Another food thread…

Hugh Jass II

3 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

My man. This is my subject.

I miss the square pie stall, they were excellent - further back i was a big fan of Pieminister when they had a stall next to the brothers bar in west holts, they did a cracking breakfast pie with mash, gravy and crispy onions for i think six quid last time they were there. It went delightfully with a cold pint of breakfast brothers and the first act on West Holts at 11.10am etc. This year we have yet to set our pie adventures in stone, the world is our oyster! 

Time was that Pieminister would be at every festival you went to - did they have a stall in 2019? I can't remember seeing them at all - anywhere - for years!

3 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

My man. This is my subject.

I miss the square pie stall, they were excellent - further back i was a big fan of Pieminister when they had a stall next to the brothers bar in west holts, they did a cracking breakfast pie with mash, gravy and crispy onions for i think six quid last time they were there. It went delightfully with a cold pint of breakfast brothers and the first act on West Holts at 11.10am etc. This year we have yet to set our pie adventures in stone, the world is our oyster! 

My pie eating friend,  brothers and pie is a dream I shall seek out thanks for the recommendation. 

Feel free to keep my in mind should you find any recommendations on your travels 

Just now, rubick said:

Time was that Pieminister would be at every festival you went to - did they have a stall in 2019? I can't remember seeing them at all - anywhere - for years!

No they got too commercial for Glasto 5 years or so ago so weren't asked back. 

1 minute ago, rubick said:

Gone from Glastonbury. Thought Square pie were there in 2019, think I had one

9 minutes ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Is there anywhere to get a good pie anymore? My first year the square pie company were there but left after I think they got to big I read on here. 

I think last time there was a place (possibly by Williams Green but it was a while ago and I've slept since then) called Sam's Pies. It was far too hot for one so didn't really investigate further. 

7 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I think last time there was a place (possibly by Williams Green but it was a while ago and I've slept since then) called Sam's Pies. It was far too hot for one so didn't really investigate further. 

I had a pie from either Square Pie or Sams Pies forget what it was called that year in 2017, was at the back of the West Holts stage.

11 minutes ago, rubick said:

i dont think Pieminister have been at glastonbury since about 2014. i miss em too. The veggie and vegan pies are absolutely top as well. There's a pie bakery near to me, Piglet's pantry, who supply Brighton and Hove Albion (and Leicester, weirdly) and while i dont support them, i have a few mates who do - and when there's a spare ticket i'll go along. Perhaps 50% for the pie and 50% for the football 👍 they have a wonderful way with a herby pastry!

12 minutes ago, Respectfatfrog said:

My pie eating friend,  brothers and pie is a dream I shall seek out thanks for the recommendation. 

Feel free to keep my in mind should you find any recommendations on your travels 

I'll be there on mon and tues, as im volunteering this year - i'll be combing the highways and the byways for pie (ways) 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, cerv said:

Congrats on putting this together, very handy. Sounds like you're hitting some of the brick walls I used to get from the G authorities with glastomap. All fun and games! Hopefully they'll see the light one day 🙂

I think it's such a shame that they'll probably farm out various shoddy mapping/app stuff to random agencies who have no passion for the festival and either pay a fortune for it, or sell their souls (EE) for it. If they said "we need a crew of ppl to put this together, you'll get paid a lowish amount on a standard contract but you'll get a handful of tickets each" you'd suddenly find the very best mapping/app dev talent in the country coming out of the woodwork to do it for peanuts and loving it and making an absolutely amazing product. Festifood is a heap of shite, but that's only because it's an evenings and weekends hobby for me. Even just an open source project that had a special deal for data access would be a huge deal and the resulting projects would I'm sure be amazing. If the data was open, who knows what cool stuff would pop up?

4 minutes ago, jefwefwef said:

I think it's such a shame that they'll probably farm out various shoddy mapping/app stuff to random agencies who have no passion for the festival and either pay a fortune for it, or sell their souls (EE) for it. If they said "we need a crew of ppl to put this together, you'll get paid a lowish amount on a standard contract but you'll get a handful of tickets each" you'd suddenly find the very best mapping/app dev talent in the country coming out of the woodwork to do it for peanuts and loving it and making an absolutely amazing product. Festifood is a heap of shite, but that's only because it's an evenings and weekends hobby for me. Even just an open source project that had a special deal for data access would be a huge deal and the resulting projects would I'm sure be amazing. If the data was open, who knows what cool stuff would pop up?

Frankly mate, I think Festifood is ace.... many thanks and plaudits to you!

If you want to collab on a bar/pub version, or add that as a filter on your map then I'd be delighted to collate some data and help.

2 minutes ago, croiz said:

Frankly mate, I think Festifood is ace.... many thanks and plaudits to you!

If you want to collab on a bar/pub version, or add that as a filter on your map then I'd be delighted to collate some data and help.

100% up for that. Send me a message and we can chat.

17 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I'll be there on mon and tues, as im volunteering this year - i'll be combing the highways and the byways for pie (ways) 

Judging by your user name I'm guessing you appreciate the power and beauty of a curry filled pie. Every time I pass a pie stall at Glastonbury I stop and check for Balti and never have I seen one.

You find one you hit me up.

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

Judging by your user name I'm guessing you appreciate the power and beauty of a curry filled pie. Every time I pass a pie stall at Glastonbury I stop and check for Balti and never have I seen one.

You find one you hit me up.

Yes i do, and yes i will. Pie updates will be placed on these very pages.

Its the true champion of pie fillings, balti pie, though i was in scotland a couple of months back and theyve a fine way with a pie up there- steak and black pudding was riotously enjoyed, and i also love a macaroni pie with a really good chili sauce. The scotch pies at Clachnacuddin FC were also particularly notable. 

1 minute ago, balti-pie said:

Its the true champion of pie fillings, balti pie, though i was in scotland a couple of months back and theyve a fine way with a pie up there- steak and black pudding was riotously enjoyed, and i also love a macaroni pie with a really good chili sauce. The scotch pies at Clachnacuddin FC were also particularly notable. 

For some reason balti pie has to be followed by full fat coke and becomes a perfect meal 

1 minute ago, balti-pie said:

Steak and Black pudding is the Rolls Royce of pies!

2 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Being a West Brom fan I take very little pleasure from going the football these days, but a hot balti pie makes the journey worthwhile.

• Upvote 1