Another food thread…

Hugh Jass II

43 minutes ago, Quark said:

A straightforward list of confirmed vendors would definitely be nice and, you'd think, relatively easy, but I can see why they don't want to go down the location or mapping route.

Absolutely, and Glasto can be patchy with data etc too but they could just hard map where the stalls are in the app. The 2019 did have a "live interactive" aspect to it mind you.

With the queues, eating at different times helps. Like dinner at 5, then a late night hangover helper. 200,000 people all deciding to eat at 6.30/7pm is guaranteed queues. 

Fruit and a coffee first thing, something bigger and brunchy at midday, bigger meal at 5pm ish, late doors grub after the headliners. 

Edited by The Nal

bad choice was trying the other raclette place (the one in the yellow school bus) in West Holts, having always really loved the rac shack opposite the cider bus i thought id give the alternative one a go.

It was crap. Terrible catering chips, three mini cocktail sausages, and a fairly bland tasteless melty cheese on top for about eight quid. Rac shack have lovely fresh cut fries, proper herby toulouse sausages, and you can see the melty raclette as its dolloped over the lot of it - its brilliant. I tweeted them after the fest and apologised for being a turncoat twat, theyve welcomed me back with open arms 😄

Just now, SGS said:

The pricing of the food concessions is a black art !! there is a sort of matrix which includes - 1.Size of Pitch, 2. Location of Pitch, 3. Price of Food. 4. Style of food and then some new people doing something genuinely different may get a discount on their pitch to encourage them to give it a go. The whole site is divided into sections and they try to make sure that all food types and vegetarians and vegans are represented in each site - it's a lot of work and they do a really good job of it I think 

I've never considered how much work and though has to go into something like this. 

I love it! 

Love a bit of Glastronomy!! I've already messaged my favourite stall to make sure they're going to be there 🤣

Company called Makatcha. They run a stall simply called 'Coconut Curry'

Pulled meats in spicy Thai coconut sauce with pickled salads. INSANE. 🤤🤤 Highly, highly recommended if you haven't seen them before. They have a prime spot at Latitude every year, always sold out by the end. I always try to get it a couple of times while im there....I'm such a fan 🤣🤣

18 minutes ago, jefwefwef said:

Surely they can't all be paying the same. There's got to be some kind of expected footfall adjustment for the popularity of the location. Some stalls are properly tucked away and get a tiny fraction of the footfall of more obvious stuff in the heart of the markets sector.

Along with location, there's also (or more precisely - there certainly used to be and I assume it's still the same) adjustments made for all kinds of factors - what they're selling (niche offerings pay less), who's running it (charities pay less), their submitted menu prices, and probably other criteria I don't know of.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Along with location, there's also (or more precisely - there certainly used to be and I assume it's still the same) adjustments made for all kinds of factors - what they're selling (niche offerings pay less), who's running it (charities pay less), their submitted menu prices, and probably other criteria I don't know of.

Yep makes sense. I've also seen "dynamic pricing" during the fest where their price list is very clearly just hand written with whiteboard markers or chalk and they tweak it based on demand. Dunno how kosher that is re glasto policy.

6 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Absolutely, and Glasto can be patchy with data etc too but they could just hard map where the stalls are in the app. The 2019 did have a "live interactive" aspect to it mind you.

Potentially, but I would guess (someone who knows more about this than I could probably comment) that having that many more "live" pieces means the app is having to process more when it loads, so would be hella slower and more buggy?

Someone more up to speed with the festival booking process might also have a view on how late in the day the various stalls are (a) confirmed to attend and (b) have their plots allocated.  I don't know when the hard map gets finalised for the app, but if some stalls are still being finalised then they wouldn't be on the map, and then you're into the territory of some stalls being unfairly disadvantaged. Maybe.

18 minutes ago, BluePaul said:

What nonsense is this?!  Genuinely gutted.  Their samosas were a thing of beauty and cheap as chips.  Have they officially (un)confirmed?

They're confirmed as gone from Bearded Theory, with the reason being that they've stopped doing festivals.

I guess it's possible that Glastonbury is an unannounced exception, but it wouldn't make much sense.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Quark said:

Potentially, but I would guess (someone who knows more about this than I could probably comment) that having that many more "live" pieces means the app is having to process more when it loads, so would be hella slower and more buggy?

Someone more up to speed with the festival booking process might also have a view on how late in the day the various stalls are (a) confirmed to attend and (b) have their plots allocated.  I don't know when the hard map gets finalised for the app, but if some stalls are still being finalised then they wouldn't be on the map, and then you're into the territory of some stalls being unfairly disadvantaged. Maybe.

I suspect most of the markets are finalised by now. A lot get repeat bookings and the vast majority will be a copy + paste + tweak job from last time, plus ne entrants and adjustments for new areas and other stuff. It's a huge task, I assume.

In terms of the actual mapping, it's not that bad actually. The festival have the entire site as high quality GIS style maps, including the location of each stall. They'll have a listing of the pitch ID of each stall and could quite easily just run a program to plot that list on the map and spit out a new version. It depends entirely on their process, but if I was doing it, I would do what I just described. My site (festifood) has a shitty version of this on it, but it depends on data access (although the payload is tiny and locally cached, so it's fast and fairly reliable) rather than baked into the app.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I dont know either but assume the stalls would be confirmed well in advance? Maybe just an option on the app to bring up the food places locations? I didnt really use the app last time so not sure how good it is. 

Handy though if you fancy some pizza, just to be able to find it because you're never going to remember where the stalls are.

10 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Define bad choice

For me, a bad choice is something I'd end up regretting eating because:

• I'd ended up defaulting to it purely because I've let myself get to a point of being so hungry I have to eat whatever's right in front of me at that moment
  • It's something I look at at and actively say to myself "that'll do" rather than something I want
  • It's something I've had before and know I don't really enjoy that much, but have it anyway (often linked to the points above)
  • It's something that I know is a low-grade version of something elsewhere on site (see Balti's tale of the raclette) but I'm not willing to either make the effort to go to the good one or to wait until the next time I'm near it

It's definitely not just something that's not nice.  If it's something I've not tried before but it turns out to be a bit crap, or somewhere that'#s been reliable previously but has gone downhill since last time, that's just bad luck.

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I dont know either but assume the stalls would be confirmed well in advance? Maybe just an option on the app to bring up the food places locations? I didnt really use the app last time so not sure how good it is. 

Handy though if you fancy some pizza, just to be able to find it because you're never going to remember where the stalls are.

Yeah mebbes. I'm not advanced enough to have an informed opinion tbh (much like my job) but it's an interesting one to think about.

From a personal perspective I don't use the app anyway (try to use my phone less while I'm there) so it's really a moot point for me! I'd definitely like to see a list of traders in the same way we get a list of acts though, with or without locations 😄

32 minutes ago, David_303 said:

My understanding is that you pay more for the busier places

The price is definitely dependent on location, I was going to do a food stall once, I didn't like the location I was offered. 

6 minutes ago, jefwefwef said:

I suspect most of the markets are finalised by now. A lot get repeat bookings and the vast majority will be a copy + paste + tweak job from last time, plus ne entrants and adjustments for new areas and other stuff. It's a huge task, I assume.

In terms of the actual mapping, it's not that bad actually. The festival have the entire site as high quality GIS style maps, including the location of each stall. They'll have a listing of the pitch ID of each stall and could quite easily just run a program to plot that list on the map and spit out a new version. It depends entirely on their process, but if I was doing it, I would do what I just described. My site (festifood) has a shitty version of this on it, but it depends on data access (although the payload is tiny and locally cached, so it's fast and fairly reliable) rather than baked into the app.

Interesting. Sounds like I'm hugely overplaying how much of a pain it would be!

Just now, Quark said:

Yeah mebbes. I'm not advanced enough to have an informed opinion tbh (much like my job) but it's an interesting one to think about.

From a personal perspective I don't use the app anyway (try to use my phone less while I'm there) so it's really a moot point for me! I'd definitely like to see a list of traders in the same way we get a list of acts though, with or without locations 😄

Haha yeah thats the thing - "Oh did you try the new Korean place with the crispy fried chicken?"

"No! Sounds great where is it?"

"Cant remember...".

far-out-head-nod.gif 

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Nal said:

Haha yeah thats the thing - "Oh did you try the new Korean place with the crispy fried chicken?"

"No! Sounds great where is it?"

"Cant remember...".

far-out-head-nod.gif 

I can barely verbalise how to get to the stages, so asking me where I got those amazing churros when I was baked out of my noodle at 2am is optimistic at best

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Aye..its the queues that d4b down my gastronomic adventures. Usually wind up grabbing from wherever looks quietest or is handy (i.e. Piggie Smalls)

Piggie Smalls is gone now I think, I am sure I read - on here or Twitter - they'd sold the van. My mate absolutely loved them, he must have gone there at least 6 times last Glastonbury!

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

I can barely verbalise how to get to the stages, so asking me where I got those amazing churros when I was baked out of my noodle at 2am is optimistic at best

Haha - this is very much why I always end up the same plate of chips back at my tent at 4am from the place next to the Other Stage on the way to Park Home. 😂