How to reign it in?

Dreamingofsunnydays

I think if I didn't have eFests to browse and @crazyfool1 to talk to, I'd have been a gibbering wreck for the last few years!

My mates like the whole build up, but only one is going this year, and this is a recent thing so his excitement is starting to build. We have had to take all the Glastonbury based chat out of my other friends way.

My wife actually asked me last week if there was a conversation I couldn't link to Glastonbury. 😂 A festival of any sort would be her idea of hell! We are very different people! 

7 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

I think if I didn't have eFests to browse and @crazyfool1 to talk to, I'd have been a gibbering wreck for the last few years!

My mates like the whole build up, but only one is going this year, and this is a recent thing so his excitement is starting to build. We have had to take all the Glastonbury based chat out of my other friends way.

My wife actually asked me last week if there was a conversation I couldn't link to Glastonbury. 😂 A festival of any sort would be her idea of hell! We are very different people! 

I actually find it amazing how many Glastonbury obsessives have partners with no interest. Do they like music etc but just not festivals because I genuinely don’t think I could be with someone who didn’t like music. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I actually find it amazing how many Glastonbury obsessives have partners with no interest. Do they like music etc but just not festivals because I genuinely don’t think I could be with someone who didn’t like music. 

My wife smiles politely when I start talking about Glastonbury, festivals and music but after 10 minutes says that's enough now!!

She does listen to music but mainly cheesy pop and some obscure Canadian country music radio station! She did come with me to Glastonbury in 1999, enjoyed it but wouldn't do it again. 

Having said that, our kids are 10 and 12 and i really want to take them one year but concerned about taking them on my own (they will gang up on me!) so i have convinced her to go to The Big Feastival this year. She is more interested in the food side of things! It's not really my thing but hopefully it will ignite her love for live music but at the least convince me I am responsible enough to keep the kids alive at a festival on my own... oh and Andy and the Odd Socks are there so that's a bonus!

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

My partner loves music and loves camping, but just doesn't like big crowds or anything too busy. It's an anxiety thing. He has said the only way I'd ever get him there is with some off-site accommodation so he could get a bit of space from it if all - and he'd probably just come in to see what it's all about and then retreat - but as if I'm ever going to do Glastonbury like that! 

It does make me a bit sad sometimes that I can't share my happiest place and happiest times with him, but by that same token, I also love that at Glastonbury I can just be by myself, or with my friends, do whatever it is I want and feel totally independent - and be glad to know that my partner is also happily having a perfectly introverted week at home by himself 🙂

12 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

My partner loves music and loves camping, but just doesn't like big crowds or anything too busy. It's an anxiety thing. He has said the only way I'd ever get him there is with some off-site accommodation so he could get a bit of space from it if all - and he'd probably just come in to see what it's all about and then retreat - but as if I'm ever going to do Glastonbury like that! 

It does make me a bit sad sometimes that I can't share my happiest place and happiest times with him, but by that same token, I also love that at Glastonbury I can just be by myself, or with my friends, do whatever it is I want and feel totally independent - and be glad to know that my partner is also happily having a perfectly introverted week at home by himself 🙂

I can get that. I appreciate the festival feeling might not be for everyone but at least you can share the music etc in the run up. I spend so much time with the playlist on etc. 

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

My wife doesn't really like big crowds and isn't a huge fan of camping, especially not at festivals. We have completely different taste in music too. Glastonbury is very much my escape from to the daily life/routine, and she has a separate weekend away too.

11 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Nearly there @vintagelaureate what a journey it’s been the last few years …. Keeping those spirits up through tough times 

3 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I fully understand your thoughts. My wife & I go to plenty of gigs together - including last night to the refurbished Band on the Wall in Manchester - but whereas music is vital to me, it's not really to her, plus the thought of tents and mud etc etc is a stuff in nightmares for her. She's been to Cambridge Folk Festival twice but that's gentle by comparison. So I'm very happy to have my separate interests - festivals, football - and she has hers. We share plenty of other interests!

22 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

I'm lucky my gf doesn't do festival goes anymore so I just do my own thing although she does give me recommendations based on what she's listening to...latest one was Amyl and the Sniffers. 🙂 

Saw them last time and they were great, but they've had a bunch of great new tracks since then

7 hours ago, gigpusher said:

My better half came with me, plus a big circle of friends and family for about a decade but as we got older she'd rather do something else.  Some folks just reach a point where the balance of the things which aren't so nice about the festival and those that are shifts and they realise they don't enjoy it enough for the physical and hygienic challenges. 

While I go to G she can go with the dog to the seaside, so we both do something we enjoy.  Many of the friends have other priorities atm with family, work etc.

We do still go to gigs, but not that regularly - once a month or so.  I certainly find it's less impulsive in my fifties 👵🧓

Edited by clarkete

8 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

My wife doesn't really like big crowds and isn't a huge fan of camping, especially not at festivals. We have completely different taste in music too. Glastonbury is very much my escape from to the daily life/routine, and she has a separate weekend away too.

At least you have all of us to talk to! I suppose when you have kids it’s a benefit wanting to do different things as you always have one of you to look after them!

7 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I fully understand your thoughts. My wife & I go to plenty of gigs together - including last night to the refurbished Band on the Wall in Manchester - but whereas music is vital to me, it's not really to her, plus the thought of tents and mud etc etc is a stuff in nightmares for her. She's been to Cambridge Folk Festival twice but that's gentle by comparison. So I'm very happy to have my separate interests - festivals, football - and she has hers. We share plenty of other interests!

Ooh how is the new Band On The Wall? One of my favourite venues in Manchester.

We have lots of shared and separate interests as well but I LOVE music. 

6 hours ago, Watergirl said:

Brought my other half in 2003. He liked it, but not as much as I do. So I go on my own. We are not the types that need permission.

As long as things are affordable we’re exactly the same and we have lots of different hobbies. For me it was the idea of someone that you live with not being at all interested in it to the point where they don’t really want you talking about it. Our friend who comes with us goes without her husband because he doesn’t like crowds etc either but he loves music so is happy for her to chat about line up etc. 

4 hours ago, clarkete said:

My better half came with me, plus a big circle of friends and family for about a decade but as we got older she'd rather do something else.  Some folks just reach a point where the balance of the things which aren't so nice about the festival and those that are shifts and they realise they don't enjoy it enough for the physical and hygienic challenges. 

While I go to G she can go with the dog to the seaside, so we both do something we enjoy.  Many of the friends have other priorities atm with family, work etc.

We do still go to gigs, but not that regularly - once a month or so.  I certainly find it's less impulsive in my fifties 👵🧓

Everything gets less impulsive as you get older 😂 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gigpusher said:

At least you have all of us to talk to! I suppose when you have kids it’s a benefit wanting to do different things as you always have one of you to look after them!

Ooh how is the new Band On The Wall? One of my favourite venues in Manchester.

We have lots of shared and separate interests as well but I LOVE music. 

As long as things are affordable we’re exactly the same and we have lots of different hobbies. For me it was the idea of someone that you live with not being at all interested in it to the point where they don’t really want you talking about it. Our friend who comes with us goes without her husband because he doesn’t like crowds etc either but he loves music so is happy for her to chat about line up etc. 

Everything gets less impulsive as you get older 😂 

The bar area is now dark and modern, with a small stage as the back. The main stage area is improved, about 5 metres more space in front of the pillars so the majority of the audience can have a better view. The stage itself is much bigger and higher….and there’s a new Band on the Wall neon sign!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

A campervan plus Bath and West campsite would be ideal for him if you / he ever want to try. Best of both worlds for those who want a quieter champ site experience. 

1 hour ago, SouthbanKen said:

A campervan plus Bath and West campsite would be ideal for him if you / he ever want to try. Best of both worlds for those who want a quieter champ site experience. 

If you don't like big crowds or places being busy then it seems rather than just coming to the festival and staying in a campervan it perhaps is better to just go and do something they enjoy instead.

I'm also a fellow obsessive with a partner who's not that bothered. He likes live music, festivals and camping but I think the "inconvenient" parts of Glastonbury would make it difficult for him.. crowds, mud, lack of showers. I try to limit my talking about it as he doesn't "get" it - he can appreciate a festival, but not my level of obsessiveness where I'm updating my packing list daily and reading constantly about miniscule changes 🤣 this year he is going camping with the dog while im at Glasto, and we're both looking forward to it. He has said he will try for tickets every year, but wouldn't be bothered about resales etc. I'd love to share the experience with him but at the same time would worry he wouldn't be having the best time - and that would take away from my enjoyment! 

On 5/6/2022 at 7:13 AM, The Dawg said:

You're lucky, in a way, that you go to the festival with your partners as mine wouldn't be seen anywhere near the place! But, all is not bad for me as I have the same mates that are just as obsessed as I am. I'm 60 yo and this will be my 10th (first in '84) and the main thing I am worried about is peaking too early on the first night and ruining it for the next couple of days. I need to get some drinki9ng practice in.

The Dawg could be me! Also 60yo with missus who really dosn't get it  and would never be seen dead at a festival. I always go with a mate and this year I've got my brother and niece ( her first time ) to obsess with on Whatsapp and with you lot on here. The festival is my relief valve from daily reality, it's been missed sadly. Fever pitch starting as shit gets real.

On 5/7/2022 at 11:32 AM, Watergirl said:

Brought my other half in 2003. He liked it, but not as much as I do. So I go on my own. We are not the types that need permission.

Same, I’ve been with teenage kids and combinations of friends. In 2014 went with my husband and 8 year old. They really enjoyed the whole experience but neither have asked to go again!

6 minutes ago, ghandi said:

The Dawg could be me! Also 60yo with missus who really dosn't get it  and would never be seen dead at a festival. I always go with a mate and this year I've got my brother and niece ( her first time ) to obsess with on Whatsapp and with you lot on here. The festival is my relief valve from daily reality, it's been missed sadly. Fever pitch starting as shit gets real.

I'm 60 this year too (we should start a thread), but my wife loves it the same as I do. We have both carried each other back to our tent on a Thursday night after peaking too soon over the years. It's a perfect marriage.

2 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I’m going to be helped with this by the fact I’ll shortly have 225 exam papers to mark, for which I’ll be paid £4.50 a pop. Every spare moment will be going into that, so limited efests time. 

That’ll pay for Glastonbury though so you can think about that whilst you mark! 

8 minutes ago, scrippit said:

I'm 60 this year too (we should start a thread), but my wife loves it the same as I do. We have both carried each other back to our tent on a Thursday night after peaking too soon over the years. It's a perfect marriage.

Brilliant, happy for you Scrippit. Nice to have the excitement two fold in the same house. Funny my brother who is 54 is the one having trouble trying to explain to his daughter what to expect as her first time. I don't think she gets it yet, says she is starting to get excited. Got let down as we got the ticket in 2020 and obvs she couldn't go and the line up not having bands she knows a lot. I laugh at this, she dosn't know whats coming.

Just now, ghandi said:

Brilliant, happy for you Scrippit. Nice to have the excitement two fold in the same house. Funny my brother who is 54 is the one having trouble trying to explain to his daughter what to expect as her first time. I don't think she gets it yet, says she is starting to get excited. Got let down as we got the ticket in 2020 and obvs she couldn't go and the line up not having bands she knows a lot. I laugh at this, she dosn't know whats coming.

Thanks Ghandi, I still get as childishly excited as I ever did. Bringing my son along a few years ago was a treat - him and his mates discovering new music and the thrill of being a part of something so special was a joy.

16 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

The bar area is now dark and modern, with a small stage as the back. The main stage area is improved, about 5 metres more space in front of the pillars so the majority of the audience can have a better view. The stage itself is much bigger and higher….and there’s a new Band on the Wall neon sign!

Was absolutely brilliant for Blossoms last week. Great sound and like you say a decent amount of space.

Good selection of craft beer too, and no bar queues despite it being sold out, though it was the early show I was at.

• Upvote 1

My husband learned the hard way by “accidentally” consuming far too much of a particular substance on my first Wednesday at the festival. He had been the previous year and was extra excited to have me there with him. This resulted in us spending the entire opening ceremony in our tent while I tried to pin him down and stop him from injuring himself, while he was telling me my hands were animatronic and other weird shit. We’ve been to the festival 4 more times since then and haven’t had another incident 🤣

• Like 1