Portishead?

pauladam

Whats everyone's thoughts on Portishead maybe making an appearance - Im sure its probably slimmer than a slim thing - but with them playing this Warchild Ukraine benefit tonight (google it - you can pay/donate £5 to be sent the streaming link) - Im ever hopeful they might just realise they enjoy it and decide to do some further dates?

I know its the longest of long shots ever - but I will have everything crossed that it could happen

1 hour ago, pauladam said:

Whats everyone's thoughts on Portishead maybe making an appearance - Im sure its probably slimmer than a slim thing - but with them playing this Warchild Ukraine benefit tonight (google it - you can pay/donate £5 to be sent the streaming link) - Im ever hopeful they might just realise they enjoy it and decide to do some further dates?

I know its the longest of long shots ever - but I will have everything crossed that it could happen

Seems he had very mixed feelings about their past success, but a bit happier about folks sharing their appreciation a couple of years ago... 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/portishead-dummy-gentrification-geoff-barrow-3250879

1 hour ago, pauladam said:

i imagine theyre only playing 3-5 songs tonight.

I had hoped they would replace Massive Attack at Primavera, but since that isn't happening I say this is even slimmer than slim. Traveling to play a show is whole different beast than playing a local one.  

I hope that they will return someday though

I wasn’t sure if we’d ever see them live again but then they’re out tonight admittedly only playing for 30 mins but it was a similar event (Tsunami Gig) that brought them back and 2 years later we had third.  Be very surprised if they’d go from playing for 30 minutes to playing Glasto as they’ve not played live for a good 7-8 years 

They are on at 9-9:30pm for anyone interested 

Edited by tumbles

I’d love it, but not going to happen. Decided to see Chic in 2013 over Portishead and Arctic Monkeys. Still not sure it was the right decision, but the clashes that Friday were utterly biblical. I almost had an aneurysm in the run up trying to figure it out. If they do crop up, think I’d find it hard to stay away this time.

3 hours ago, clarkete said:

Seems he had very mixed feelings about their past success, but a bit happier about folks sharing their appreciation a couple of years ago... 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/portishead-dummy-gentrification-geoff-barrow-3250879

i cant see it, if they wanted to play festies they'd take some bookings and some big money for it, they don't need to sneak around at it.

16 minutes ago, Neil said:

i cant see it, if they wanted to play festies they'd take some bookings and some big money for it, they don't need to sneak around at it.

Based on that write up it seems that they're concerned about things other than money.  I hadn't even realised they came from your 'hood 😉 

17 minutes ago, Neil said:

me too, i regret that.

Do you?

It's a very tricky clash, as Portishead are a band I'd love to have seen there that weekend, but being there on a Friday night and wanting to go and see something for some fun I went to Chic and that was one of those shows which was well packed with people having fun and got some of the most positive reviews of that year (and they're just the sort of band I had zero time for when I was a youngster)
https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2013/jun/29/chic-glastonbury-2013-review

Leave Glasto on a high, they can't possibly better their 2013 other stage gig, no point even trying, it was trule perfect in every way possible way, sound, atmosphere, visuals, great crowd... all the stars aligned that night for me...

.. it's still the best gig I have ever had the privilege to be at at Worthy Farm...

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Leave Glasto on a high, they can't possibly better their 2013 other stage gig, no point even trying, it was trule perfect in every way possible way, sound, atmosphere, visuals, great crowd... all the stars aligned that night for me...

.. it's still the best gig I have ever had the privilege to be at at Worthy Farm...

Agreed, unless they have a new album but just can’t see it. I’ve been fortunate to see them maybe 10+ times and 2013 was heads and shoulders above the rest. The only one that would come close is NYC and wasn’t there for that 🤣

19 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

I couldn't put it better, an absolute privilege to be there that night.  I'd love to see them on the farm again, but if not?  Well, I've got some amazing memories.

4 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I couldn't put it better, an absolute privilege to be there that night.  I'd love to see them on the farm again, but if not?  Well, I've got some amazing memories.

He he, very easy sentiment from you folks that saw them in 2013 😊

22 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

It was glorious even though I only saw half - my cousin and I decided pre-gig that we would make a run for Chic halfway through (we couldn't miss Beth and co but everyone else was at Chic). It was a wrench to pull ourselves away but turned out to be a win-win for us. From achingly beautiful, stunning perfection to an absolute party at West Holts 😊

10 hours ago, ilovelanegan said:

It was glorious even though I only saw half - my cousin and I decided pre-gig that we would make a run for Chic halfway through (we couldn't miss Beth and co but everyone else was at Chic). It was a wrench to pull ourselves away but turned out to be a win-win for us. From achingly beautiful, stunning perfection to an absolute party at West Holts 😊

Same here, still the best set I’ve (half) seen. My son dragged me away for the end of the Artic Monkeys. Never mind that he has gone on to see them many more times…

• Like 1

Theres no way they'll play, Geoff is too busy with Beak.

Tonights (admittedly small) set was magical though 🙂 I was way up at the back though, so couldn't see much. I was however surprised that so many people left afterwards and didn't stay for IDLES who fucking rocked.

30 minutes ago, paulshane said:

Theres no way they'll play, Geoff is too busy with Beak.

Tonights (admittedly small) set was magical though 🙂 I was way up at the back though, so couldn't see much. I was however surprised that so many people left afterwards and didn't stay for IDLES who fucking rocked.

I was down the right hand side of the stage. Could have bought you one of the many beers I owe you if I’d known you were there!

They we’re very good. And completely agree it was odd so many left straight afterwards.