Another food thread…

Hugh Jass II

2 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

Piggie Smalls is gone now I think, I am sure I read - on here or Twitter - they'd sold the van. My mate absolutely loved them, he must have gone there at least 6 times last Glastonbury!

Hopefully something awesome will be down in that corner given its proximity to the West Holts action.

24 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Love a bit of Glastronomy!! I've already messaged my favourite stall to make sure they're going to be there 🤣

Company called Makatcha. They run a stall simply called 'Coconut Curry'

Pulled meats in spicy Thai coconut sauce with pickled salads. INSANE. 🤤🤤 Highly, highly recommended if you haven't seen them before. They have a prime spot at Latitude every year, always sold out by the end. I always try to get it a couple of times while im there....I'm such a fan 🤣🤣

Did they reply? I love this place! 

24 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

bad choice was trying the other raclette place (the one in the yellow school bus) in West Holts, having always really loved the rac shack opposite the cider bus i thought id give the alternative one a go.

It was crap. Terrible catering chips, three mini cocktail sausages, and a fairly bland tasteless melty cheese on top for about eight quid. Rac shack have lovely fresh cut fries, proper herby toulouse sausages, and you can see the melty raclette as its dolloped over the lot of it - its brilliant. I tweeted them after the fest and apologised for being a turncoat twat, theyve welcomed me back with open arms 😄

Gotta be honest, I thought Le Rac Shack had gone right downhill last year.  Might be where they've got bigger and are churning out more food, but the quality just seemed to have gone down. Where they had two cheeses on the go at the back instead of just one at the front it just didn't seem to have been grilled / melted as thoroughly as before, and my potatoes weren't cooked through and were pretty bland and unseasoned.

Hoping it was a blip, but if I get a bad one again this year that's me done.

What were we saying about a middle class festival the other week? 🤣

2 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

Haha - this is very much why I always end up the same plate of chips back at my tent at 4am from the place next to the Other Stage on the way to Park Home. 😂 

I go the other way, when I can't think of anything I go foraging!! I can walk bloody miles to sniff out something tasty when I'm in the mood 😄

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I go the other way, when I can't think of anything I go foraging!! I can walk bloody miles to sniff out something tasty when I'm in the mood 😄

My problem is when I'm staggering back to my tent and I spot something I really really want but is closed and I'm dead certain I'll remember it for the morning...

Just now, jefwefwef said:

My problem is when I'm staggering back to my tent and I spot something I really really want but is closed and I'm dead certain I'll remember it for the morning...

Worst of both worlds.

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Gotta be honest, I thought Le Rac Shack had gone right downhill last year.  Might be where they've got bigger and are churning out more food, but the quality just seemed to have gone down. Where they had two cheeses on the go at the back instead of just one at the front it just didn't seem to have been grilled / melted as thoroughly as before, and my potatoes weren't cooked through and were pretty bland and unseasoned.

Hoping it was a blip, but if I get a bad one again this year that's me done.

What were we saying about a middle class festival the other week? 🤣

People were saying the same about la grande bouffe last time as well, but i think a lot depends on when you go there, how through the cooking process they are with the colossal pans, and how quickly they're churning stuff out as well. I always want the burnt bits from the bottom of the pan with tartiflette, its more flavoursome and umami - its great. 

and yes perhaps its a little middle class, but i dont think thats necessarily a bad thing 😆 particularly when discussing a very cheese heavy diet!

1 minute ago, fred quimby said:

Great news. Love Leon's, always make sure I end up with a great plate of goodness. Perfect for a sit down with  band on WH

I just exchanged emails with him and his first glasto was 1982 ! Not sure if he's been trading that entire time, but even so. Solid. He's in West Holts this year FYI.

1 hour ago, jefwefwef said:

I've asked and asked the festival for this info, they simply do not want to do it. They say it's because they want you to discover new things naturally, but I reckon crowd management is a big part of it and they don't want everyone flocking to the same small number of stalls, which would cause a lot of problems.

Effective secrecy on which food trucks go where is the policy now, my site is frowned upon but tolerated. They're not convinced by arguments like accessibility issues, intolerances or other preferences or requirements. You can go get a paper list from one of the 7 info points during the festival, apparently.

What’s your site?

1 minute ago, jefwefwef said:

I just exchanged emails with him and his first glasto was 1982 ! Not sure if he's been trading that entire time, but even so. Solid. He's in West Holts this year FYI.

Lovely. Same year I started going. Gave him a miss for a few years but now always top of the list

Outside of glasto I’m a huge “foodie” - I eat out for about 6 meals a week minimum at the minute probably. But at the festival I think I only eat max 2 meals a day, and don’t put a huge amount of thought into them (although the fried squid last year was great - the kedgeree from Goan Fish Curry at 10am on the Saturday morning in 30+ degree heat in 2019 not so much).

So in that context, where does the best bacon and egg roll?

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I suspect people like Leon also get first dibs on their usual location.

Aye, and they have the money to cover it. Was chatting to a coffee stall who was always in WH and had moved to near the bandstand as he, as a small business , had been priced out in 2019. Didn't reveal the cost hike but was talking large percentages

6 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Best, or best value are likely two different discussions.

The outright best one is probably somewhere charging 10 quid or so, which means I've never had it.

Best value, I'll throw two names out there, though I'm not certain whether either are returning in 2022:
- The Cornish Pasty Mine does a fairly cheap bacon and egg cob while remaining decent quality. Two locations in 2019, on Silver Hayes Road and in the Main Markets, with a very distinctive stallfront (though can't find a photo on google images).
- The Welsh Oggie Stall does a more full featured Breakfast Baguette which is lovely and still not too expensive. Just up from the Other Stage going towards Silver Hayes.

Edited by incident

1 minute ago, incident said:

Best, or best value are likely two different discussions.

The outright best one is probably somewhere charging 10 quid or so, which means I've never had it.

Best value, I'll throw two names out there, though I'm not certain whether either are returning in 2022:
- The Cornish Pasty Mine does a fairly cheap bacon and egg cob while remaining decent quality. Two locations in 2019, on Silver Hayes Road and in the Main Markets, with a very distinctive stallfront (though can't find a photo on google images).
- The Welsh Oggie Stall does a more full featured Breakfast Baguette which is lovely and still not too expensive. Just up from the Other Stage going towards Silver Hayes.

The Welsh ogie is a legend the ogies themselves are great value and is one of my recommendations 

8 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

For me, the times when I need such a meal are the times where I care the least about quality. In the mornings, I tend to buy breakfast rather than bring my own and cook so I just buy whatever bacon-thing is closest that also does big teas (bonus points for making the tea in my water bottle for an extra 50p).

9 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Outside of glasto I’m a huge “foodie” - I eat out for about 6 meals a week minimum at the minute probably. But at the festival I think I only eat max 2 meals a day, and don’t put a huge amount of thought into them (although the fried squid last year was great - the kedgeree from Goan Fish Curry at 10am on the Saturday morning in 30+ degree heat in 2019 not so much).

I'm veggie so probably not the person to answer this but I'm sure that Eat The Farm did a decent breakfast roll for my husband. There was also a place doing duck egg sandwiches that was really good. 

Just now, Respectfatfrog said:

Is there anywhere to get a good pie anymore? My first year the square pie company were there but left after I think they got to big I read on here. 

My man. This is my subject.

I miss the square pie stall, they were excellent - further back i was a big fan of Pieminister when they had a stall next to the brothers bar in west holts, they did a cracking breakfast pie with mash, gravy and crispy onions for i think six quid last time they were there. It went delightfully with a cold pint of breakfast brothers and the first act on West Holts at 11.10am etc. This year we have yet to set our pie adventures in stone, the world is our oyster!