85c7115f8a03fc.jpg

2 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

The best thing I ate at Green Man last year was a serving of paella - it was so, so good. I foolishly did not note the stall name - but I am going to have my eyes open each day of Glasto on the hunt for it 🤞

One facing the Mountain stage? Was tasty but I’d pick Paellaria mentioned above over it! (Not the best pic 🙄)

9548DAC8-C9B8-4B51-8419-71E7EBBE1345.jpeg

Edited by Ged Devereux

On 5/9/2022 at 3:14 PM, balti-pie said:

i dont think Pieminister have been at glastonbury since about 2014. i miss em too. The veggie and vegan pies are absolutely top as well. There's a pie bakery near to me, Piglet's pantry, who supply Brighton and Hove Albion (and Leicester, weirdly) and while i dont support them, i have a few mates who do - and when there's a spare ticket i'll go along. Perhaps 50% for the pie and 50% for the football 👍 they have a wonderful way with a herby pastry!

I had an exceptional Balti Pie at the Albion (West Brom, home of...) the other day and thought of you 😄

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, irnkrtn said:

I had an exceptional Balti Pie at the Albion (West Brom, home of...) the other day and thought of you 😄

🤣🤣🤣👍🏻 I’m truly honoured! I’ve not been to the Hawthorns, away tickets are such a ballache to get hold of that my ground hopping tends to be non league these days. One day I’ll write a pie review of all 92 league clubs inside a season, when my lottery numbers come up - then I’ll do Scotland as well, and the full non league scene down to step 6, and then perhaps die due to overconsumption of delicious pastry products . . . 

9 hours ago, balti-pie said:

🤣🤣🤣👍🏻 I’m truly honoured! I’ve not been to the Hawthorns, away tickets are such a ballache to get hold of that my ground hopping tends to be non league these days. One day I’ll write a pie review of all 92 league clubs inside a season, when my lottery numbers come up - then I’ll do Scotland as well, and the full non league scene down to step 6, and then perhaps die due to overconsumption of delicious pastry products . . . 

There are worse ways to go.

15 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

15 hours ago, Kim Wrong-Un said:

Paelleria? If so they are usually in Williams Green.

I think they are also in W Holts (or were in 2017) and they were also in the Green Fields in 2019 where both choices were certainly veggie if not vegan.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Respectfatfrog said:

I'm sure they had a stall on the left hand of the other stage heading towards the pyramid. Good food weighs you down tho 

They definitely did as i remember eating 'biella' which was, i think, half meat/fish paella and half vegetarian paella and it was v nice! 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Interestingly (maybe, maybe not) I discovered that Man Utd, Shrewsbury Town and Stoke City all serve (or did a few seasons back) the same brand of pie which were very good, steak and ale, chicken balti and Shepherd's pie (which strangely to my mind had a pastry bottom and a potato top).  

Chelsea, very briefly (maybe for only one season if that, or maybe it was just that I was in a different stand) had a really excellent independent pie stall.  They also had a real ale stand at the same time, another thing sadly gone  though Shrewsbury Town's lives on, after the demise of Woods Brewery it is now Hobsons I think.

4 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Interestingly (maybe, maybe not) I discovered that Man Utd, Shrewsbury Town and Stoke City all serve (or did a few seasons back) the same brand of pie which were very good, steak and ale, chicken balti and Shepherd's pie (which strangely to my mind had a pastry bottom and a potato top).  

Chelsea, very briefly (maybe for only one season if that, or maybe it was just that I was in a different stand) had a really excellent independent pie stall.  They also had a real ale stand at the same time, another thing sadly gone  though Shrewsbury Town's lives on, after the demise of Woods Brewery it is now Hobsons I think.

How is the New Meadow? My best friend is a Shrewsbury Town fan and we went to the old Gay Meadow but have not seen the new stadium. He now lives in Kent and I'll be seeing him this weekend. Him and my husband used to have a pint bet each season on who would do best Shrewsbury Town or York City all through our uni days but these days York City have had quite the decline so the bet hasn't been on for some time. 

10 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

How is the New Meadow? My best friend is a Shrewsbury Town fan and we went to the old Gay Meadow but have not seen the new stadium. He now lives in Kent and I'll be seeing him this weekend. Him and my husband used to have a pint bet each season on who would do best Shrewsbury Town or York City all through our uni days but these days York City have had quite the decline so the bet hasn't been on for some time. 

The New Meadow is great.  I'm a season ticket holder so have been there more than the old Meadow as my kids were small when we moved up here so I didn't start going there regularly until after the ground moved.  It was good having the ground in the middle of town although the new ground is on our side of town so is easy for us to get to.  And the facilities are obviously better (decent female loos for a start!).  And nice to get home by 5.30 or so, rather than 4/5 hours later when I go to Chelsea, which is my first team.