Why does everyone want to see the same acts?

Rex2

I always see the same acts mentioned on here and people are gutted if they aren't playing even though they've played multiple times already. E. G. Chemical brothers I dont get the excitement about them playing as they are there pretty much every year but people still lose their shit

What's with the excitement of seeing the same acts every year? 

17 minutes ago, Rex2 said:

I always see the same acts mentioned on here and people are gutted if they aren't playing even though they've played multiple times already. E. G. Chemical brothers I dont get the excitement about them playing as they are there pretty much every year but people still lose their shit

They play ever few years for a good reason. This time is a DJ set so different, i'm probably one of the main people excited for them and i've not seen them on the farm yet.

I don't think anyone is going to be gutted if they aren't playing (bar me)

Some bands play very regularly but not everyone has been to every festival - 2019 was my first chance to see Chemical Brothers despite their regular appearances. Also, the last festival was three years ago - bands that played then and are playing again (or rumoured, or whatever) will have brought out a lot of new material in that time - Fontaines have two albums' worth of material they didn't play at the last festival, to pick just one example. 

But the main crux of your question seems to just be 'why are some things more popular than others', which is better answered by someone with a doctorate in sociology or psychology or something rather than some random forum user. I've not spent much time on here but have seen plenty of posts about very small acts I had never heard of. But obviously more people will be talking about the more popular acts...that's kind of self-evident?

2 hours ago, Rex2 said:

Some acts like The Chemical Brothers always have excitement around them playing because their live shows are always pretty damn good and full of bangers

Some acts like beans on toast play multiple times and have become a festival staple. If they are quite prolific then there's a good chance each set will be a completely different experience.

Some people like the familiarity. In a festival with so much new music, it's easier to get excited about a known quantity.

Is it not ok to have favourite bands though?  Chemical Brothers blow my mind everytime I see them, different visuals, different mixes.   Similarly if Portishead rocked up, despite seeing them over 10 times you'd find me as near at the front of the stage/tent as possible. 

Some bands you just live/breathe for, right? 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, misc said:

Some bands play very regularly but not everyone has been to every festival - 2019 was my first chance to see Chemical Brothers despite their regular appearances. Also, the last festival was three years ago - bands that played then and are playing again (or rumoured, or whatever) will have brought out a lot of new material in that time - Fontaines have two albums' worth of material they didn't play at the last festival, to pick just one example. 

But the main crux of your question seems to just be 'why are some things more popular than others', which is better answered by someone with a doctorate in sociology or psychology or something rather than some random forum user. I've not spent much time on here but have seen plenty of posts about very small acts I had never heard of. But obviously more people will be talking about the more popular acts...that's kind of self-evident?

I've been to 14 festivals, yet somehow I don't think I'd seen the Chems at all, or if I had it was pre-fence.  Was very happy to see them again.  

I also saw Jon Hopkins for the 3rd time in 2019, but that was because the first time was in 2009 at the G Stage in the middle of the day and there were literally 2 people in the crowd.  And the second time when he was on The Glade, it was too rammed and I left after a few minutes.

On 5/5/2022 at 8:59 AM, Rex2 said:

They aren't necessarily the same people...someone may not have had a chance before due to clashes or being a first timer. 

However I await your statistical analysis of bands vs posters with interest. 

On 5/5/2022 at 8:59 AM, Rex2 said:

I'm very much in your camp. With a few exceptions, I always coordinate my plans to see bands all day, non-stop from 1100h - headliners, and will pretty much invariably choose bands I've never seen, or seen only once or twice, over those that I've seen a lot. I'm totally for everyone having the festival they want, but I just don't get it when people get super excited that they're going to see Mik Artistik or Beans on Toast play four or five times at Glastonbury "like I do every year". It's musical anathema to me!

Ben

8 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I'm very much in your camp. With a few exceptions, I always coordinate my plans to see bands all day, non-stop from 1100h - headliners, and will pretty much invariably choose bands I've never seen, or seen only once or twice, over those that I've seen a lot. I'm totally for everyone having the festival they want, but I just don't get it when people get super excited that they're going to see Mik Artistik or Beans on Toast play four or five times at Glastonbury "like I do every year". It's musical anathema to me!

Ben

Aha, but it's always that delicate balance, isn't it? Basically we are going on holiday and we're returning to a destination we've been to many times before.

Do we visit that new trattoria that's just opened up or do we go to the old faithful that's been serving us for years? Also known as the 'Goan Fish Curry' dilemma.

Me, it's also mostly new stuff, but I will see Mik somewhere and I'm locked in for Cassetteboy, but I'll catch you at 4am on Platform 23.

• Upvote 1

I try to check out new music every time I go, but to be honest I'll happily watch an act again if they've been good before.  There are several acts I've seen multiple times at the festival and my decision is usually based on who I think I'll enjoy most at the time rather than whether I'd seen them live before.  

For me largely it can also be about when you see an act, as it can be a much more enjoyable gig if you catch them at the right point in their career where they are blowing up or at their peak than it can seeing them later.  I enjoyed seeing Foals play in 2013 and 2019 but I'd not be so concerned about catching them now, for example, similarly I wish I'd caught Lorde in 2017 when she was at the top of her game and I'd be less bothered seeing her off the back of a disappointing album.

Edited by Spindles
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

I get that but it can be a bit of gamble. Should I miss that act I love to see one I have a vague interest in?

I'll no doubt see Mik at least once and Beans if nothing clashes but if there's 2 acts I want to see and I've seen one of them loads, the other wins out.

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

I get that but it can be a bit of gamble. Should I miss that act I love to see one I have a vague interest in?

I'll no doubt see Mik at least once and Beans if nothing clashes but if there's 2 acts I want to see and I've seen one of them loads, the other wins out.

Gotta do your homework, man!

Ben

Just now, bennyhana22 said:

Gotta do your homework, man!

Ben

You have a lot more there that interests you. I know I'll find plenty but it's not like I can go "Nothing's grabbing me at the moment, I wonder what's on Silver Hayes, The Common, Block 9, Glade, Unfairground, Shangri-La..."

I do though check out West Holts, Park, JP, Other, Pyramid, Avalon, Acoustic etc. but if say Elbow are playing, I know I'll love it so I'm not going to miss it for some bloke playing Avalon who had a couple of songs I liked.

I do tend to do the repeat jobs on a Wednesday or Thursday though.

• Upvote 1

Novelty is a huge factor in deciding who I see now. I've been going to gigs since I was 15, and over the course of 10+ years I've pretty much exhausted all of my "must sees" who are still about. Now for me it's largely about seeing things which are new and fresh.  

The Glastonbury formula is:

Quality of Music + Novelty + Chance of catching them again / Ticket price + Level/Type of intoxication

4 hours ago, Spindles said:

I try to check out new music every time I go, but to be honest I'll happily watch an act again if they've been good before.  There are several acts I've seen multiple times at the festival and my decision is usually based on who I think I'll enjoy most at the time rather than whether I'd seen them live before.  

For me largely it can also be about when you see an act, as it can be a much more enjoyable gig if you catch them at the right point in their career where they are blowing up or at their peak than it can seeing them later.  I enjoyed seeing Foals play in 2013 and 2019 but I'd not be so concerned about catching them now, for example, similarly I wish I'd caught Lorde in 2017 when she was at the top of her game and I'd be less bothered seeing her off the back of a disappointing album.

Totally agree with this. Generally best to see bands either on the way up or when you really enjoyed their most recent album.  I had a much better time at James at Playground Festival last year than I did when I saw them at Glastonbury and it was because I was actually looking forward to them playing the new material.

When I was younger I used to think it was pointless seeing a band twice. Now I think it's pointless paying to see a band if they haven't released anything I like since the last time I saw them.