The Glade - New Location

BL1ND T1G3R

22 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Another theory - after they stuck some speakers in the actual trees in 2019, they realised how good it was to dance under the trees, rather than under a tent looking at a stage, so have leaned into it, and the whole area where the Glade Stage used to be will now be speakers from the main stage, so people can dance under the trees.

Plus, the old Glade stage was starting to look skanky as fuck.  Like, really grotty, to the point that in 2019, they tried to disguise it by adding an extra layer underneath, but you could still see the mould behind it.  So, given it was time to replace the tent, they decided to go bigger and give us the best of both worlds.  Maybe?

Having been to Lost Village, where the majority of the stages are in the woods, I can vouch for this.

Would be very cool at Glasto.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Having been to Lost Village, where the majority of the stages are in the woods, I can vouch for this.

yeah big upvote for this, i love an open air stage at times but the trees sort of kept all the sound in and it was all one immersive entity

42 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Yes, massively agree. Considering there are some beautiful tree/ wild areas I think G could do with one more area that's open under trees. 

I really hope it’s not just a tent, I don’t mind it moving so much if it’s open, but I loved that about the glade you could kind of half watch if you wanted to or get really involved. One of my favourite venues even though musically it’s not really me, let’s just hope it’s great

• 7 months later...
Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I mentioned (my old favourite stage) the Glade earlier and wondered if we'll see it back in it's original spot next year. I really hope so. I know I'm biased but I wasn't feeling the new area at all this year

yeah much better in the trees if they are still there 

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I mentioned (my old favourite stage) the Glade earlier and wondered if we'll see it back in it's original spot next year. I really hope so. I know I'm biased but I wasn't feeling the new area at all this year

Neither was I, too open, too near a main thoroughfare and the sound was dreadful, could barely hear it unless you were right near the stage.

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Neither was I, too open, too near a main thoroughfare and the sound was dreadful, could barely hear it unless you were right near the stage.

which actually wasnt that much of a mission to get too ..... walk directly along the back below the spike deck and then down the right hand side as you look at the stage 

I thought the whole area was a massive improvement. 

It was actually a return to the original area and vibe of the glade. The area under the trees is still there but more of an old school, ‘Goa’ rave vibe, under the stars and simple stretched fabric between trees, plenty of space to dance under the open nature. This is what it was in 2000 etc. 

Now the big main stage is further away, in a new area, larger and better for bigger names. You did need to be in the tent though to hear a decent loud sound (and the sound was very good inside). I can only assume this is necessary to avoid bleed with the trees area acts. 

Finally the spike bar area didn’t have music which is not needed due to the bleed it used to have. and a better viewing platform and chill out area. 

Perfect if you ask me.

Edited by danbailey80
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Interesting.

So remind me, what was the reason behind the move? Budget? I thought it was because they needed to remove a load of trees? 

When we heard about it the discussion on here was the trees being diseased, plus a sound bleed with the Other Stage. There didn't appear to be a great loss of trees in the Glade from what I could see. I'd guess the main reason was to create a bigger stage, which wasn't possible within the original area.

6 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

When we heard about it the discussion on here was the trees being diseased, plus a sound bleed with the Other Stage. There didn't appear to be a great loss of trees in the Glade from what I could see. I'd guess the main reason was to create a bigger stage, which wasn't possible within the original area.

Makes sense. I liked what they did with the old Glade area, just the new stage didn't land with me. I guess I have so many great memories of being under that canopy, I'm slightly biased