Glastonbury Sacrifices

zico martin

With there always being so many frustrating clashes at the festival, the decision making of who to sacrifice is always paramount.  So as we are going to green man festival as well this year I'm hoping it may be a bit easier this time in that I can completely disregard certain acts who I'm more likely to see there (ie. cate le bon, metronomy, bicep, dry cleaning). 

Am I right in my thinking or am I tempting fate meaning I'll end up seeing some acts at neither!?

Also having seen Idles recently, and seeing Fontaines DC in Swansea September I can safely cross them off. Can't I? I guess I could still be attracted by them if my will power is compromised.  

Or am I overthinking all this?

😐

I'm doing the same (if I understand well) going to a fest a couple of weeks before Glasto on the continent,  I'll be able to see Fontaines DC, Jessie Ware and Leon Bridges safely for example.

But I am second guessing myself as I suspect the Glasto gig, audience and atmosphere will be OF COURSE much nicer...  

So not really overthinking it!

(I now underdstand that I had this backwards. You are going to a festival with Glasto acts AFTER and not before)

I'd still put in the equation the atmosphere requirement for certain acts. If there's a feel that the Glasto gig may be extra special.

• Like 1

Yeap I have a whole separate colour on my clash finder for those acts appearing at GreenMan or Latitude, so can discount them and free up space.

There are expeditions to this, where I think seeing them at Glasto will be superior and I’ve got a particular desire to see them. Such as Simz, who is playing at Latitude also, but I had to miss her Brixton show in December due to Covid and was devastated about it.

I then have another colour / category for those I’ve seen in the last 12 months, or have tickets to see at separate shows. Saw Foals last night at Kensington Olympia, and despite being one of my favourite bands, I don’t now feel the need to see them at Glasto. I was also there at their secret set on the Park in 2019. So all good. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, moogster said:

(I now underdstand that I had this backwards. You are going to a festival with Glasto acts AFTER and not before)

I'd still put in the equation the atmosphere requirement for certain acts. If there's a feel that the Glasto gig may be extra special.

Yeah green man is in August. The special Glasto effect is a concern like and I suppose we need to wait until the stage times are out before making any plans. Its always gonna be difficult to intentionally not see your preferred act because you know you'll be seeing them elsewhere mind!

8 minutes ago, moogster said:

If it’s an act I really like then I’d not miss them at Glastonbury irrespective of where else I’d be seeing them and yes, Glasto can bring it’s own magic. A case in point was Radiohead in 2017. I saw them in Manchester a week or so after Glasto and whilst the performance was every bit as good, it didn’t have the same magic.

I was once dumped by a young lady for refusing to make a Glastonbury sacrifice.

I had a ticket for 2009 and she didn’t, but we both had tickets for Blur in Hyde Park the week after. I promised her I’d see Prodigy instead of Blur so we could go together. I reneged on that promise and she rang me smack bang in the middle of Girls & Boys. We didn’t last long after that.

Torally worth it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, henry bear said:

If it’s an act I really like then I’d not miss them at Glastonbury irrespective of where else I’d be seeing them and yes, Glasto can bring it’s own magic.

Yep - I'm seeing Courtney Barnett literally about 5 days after Glastonbury but barring an obscene clash will probably go see her at the festival as well.

34 minutes ago, moogster said:

This is definitely a factor - its making me lean towards Bicep over PSB for instance.

I often try and see people before the festival so that I can remove them from my clashes. Only problem is if they are really good you want to go and see them again. 

I have bought tickets to see some people on their tour because I didn’t get to see them at Glastonbury as well. 

1 hour ago, gfa said:

This is definitely a factor - its making me lean towards Bicep over PSB for instance.

I went to PSB when I would rather be elsewhere last time they headlined other, but they did put on a phenomenal show. 

28 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I'm off to Primavera weekend 2 next month, so I'll be seeing Bicep there so I can check Kendrick out at Glastonbury, even though I think that Bicep West Holts set is going to be a Justice-level special closer 

I've seen Bicep Live at Printworks & Brixton Academy & I'm still struggling on deciding between them & Kendrick. Leaning towards Kendrick, the new album might a deciding factor.

Both will be epic, but why must I choose. 😭

Depends on the band/act really. 

I saw Fontaines recently and loved it, but I feel no need to catch them at Glasto. 

I also saw Bicep last September, but they are in my top 2 to see of the weekend, unfortunately for me the other is Kendrick!

I don’t know about anybody else here.. but the people I always plan too see sometimes doesn’t quite to go plan as I often get caught up in something else when passing by. I always end up regretting it after the festival but at the time I’m a live in the moment kinda person 

The way I deal with clashes is as follows:

have I seen one them in the last 18 months or seeing them soon?

how often do they tour, rather watch a rarely touring artist. 
how special will the set be

but then sometimes it’s what am I in the mood for now, and everything else goes out of the window. 

4 hours ago, zico martin said:

Also having seen Idles recently, and seeing Fontaines DC in Swansea September I can safely cross them off. 

Or am I overthinking all this?

😐

I’d rather sacrifice breathing than seeing Idles at Glastonbury to be honest. It means so much to them, they’ll put a great show on. 2019 on the park stage was just beautiful 

11 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

but then sometimes it’s what am I in the mood for now, and everything else goes out of the window. 

This.

I’ll spend weeks before working out a plan for clashes, justifying why I’m seeing one act over the other… then on the day it all goes out the window and it’s where the mood takes me.