How to reign it in?

Dreamingofsunnydays

A few glasses of red wine tonight and a topic starter.

How do you avoid peaking too early and annoying your significant other?

We we’re successful in 2019 and both virgins, but my life is literally dictated by this forum right now…from listening to @GlastoCastto doing a “cool wall” on our fridge (thanks @squirrelarmy)

The wife has said chill…but anyone else so excited…and in danger of popping the cork too early??

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dreamingofsunnydays said:

A few glasses of red wine tonight and a topic starter.

How do you avoid peaking too early and annoying your significant other?

We we’re successful in 2019 and both virgins, but my life is literally dictated by this forum right now…from listening to @GlastoCastto doing a “cool wall” on our fridge (thanks @squirrelarmy)

The wife has said chill…but anyone else so excited…and in danger of popping the cork too early??

My wife and I have been to Glasto 7 times together (and many other festivals in between).

Whilst she absolutely loves the place, she’s not as obsessed with it as I am the rest of the year. 

I’ll chat with her about things I think she’ll be interested in, such as when Di Ro was confirmed, the initial poster drop and The Spider returning to Arcadia.

But I won’t bother with other stuff I know she’s not fussed about, such as the fence starting to go up or the fact The Glade has moved 20 foot!

Honestly the best thing you can do is get involved in the chat here, amongst like minded obsessives! It’s such a great outlet and a way to build excitement. 

Your wife’s excitement will likely build nearer the time.

Hope you have the best time! 

6 minutes ago, nikkic said:

My wife and I have been to Glasto 7 times together (and many other festivals in between).

Whilst she absolutely loves the place, she’s not as obsessed with it as I am the rest of the year. 

I’ll chat with her about things I think she’ll be interested in, such as when Di Ro was confirmed, the initial poster drop and The Spider returning to Arcadia.

But I won’t bother with other stuff I know she’s not fussed about, such as the fence starting to go up or the fact The Glade has moved 20 foot!

Honestly the best thing you can do is get involved in the chat here, amongst like minded obsessives! It’s such a great outlet and a way to build excitement. 

Your wife’s excitement will likely build nearer the time.

Hope you have the best time! 

Yep I am way more obsessed than my husband. I use this forum as my outlet for that year round and tell him the stuff that will add to his excitement. He is starting to get excited now but he didn’t even want to entertain talking about it until he knew we were going so for 2 years my fellow Efesters and 2 Glastonbury obsessed friends have taken the slack! 

I rarely discuss it with my Wife as going OTT annoys her and this reduces my chances of being given the nod each year 😂

Instead I just come on here and chat to a load of people I’ve never met in person about it!

I'm totally obsessed and I'm always reading efests, thinking about the lineup, the clashes, the weather, where I'll end up camping. This year my wife has decided to stay at home with the kids so I'm not talking about it at all so it doesn't annoy her.  Quite hard.  Anyway, if I really didn't want to think about it I would just not visit efests for a few weeks... if you are constantly reading about it you will naturally be getting excited, if you have a break from the site then it'll give your brain a break. 

Hard to do though. 

I’ve learnt that very few people, if any, are as obsessed with Glastonbury related stuff in my life as I am. Any time I excitedly tell my partner or a friend about stage announcements or new bands added etc I’m always greeted with a ‘oh, cool, haha’ and left walking off with my tail between my legs. Nobody gives a shit and come the festival they’ll basically just go along to where I drag them as they act surprised that certain acts are even on the lineup, so this forum is my outlet for being mega excited and I mostly just hold my tongue in person, because nobody is as nervous about the Sugababes and Pigsx7 possibly clashing as I am. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You're lucky, in a way, that you go to the festival with your partners as mine wouldn't be seen anywhere near the place! But, all is not bad for me as I have the same mates that are just as obsessed as I am. I'm 60 yo and this will be my 10th (first in '84) and the main thing I am worried about is peaking too early on the first night and ruining it for the next couple of days. I need to get some drinki9ng practice in.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Anyway, if I really didn't want to think about it I would just not visit efests for a few weeks... if you are constantly reading about it you will naturally be getting excited, if you have a break from the site then it'll give your brain a break. 

Hard to do though. 

I think I might have to do this at some point. For a start I’m getting next to nothing done at work outside of lesson time. Secondly, I’m worried I’m building it up into an adventure that can’t possibly meet expectations. In addition to this, although Mrs Blutarsky is excited and looking forward to it she’s also very nervous about leaving baby Blutarsky at home. As a result, every time I tell her that an area announcement has been made and what acts I’m excited about, the conversation soon turns to worries about being away from Baby B. Don’t get me wrong, she’s excited and keen to talk about music, but she’s finding it hard to separate that from her worries as a mother. 

*pedant alert* 
Normally I’m quite good at ignoring stuff like this, but for some reason I can’t on this occasion… the thread title uses reign (a monarch’s period in power) rather than rein (what you use to lead a horse around) and it’s really bugging me. 

Edited by blutarsky
Typo
  • Upvote 3

I’m also on here loads because none of my mates are interested, they love it and will have great time but they couldn’t give two shits about the Shangri la lineup or the fact that the pyramid might have different screens this year. I send it all to our group and they all read it and ignore it. If however I told them Sam Fender had cancelled (he hasn’t before this makes it’s way around the forum and on to twitter) they’d probably all have a complete meltdown.

It’s always others that seem to reign me in. First Glastonbury for me and my wife will just not entertain any conversation about it. This always ends with her telling me that I won’t manage the camping for 5 nights. 

My mate who I’m going with is busy with work at the moment, so messages are often read with no response. I’m always met with the same intrinsic thoughts that I should just keep my excitement to myself/for efests. 

My wife is excited for the festival but any talk about my excitement when an area gets released etc doesn't seem reciprocated. I think she is more "I'll look at the full line up when it's out".

As for my mates, they're a bit better than that but most of the time me posting the area line ups and (especially) the new map tend to get greeted with silence.

In summary, as others have said, use eFests to discuss your excitement. You'll certainly get a better response 😄 

We have a couple of whatsapp groups...one for the main group that will be at the festival together (15 of us) , and another one for those of us travelling together(6 of us)....both groups see a bit of action when line ups come out and tickets are on sale etc but outside of that its fairly quiet.

My gf has never been to Glastonbury, so telling her that The Glade has moved position is pointless as it goes straight over her head 😄  although she does enjoy watching the coverage either at the time or with me after the event so she can see what I've been watching. 

Like others have said, I use this forum as an outlet to chit chat about the finer details of the festival rather than banging on about it to uninterested mates!

Edited by gooner1990

I'm like this with my wife and friends. She will attend, have a brilliant time and report back to friends how good it is but she's not on efestivals every day and doesn't really care about the line up or where the newest pop up bars is. 

To be fair we are like this with travelling and lots of different areas of life. Sometimes gets annoyed with my 'research' but loves the actual events/holidays because I've usually eeked-out some gems. 

7 minutes ago, Upside down frowner said:

I'm like this with my wife and friends. She will attend, have a brilliant time and report back to friends how good it is but she's not on efestivals every day and doesn't really care about the line up or where the newest pop up bars is. 

To be fair we are like this with travelling and lots of different areas of life. Sometimes gets annoyed with my 'research' but loves the actual events/holidays because I've usually eeked-out some gems. 

Funnily enough its the opposite for me....as when me and my gf do 'city breaks' I just identify a couple of things I want to do/see and she then does the 'itinerary' of sights and restaurants and books everything.  

When we couldn't go abroad during lockdown we went to Cornwall for a week and were in St Ives for a couple of nights and it was heaving everywhere...on the Saturday night we couldn't book a table for dinner, even in Wetherspoons and we decided to try for a walk in or cancellation and still couldn't get anything, resulted in my gf sat on a wall outside Pizza Express rocking back and forth saying 'I can't deal with this, no bookings, no available tables, my itinerary is out of the window' 

I was just stood with a pint (trying to calm her down) from the nearby pub not bothered by it all, we ended up getting a cab back to near our hotel and going for fish and chips at the local takeaway 😄 

My wife loves the Festival but not as obsessive as me - and this year is my first year going on my own as having to work to get in. But even having been many times before I’m still as excited as a little kid at Christmas at the thought of going back this year! So I would say don’t worry too much about getting too hyped - just go with the flow and enjoy the build up.

I do remember the special mix of excitement and uncertainty for my first festival and as others have said, efestivals is your safe space 🤣 Lap it up, immerse yourself in all the planning, tips, lineups, weather threads (special addiction warning for the weather threads!) but don’t worry about popping the cork too early because once you are on site things will kick in at a totally different level. 

Afraid I can’t give any tips for trying to be a bit less ‘obsessed’ because I don’t have any! 

Edited by marktea

I'm bringing my ex, for whom it'll be her first Glastonbury. Bit of a weird one - we were together on ticket day when I promised her tickets for her 40th, and even though we split a few months later, I honoured the gift if she still wanted to go. I absolutely expected her to say no, but she didn't, so now she's coming as a mate.

I gave her the link to the webcam and send her line up posters, but apart from that I don't talk about it. We've discussed camping locations and arrival/departure logistics, and that's it. I'm hoping she's not expecting it to be that great (she's mentioned she's not hugely excited about anyone on the line up) and she'll be very happily surprised, because if she's not it's going to bug me.