The Glade - New Location

BL1ND T1G3R

Possibly reading too much into it but the way the font is done on the map reads to me "The glade" is the area made up of the stage (in its new location) and "glade" being a bit within all the trees where there will be stuff but more likely to be a bar with a woods vibe. 

The sound bleed on the Sunday to the other stage in 2019 from squarepusher was really quite bad. Christine and the queen's even spoke about it a couple of times in her set. Maybe that with there being less trees forced a change?

49 minutes ago, BL1ND T1G3R said:

Gutted 

I used to love the Glade Stage in the trees 😢

09D07D29-9888-44E9-A655-3F988B8B635D.jpeg

32 minutes ago, assorted said:

Is this (Glade, Avalon changes) all about them cutting stages and areas to save money this year?

Based on the lineups for the major areas announced so far, probably not.

Maybe this new location means they anticipate bigger crowds (for bigger bookings!)

36 minutes ago, assorted said:

Is this (Glade, Avalon changes) all about them cutting stages and areas to save money this year?

I think more likely a 3 year hiatus has really allowed them to rethink some bits and focus on quality of experience.

There's possibly an additional venue in SE corner. (Extra blue blob)

Arcadia field seems to be bigger (spider back but how exactly remains to be seen)

Five venues in silver hayes replaced with four, and arguably an even bigger lineup.

And the constant speculation about new bigger pyramid screens

1 minute ago, gfa said:

Based on the lineups for the major areas announced so far, probably not.

Yeah, if GFL were really needing to economise then we wouldn’t have had the absolutely stacked lineup to date…

Especially for areas like Shangri-La that don’t necessarily need big acts, people would still be there dancing their heads off regardless. 😁

A few tweaks to smaller stages will be a drop in the ocean compared to the overall event budget. IMO this is for creative and/or operational reasons, not down to money.

(PS We should all feel very lucky that the festival has got through 2 unplanned cancelled years in good enough financial shape to still put on a show like this is shaping up to be. It’s no mean feat!)

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, assorted said:

Contrary to above post yes … there’s quite a bit of speculation around budget caps for this years festival …. Sec , Arcadia , silver Hayes all having venues trimmed out 

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Contrary to above post yes … there’s quite a bit of speculation around budget caps for this years festival …. Sec , Arcadia , silver Hayes all having venues trimmed out 

Ah, fair enough - I’d missed that. Is the suggestion that there are significant budget reductions versus past years?

As I said above, it certainly doesn’t look that way from the lineup… But I guess the fees for some big names are outweighed by a reduction if there are fewer venues to programme.

Arcadia’s budget was confirmed as £550k (or £450k, one of the two but I can’t remember, but no different to previous years anyway) wasn’t it? Which was the same as it’s been previously? The only issue with Arcadias budget is they couldn’t afford to fully dismantle the crane and rebuild it, which is obvious given it was never in their plan to have to do that. Arcadia has really only ever just been the Spider, it’s not like they have multiple other venues, it’s the same spider in a field with some fire, and this year they’ve got the most stacked lineup ever, so there is no evidence of budget cuts there, especially as the field is actually bigger if anything.

There doesn’t seem to be any less acts on the lineup and if anything the quality of the acts is higher than ever, they’ve all got to be housed on stages somehow, therefore if you cut venues by number you’ll just need bigger ones to replace them, so it’s as broad as it’s long. It wouldn’t surprise me if some areas had their budgets cut though, but it will be so money can be redistributed elsewhere to other newer, bigger venues. I doubt the overall spend is lower with the increased ticket price and capacity, just redistributed differently to allow for bigger venues to house more acts and a larger crowd. They have increased capacity 10k so I’d imagine it’s just more about making bigger spaces that can house more people.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

There is also no evidence of budget cuts in Silver Hayes unless the current map is true and there is in fact no Firmly Rooted stage. If it’s an oversight and there is, all that’s happened is the Pussy Parlour (a tent) has effectively been replaced with an actual stage, and BBC introducing had been shifted out. Firmly Rooted is just a direct replacement for Blues/Gully, so if it’s there if anything you’d say there was slightly more budget spent on replacing a tent with a stage swapping out the PP for the lonely hearts club, if it isn’t there then of course you could say the opposite.

As well as the planning permission issue on the crane, I seem to remember watching a video of them getting the crane, seem to remember a figure some along paying 1 million on it. And that the first year the crane would be basic, but good and the following year they was going to spend another million, on improving it, could have been a dream ha

16 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Everyone making out like the Glade was/is the hub of Glastonbury and a move 200 metres is going to change much. Let's wait to see what it's like and not get too wound up beforehand.

It’s concerning how many people fear change on this forum 😅

BEDFA8C6-826F-41D4-8057-B58ECC16BACC.gif

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Everyone making out like the Glade was/is the hub of Glastonbury and a move 200 metres is going to change much. Let's wait to see what it's like and not get too wound up beforehand.

Haha yeah we definitely have to wait and see how it works out - I'm happy to be pleasantly surprised. 

I think it's just disappointing to not have The Glade in, you know, the glade. 

8 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Having venues trimmed down frees up more capacity for paying tickets. I also think it might actually explain some of the bigger names as they can afford to do it for less. 

56 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

I suppose a lot of people are thinking how crap it was last time they tried moving the actual Glade Stage to basically the same location it will be in for 2022 and re-named it "The Spirit of 71 Stage". No vibes. 

1 hour ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Have you really enjoyed a set at the Glade stage before? It’s quite special.

I think its because people associate 'The Glade' as being within the trees, not outside it.....if you moved (for example) West Holts 200m no one would really care because its the same big open air stage and makes no real difference to the ambiance of the stage. 

Taking 'The Glade' out of the trees completely changes what that stage is like for many people, even if it is only to where the Spaceport has previously been.

• Upvote 3