Official Leftfield Announcement

blutarsky

21 minutes ago, kalifire said:

If by balanced debate you mean representation from different sides of politics, you won’t find that there. Leftfield is a place for the left, as Billy Bragg once angrily shouted at someone who dared to suggest some balance might be nice. 

What's the point then?  Genuine question!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, kalifire said:

If by balanced debate you mean representation from different sides of politics, you won’t find that there. Leftfield is a place for the left, as Billy Bragg once angrily shouted at someone who dared to suggest some balance might be nice

Is there video because I bet it didn't go down quite like this 

19 minutes ago, kalifire said:

If by balanced debate you mean representation from different sides of politics, you won’t find that there. Leftfield is a place for the left, as Billy Bragg once angrily shouted at someone who dared to suggest some balance might be nice. 

Ah. I’m very much of the left, but I shall be politely avoiding this stage again this year 🙂

Just now, Junglist1981 said:

Ah. I’m very much of the left, but I shall be politely avoiding this stage again this year 🙂

Although I bet for a lot of issues at the moment there will be differences of opinion let's face it issues like Brexit/COVID and even a lot of identity politics don't necessarily go along party lines. 

2 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

The Regrettes lets goooooo 

I'm not sure why but I've still not convinced of them live yet despite liking their music. One time it might have been the shit acoustics of the venue which got in the way and the other time the support act Calva Louise were fucking amazing that night so they had a tough time following them. Or maybe I saw them before they had really honed their live shows and I just didn't drink enough when I saw them?

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Although I bet for a lot of issues at the moment there will be differences of opinion let's face it issues like Brexit/COVID and even a lot of identity politics don't necessarily go along party lines. 

Yeah you’re not selling it to me tbh! If I’m walking past and there’s music on I’ll definitely stick my head in. As soon as someone starts saying anything remotely political I’ll run away to the glade 😁

7 minutes ago, BluePaul said:

Because not everything has to be debate. As an example I wouldn't go to a "Save the NHS" event expecting to hear a counter argument from a representative of a private healthcare consortium, or to a David Attenborough lecture to hear about how climate change is fabricated.

Leftfield is better viewed as a place for those with similar or aligned views, or just curious about it, to hear from others of a similar mindset talk about issues from that perspective and to have discussions about it, rather than a debating forum where all voices are heard from every spectrum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 15

Just now, Junglist1981 said:

Yeah you’re not selling it to me tbh! If I’m walking past and there’s music on I’ll definitely stick my head in. As soon as someone starts saying anything remotely political I’ll run away to the glade 😁

Yes I'll be honest it's not for me either with the choices that are available at the same time. I have no problems with a bit of politics between songs from the acts but don't think I want to be sobbing thinking about the war in Ukraine or the cost of living whilst I am there. 

2 hours ago, Ashl said:

What is the Radical Round up? Is it all those acts playing in quick succession? I've never been to one to find out!

I’ve been to a couple of these, by chance  just wandering by & they are a nice way to spend a quieter hour away from the craziness elsewhere. 

Billy Nomates will be great for this stage, saw her at EOTR last year. Jason W may come on for her set too.

22 minutes ago, BluePaul said:

The "left" is still quite a broad spectrum so you can have loads of debate and discussion from different perspectives without having to broaden it to all elements of the political spectrum. 

It's a space to debate the nuances of a political position without necessarily having to include those with the opposite view.

Edited by Leyrulion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes I'll be honest it's not for me either with the choices that are available at the same time. I have no problems with a bit of politics between songs from the acts but don't think I want to be sobbing thinking about the war in Ukraine or the cost of living whilst I am there. 

That doesn't happen though - once the music starts it is mainly all about the music.  I've seen some cracking acts there.  

19 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Generally there is a positive spin on the debates, the ones that I have been to with even the most bleak of topics have focused around what the left can do to challenge this, or for example what organisations or causes currently exist to improve situations and how they can be supported.

I have never come away with a negative feeling, but more energised to do something or contribute, and often ended up doing stuff outside of Glasto based on things I have heard about at Leftfield.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

Generally there is a positive spin on the debates, the ones that I have been to with even the most bleak of topics have focused around what the left can do to challenge this, or for example what organisations or causes currently exist to improve situations and how they can be supported.

I have never come away with a negative feeling, but more energised to do something or contribute, and often ended up doing stuff outside of Glasto based on things I have heard about at Leftfield.

That is much more encouraging 🙂

4 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

Good to hear, that's exactly their aim, isn't it?

"Recharge your activism"

Like most, I usually steer clear of the Leftfield tent.

Only time I've spent in there was on Saturday 2019, after we'd accidentally given ourselves heatstroke watching Mac DeMarco & needed some shade as we rested & rehydrated for an hour. Think some acoustic guitar music may have playing at some point, but barely noticed. 

Good spot to listen in to some talks if you're grabbing food in the area & then move on to the next show. 

10 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

That doesn't happen though - once the music starts it is mainly all about the music.  I've seen some cracking acts there.  

Yes so have I but like all of the stages some acts do say something that some people would perceive to be political just by means of introducing the song and that doesn't bother me in the slightest.