Where to go for Pudding?

Junglist1981

17 hours ago, balti-pie said:

a bloody gateaux stall 😆 its wonderful, dont get me wrong, but when defending the festival from people who say its all too middle class and Guardian these days, having a gateaux stall doesnt help at all

It's the largest middle class gathering outside of Wimbledon and Goodwood

1 hour ago, dogeggs said:

I used to get my sugar fix from that village market at Greenpeace. They had some lovely cake going on over there, but it disappeared a festival or two ago…so I’m going to keep a keen eye on this thread for top tips.

Ah yeah that was great...they had some phenomenal flatbreads too.....

18 hours ago, balti-pie said:

a bloody gateaux stall 😆 its wonderful, dont get me wrong, but when defending the festival from people who say its all too middle class and Guardian these days, having a gateaux stall doesnt help at all

Depends what’s mixed into the cakes 😉

lol just because a word is French doesn't make it middle class. My great aunt used to feed us huge slices of cheap gateaux with a cup of strong sugary tea when I was a kid. She was definitely not middle class (she was also clearly not a dentist)

45 minutes ago, misc said:

lol just because a word is French doesn't make it middle class. My great aunt used to feed us huge slices of cheap gateaux with a cup of strong sugary tea when I was a kid. She was definitely not middle class (she was also clearly not a dentist)

Being French and originally working class, I can confirm that gateau is nothing more to me than cake.

20 hours ago, Beaver89 said:

Yeo valley frozen yoghurt was always a winner on a hot day. Don't think they were there when I last was in 2016 though. Used to be in the main market area along one of the pyramid side drags iirc. Can anyone confirm they don't go anymore?

Yep they got too big … those ice creams were a bargain 

11 hours ago, ErnestWorthing said:

It's the largest middle class gathering outside of Wimbledon and Goodwood

If you think people at Glastonbury are middle class you’ve clearly never been to Badminton horse trials! Oh my days lol

People at Glastonbury are by and large your everyday man and women from the down the street. It just gets labelled middle class because it refuses to be tabloidy and commercial.

I’m neither posh or middle class, but I don’t consider gateaux to be middle class, if anything isn’t it a bit naff and eighties and the sort of thing you’d buy in Iceland?

Don't get wrong gateaux is lovely, but I don’t think it’s at the cutting edge of culinary sophistication. See also vienetta, prawn cocktail and those hedgehogs made out of squares of cheese and pickled onions.

If this year there's a stall where a well presented bloke wearing a suit and white gloves with a neatly folded serviette over his arm solemnly flambés Crepe Suzette I might accept that Glastonbury is middle class.

Then again that's just orangey pancakes innit... Can a pudding ever be truly middle class?

On 5/3/2022 at 2:21 PM, balti-pie said:

Not a fan of life in the gateaux?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m neither posh or middle class, but I don’t consider gateaux to be middle class, if anything isn’t it a bit naff and eighties and the sort of thing you’d buy in Iceland?

Don't get wrong gateaux is lovely, but I don’t think it’s at the cutting edge of culinary sophistication. See also vienetta, prawn cocktail and those hedgehogs made out of squares of cheese and pickled onions.

When I was a child, vienetta was the height of fine dining. On another note, the former "model" whose hand "famously" cracked the ice cream delight on the advert used to live a few doors from me. She even referred to herself as the "hand of Vienetta". 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

If this year there's a stall where a well presented bloke wearing a suit and white gloves with a neatly folded serviette over his arm solemnly flambés Crepe Suzette I might accept that Glastonbury is middle class.

Then again that's just orangey pancakes innit... Can a pudding ever be truly middle class?

Maybe when it has coulis rather than sauce 😀

On 5/3/2022 at 2:16 PM, Junglist1981 said:

Or for dessert if you're posh.

Inspired by the crumble stall that Billy Bragg likes

Can you recommend anywhere else to get a bowl of something tasty and sweet?

There's a gateaux stall that we love, it's in the market near the bandstand (I think). Have been back for seconds many times. Black Forest Gateaux, Strawberry Gateaux... other gateaux's... Highly recommended.

That guy from Great British Bakeoff who made the banging Key Lime Pie had a stall in Williams Green selling said pie for a couple of years at least. Dunno if he still does it?

There's a good brownie stall in Williams Green too, think it's a yellow van thing maybe? Nice bowl of chocolate brownie and ice cream or custard. Yum.

Also I count the hot cider from the cider bus as pudding. Fucking lovely.

I had no idea the Crumble Shack was at Glastonbury! I've only ever seen them once, at Festival Number 6 in 2017 and it was amazing 

10 hours ago, Junglist1981 said:

Cheesecake has coulis on sometimes… nothing fancy about cheesecake.

Fucksake now I want cheesecake. 

Nothing fancy about cheesecake true but there was a time when coulis was just sauce rather than coulis. 

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

What about angel delight, does that still exist? Please tell me it does? Having flashbacks to the caramel flavour and begging my parents for it but being told there wasn’t enough milk 😔

We had to put up with own brand instant whip.

I'd never anticipated that the next round of the class war would be triggered by a discussion about pudding. 

15 hours ago, Junglist1981 said:

If you think people at Glastonbury are middle class you’ve clearly never been to Badminton horse trials! Oh my days lol

People at Glastonbury are by and large your everyday man and women from the down the street. It just gets labelled middle class because it refuses to be tabloidy and commercial.

Badminton horse trials are upper class.  People at Glastonbury by and large are your everyday man and woman from down the street... in a nice leafy suburb.  There's nothing wrong with it, it's not a criticism, but I wouldn't say Glastonbury is heavily working class.  Maybe in the 90s but not anymore.