Official Leftfield Announcement

blutarsky

27 minutes ago, Quark said:

Walk down between Leftfield and Pyramid, although memory's foggy on how far down. I should know, given how many times I went there!

Yes I can't remember exactly where but it's definitely near Leftfield. If Billy Bragg has anything to do with it I expect it will be again. I never went there last time as I didn't seem to be over that way at night and during the day was too hot. 

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes I can't remember exactly where but it's definitely near Leftfield. If Billy Bragg has anything to do with it I expect it will be again. I never went there last time as I didn't seem to be over that way at night and during the day was too hot. 

Do it. It's bloody lovely.

50 minutes ago, jump said:

I'm not sure why but I've still not convinced of them live yet despite liking their music. One time it might have been the shit acoustics of the venue which got in the way and the other time the support act Calva Louise were fucking amazing that night so they had a tough time following them. Or maybe I saw them before they had really honed their live shows and I just didn't drink enough when I saw them?

If you like their new release youll enjoy the current show. If not, its going to be mostly from the latest and youll lose out on their prior energy per say. 

57 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Is there video because I bet it didn't go down quite like this 

It did to my ears. Somebody in the crowd was given the mic for a question/comment and said it’s a shame there isn’t representation from the right so there could be proper debate. Billy pointed out that it’s called Leftfield but he was quite abrupt and there was definitely a tone of aggression in his voice. For whatever reason, that seemed to get under his skin. 

I don’t personally have a problem with it being entirely left, being a lefty myself,  except that the left are maddeningly self-defeating half the time, and haven’t learned that consensus despite disagreement is a critical key to power. 

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It did to my ears. Somebody in the crowd was given the mic for a question/comment and said it’s a shame there isn’t representation from the right so there could be proper debate. Billy pointed out that it’s called Leftfield but he was quite abrupt and there was definitely a tone of aggression in his voice. For whatever reason, that seemed to get under his skin

I don’t personally have a problem with it being entirely left, being a lefty myself,  except that the left are maddeningly self-defeating half the time, and haven’t learned that consensus despite disagreement is a critical key to power. 

I'd wager at a guess that it's one of those questions that comes up relatively frequently, and if it's not set up as a debating chamber (see previous) then he probably gets fed up of hearing it. Would explain why it gets on his nerves maybe.

6 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

If the forecast is as they said in the weather thread today I think a spot of crumble as a late evening snack could be perfect. 

Weather schmeather. A good crumble's a good crumble 😄

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It did to my ears. Somebody in the crowd was given the mic for a question/comment and said it’s a shame there isn’t representation from the right so there could be proper debate. Billy pointed out that it’s called Leftfield but he was quite abrupt and there was definitely a tone of aggression in his voice. For whatever reason, that seemed to get under his skin. 

Saw billy throw someone out of one of his gigs cos he was shouting something about Arsenal (i think) . Refused to continue until they guy had been removed.

Apparently (or it was explained to me when i was-" what the fuck is going on " it was some coded Jewish slur. 

That felt quite hostile too tbh. Not what i  expected at a 3 nights of billy bragg session. There was also a full on fight in the crowd.

Mind you also saw that happen at first fleet foxes gig 

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'd wager at a guess that it's one of those questions that comes up relatively frequently, and if it's not set up as a debating chamber (see previous) then he probably gets fed up of hearing it. Would explain why it gets on his nerves maybe.

I'd wager that too. Maybe they should make it clearer it's about discussions amongst the left 

11 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I suppose the right have their own spaces for discussion which are blocked off to the left - the majority of our national newspapers for example. So if there's a safe space for one weekend at Glastonbury where the left can have a conversation I can sort of see Billy's point - maybe not the tone of his response if he did so in that way, but I can see how it would irritate him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I'd wager that too. Maybe they should make it clearer it's about discussions amongst the left 

I mean, in fairness it’s an openly left festival and Leftfield is the leftist bit of it, so anyone hoping to see Nick Ferrari on the lineup needs to ‘ave a word. But on the flip side, there are times I think elements of the left (the far left) assume to own the term to the extent they’re more interested in arguing with people on their own side to some extent, rather than bring the fight to the Tories. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

I mean, in fairness it’s an openly left festival and Leftfield is the leftist bit of it, so anyone hoping to see Nick Ferrari on the lineup needs to ‘ave a word. But on the flip side, there are times I think elements of the left (the far left) assume to own the term to the extent they’re more interested in arguing with people on their own side to some extent, rather than bring the fight to the Tories. 

I think it's very difficult to argue Starmer is left when labour disseminating this:

image.thumb.png.31d67cb58b4d734a9f8ffe48951cef17.png

I understand they are trying to appeal to Daily Mail and Sun readers but right now the Labour leadership is not left wing 

3 hours ago, jonnyisRFC said:
3 hours ago, gigpusher said:

A little gutted that Bob Vylan isn't on the line up though I did think he'd be perfect. 

Asked Bob on Instagram live last night if they were playing Glasto this year and he ignored it, someone asked him straight away after if they were playing Reading and Leeds and he said they weren’t this year. Really hope they play but you’re right, leftfield felt like the most obvious place for them. Maybe they’ll appear somewhere in shangri la? 

Would be over the moon if Vylan turn up and play somewhere, anywhere, pretty please.

I'm not entirely sure he fits with Bragg's version of a left wing vibe, Bobby's not exactly preaching pacifism.

They'd make a good racket in the JP tent, would that be an unlikely booking?

There was a year, forget which (2015?) when there was some brilliant old punk bands playing (The Mob, Culture Shock, RDF etc), would be great if they brought back the squat venue and put Vylan on there.

21 minutes ago, danmarks said:

Saw billy throw someone out of one of his gigs cos he was shouting something about Arsenal (i think) . Refused to continue until they guy had been removed.

Apparently (or it was explained to me when i was-" what the fuck is going on " it was some coded Jewish slur. 

That felt quite hostile too tbh. Not what i  expected at a 3 nights of billy bragg session. There was also a full on fight in the crowd.

Mind you also saw that happen at first fleet foxes gig 

Should add this wasnt at Glastonbury- it was 3 nights of b.bragg in bristol so people knew what they were going to and actively bought tickets to see him. All seemed odd.

18 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I think the name kind of covers that! 

2 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I got ignored when I asked on Twitter. Fingers crossed. 

Don't follow this? What's the connection / lack of connection between them?

He’s been vocal of his support of Paddy in the past and even called him his mate. 

But there has been quite a collective silence from many including Jamie about those racist/right wing tweets from Paddy. Especially considering the whole ‘fuck the tories’ thing.

However that’s probably something for another debate on scouse nationalism etc.

12 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I think it's very difficult to argue Starmer is left when labour disseminating this:

I understand they are trying to appeal to Daily Mail and Sun readers but right now the Labour leadership is not left wing 

Honestly they are an embarrassment. 

19 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

So true mate.

59 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

It was opposite the entrance to Leftfield. Billy said he had actually moved his mike slightly so he couldn't see it when he was performing as he was finding himself thinking about the next crumble he was  going to have instead of the song.