Car park opening

deschwah

For those that haven't been yet, it's typical that people don't remain in their cars. A lot of people get seats out and merge into groups chatting and drinking.

Also, there are quite a few that que u by the gates overnight.

2 minutes ago, Staberinde said:

For those that haven't been yet, it's typical that people don't remain in their cars. A lot of people get seats out and merge into groups chatting and drinking.

Also, there are quite a few that que u by the gates overnight.

Quite a few thousand! 

I stopped and had a chat with some at the front of the queue on my wonky walk back to crew camp on Tuesday night.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SGS said:

On the Tuesday night we try to make sure all our teams are onsite by 6pm so that they can shut the gates in advance of the public arriving in the car park.  We have been told for the last few years gates open and 9 and then they open them at 8 - Well I say they open at 8..... PGD seems to open at 8 and then we stand around on Pennards hill and watch everyone running in - quite lifts your heart so it does ! 

Oh, I am guessing you are staff - I wondered for a moment how you could be onsite by 6pm Tuesday.

I will be one of those q-ing overnight and hoping to get the same spot in Pennards first thing 🤞

1 minute ago, Staberinde said:

Oh, I am guessing you are staff - I wondered for a moment how you could be onsite by 6pm Tuesday.

I will be one of those q-ing overnight and hoping to get the same spot in Pennards first thing 🤞

I’ll be dropping off the car and hot footing it home ready to get the bus back in the morning fingers crossed … hopefully you can walk back onto the road or get out somehow 

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’ll be dropping off the car and hot footing it home ready to get the bus back in the morning fingers crossed … hopefully you can walk back onto the road or get out somehow 

Sadly I'm too far away to attempt something similar!

Having to offload some of my stuff to a mate who's coming down in a campervan instead!

13 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I've always got there at around 8/9pm but there ALWAYS seems to be hundreds or even thousands of people ahead of us in the queue. Do they unofficially open earlier than what is said on the website?

I park in Ashcombe Park carparking an unofficial car park - have done for years.  They open their field on Sunday, so I do like to be in the que before they open the carparks. There must be loads of people that get dropped off near by by cars from friends. I know the official drop off point in at the Bath and West, but they can hardly enforce that. There are official opening times for cars and caravans, but pedestrians seem to turn up any time Tuesday noon onwards.

Just for interest this is Ashcombe Park car park, it's fully booked by the way

Edited by Staberinde
typo

12 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Does anyone know what the deal is if someone is driving down but to stay in someone's caravan. Can they arrive any earlier to walk through to the fields? 

I have, exactly once, blagged a lift from a senior security guy in his landy from PGD to Campers West. You probably can walk it, but with all your kit it'd be a trek, plus the quickest route you won't be allowed on (the fence road) and many of the surrounding roads and fields will be locked down to varying degrees.

7 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Does anyone know what the deal is if someone is driving down but to stay in someone's caravan. Can they arrive any earlier to walk through to the fields? 

Yes, it's possible. Car parking Tuesday night has been up in the North East corner, so a walk down the lanes to CV East, some of our group have done this in previous years.

Just now, Avalon_Fields said:

Yes, it's possible. Car parking Tuesday night has been up in the North East corner, so a walk down the lanes to CV East, some of our group have done this in previous years.

Great it's just a fallback for my friend if we don't manage to get her a campervan ticket. Do they have to wait until 9 at night or do they let them in earlier if they say they are going to a caravan? 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Great it's just a fallback for my friend if we don't manage to get her a campervan ticket. Do they have to wait until 9 at night or do they let them in earlier if they say they are going to a caravan? 

2 of my friends rocked up in a car with our convoy in to East Camper fields in 2019 on the Tuesday at 10.30am and were allowed to park up then walk over and join us.

Probably got lucky more than anything though...

13 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

2 of my friends rocked up in a car with our convoy in to East Camper fields in 2019 on the Tuesday at 10.30am and were allowed to park up then walk over and join us.

Probably got lucky more than anything though...

Might try it she's a nearly 60 year old woman they might just feel sorry for her and let her through. 

47 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes. If you park in the purple car parks there's easy pedestrian access to the East CV fields. The queue for Pedestrian Gate C for early car arrivals always snakes through the East CV fields. Just make sure you park on the east side of the festival, otherwise it's a very long walk.

Edited by Johnnyseven

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Might try it she's a nearly 60 year old woman they might just feel sorry for her and let her through. 

I think it's OK during the day on Tuesday but not 100% sure, mainly along Pylle Road, it's a decent trek so make sure she doesn't have anything much to carry, avoid the lane right outside the fence as there's more traffic and pedestrians discouraged, and it would be longer. If it's the same Tuesday night car park used (top NE corner) it's a walk towards Gate B, then join Pylle Road and head South, goes directly to the CV fields.

I'm going to be arriving to the car park on Tuesday night in order to try and ensure we get a good space in cockmill family camping via PGB. I believe the best way to approach is from the east and to go for blue/ purple car parks. Any other tips? Should I get there super early like 8 or 9pm or will middle of the night be a viable option? 

2 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I think it's OK during the day on Tuesday but not 100% sure, mainly along Pylle Road, it's a decent trek so make sure she doesn't have anything much to carry, avoid the lane right outside the fence as there's more traffic and pedestrians discouraged, and it would be longer. If it's the same Tuesday night car park used (top NE corner) it's a walk towards Gate B, then join Pylle Road and head South, goes directly to the CV fields.

Yes if it's what we have to do the plan is we'd bring all the heavy stuff in our car and hopefully walk to meet her to help her with her stuff.