First timer - where to camp!?

Missviv24

3 hours ago, Missviv24 said:

Hiya, first time to Glastonbury, arriving by coach, where do I find out about where best to camp? 

Also any other tips helpful!! Especially what to expect when tackling that walk to the campgrounds

Thanks

As with everything at Glastonbury (you will find this out) there are no right and wrong answers. However;

Read Torts guide - link in post above.

• If you're coming by coach then you will enter at Gate A which is next to the coach station, so no big trek at this point.
  • You can choose to stay in those first fields you come into and you'll be perfectly fine, I've always camped in Darble, and it avoids a trek not only on the day you arrive but on the Monday morning when you are f***ed.
  • Those fields are fairly quiet though, so if you want more of a party atmosphere then head on down towards the fields around Arcadia. These do fill up pretty quickly so you'll need to be there mid morning Wednesday for a good spot. There is metal trackway down to walk along but I'd make sure that you can tramp for a good half hour with your backpack on before the festival.
  • Alternatively, when you come in Gate A you can turn left and head towards those fields to the north of the site which are handier for John Peel and Pyramid.
  • If you can split your luggage, then once you're through the gate you can drop some off at the Property Lockup in Darble and come back for it later. They are free to use (a donation is appreciated as they are run by charities) and will take anything. Take a photo of your ticket in case you lose it.
  • You could maybe take something like a sack barrow on the coach which would help if it's sturdy enough - perhaps others could advise on the feasibility of this but I'm sure I've seen them on the coach.
  • When you have finally pitched your tent, introduce yourself to your neighbours and then make sure you know pretty much where it is because when you come back to it, it will probably be dark and you'll be knackered and/or otherwise.

Come back on here if you have more questions and have a great first festival.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I have camped all over the site, from right by the New Bands Tent as it was then (John Peel now) to over by the late night areas. Apart from a few years at Park Home, I don't think I've ever stopped in the same area. 

I'd get a sense check from your group on what you're really into, based on the excellent info above. There's lots of mythology about the best place to camp but really, I've never camped anywhere that didn't have pros and cons - apart from the one year I went with the group from hell and they insisted on camping immediately as they got in from the car park as far away from everything as we could be. 

Otherwise I would say: 
- If you drink, and you like spirits, bring those over beers. You can always buy mixers on site and its just better ratio in your luggage to beers. 
- Sack truck on the coach can be risky. It does happen but as tents have gotten bigger and bigger over the years, I've also seen trucks full of beer left on the roadside. All luck of the drawer. 
- Bring way more socks that you think you need, and then some more. 

The question that's almost impossible to answer. Everyones festival is different so different camping areas suit them more. With being a first timer sometimes i think its best to just find a spot and then when the next festival comes around you will know the site better and know what areas you're more likely to be at so can camp closer.

I personally like the party side of things so tend to be in the SE (Naughty) corner until the music stops around 7am so I aim to camp in Pennards Hill as its only a short walk back.

Apart from my first year we’ve tended to aim for anywhere near the railway track  (partly for practicality, partly out of tradition now)A few times in Oxylers, mostly in Park Home…twice in Paines/SP2. We just plod until we can’t be arsed to lug our gear much further, the nearest available spot to where we’re stood is then the winner. 

Not much method to it I’ll admit, but it’s just somewhere to kip and its worked out fine (most) years. In 16 festivals I’ve only had one tent flooding and one attempted burglary.

On 5/4/2022 at 3:20 PM, Missviv24 said:

Hiya, first time to Glastonbury, arriving by coach, where do I find out about where best to camp? 

Also any other tips helpful!! Especially what to expect when tackling that walk to the campgrounds

Thanks

Depends what type of neighbours you want. The fields opposite the Other Stage are good, but for complete peace, camp just inside the Wicket gate. Most of the fields are a bit rough and the noise DOES NOT STOP so if you intend on sleeping, factor that in. Don't camp on a trackway and make friends with your neighbours- most importantly- flat ground. rolling around inside your tent on a hill is no fun. Without knowing any more about you, that's my general advice. Oh and don't campy under the electricity pylons- the hum will drive you nuts.

Tips? Forget all that. Just make sure you can always find your friends, it'll be overwhelming at first and you WILL get lost. But that's OK. Don't miss the sunrise, don't worry about getting from stage to stage for any band, and let yourself go. 

Invest in a good torch, a good backpack, steer clear of the maniacs.

Arriving by coach is a bit of a pain, and depending on when you arrive be prepared to wait- have water with you. 

On 5/4/2022 at 3:20 PM, Missviv24 said:

Thanks

Your camping options will be determined by your arrival time and how far you are prepared to walk. If arriving mid-morning onwards it's always best to consult the camping site notice boards once you get in. These show where space is available. Don't expect to find space in popular areas if arriving passed midday Wednesday. Above all manage expectations to avoid tramping from one field to another searching for the ideal campsite. And finally.....don't set up camp:-

a. by the toilets

b. by a road or walkway

c. in a hollow

You can find out why yourself 🤣

5 hours ago, deepkittycaz said:

Not at all. We securely store phones and wallets too, and ensure the latter are in tamper proof packaging as well.

5 hours ago, incident said:

No, not really.

if it works for you fair enough, i'd not be going every day at 5am to hand them over then get them in 4 hours time! Great service though