Glasto moments that made you cry

Punksnotdead

6 hours ago, Quark said:

Flippant answer - when I put my back out in my tent. Fuck me that was painful.

Actual answers:

• Watching Hacienda Classical doing You Got The Love on Friday morning 2017. Tired and emotional.
  • Katy Perry doing Firework on Saturday afternoon in 2017.  Tired and emotional again, but this time having to try and hold it together while surrounded by teenage girls having the absolute time of their lives. They didn't need a middle aged blubbering mess bringing them down.
  • Kylie doing All The Lovers on Sunday afternoon in 2019. Tired and...well you get the idea.

Basically I'm a massive softarse.

No, its because we are human. I welled up when she talked about her cancer scare.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I welled up 1st time I went when I came out of my tent in Big Ground in the morning to the Pyramid opening gig, looked at the stage and saw Jah Wobble and the invaders of the Heart with Dolores singing The Sun Does Rise which I'd been listening too all year...

• 2 weeks later...

2016 - LCD Soundsystem - very long week (I was a volunteer and had been on site since the previous saturday) and was exhausted.  It was my first Glastonbury in around 15 years, and had gone without my wife (as she was a teacher) and had really missed having her to share it all with.  Cried twice - once to NY I Love You, and then again as it all ended, just standing on my own in the field as everyone started to leave.  Some big hairy bloke came up to me, asked me if I was OK, gave me a hug and invited me to join him and his mates for the rest of the night.

2019 - Sunday night, walking back to my van, remembering my friend David who I'd closed out the festival with the previous year, dancing joyously (and terribly - he really was an awful dancer, and he just didn't care)  to Roni Size at Arcadia, who died the following year.

2 minutes ago, joeltg said:

Leaving site....every single year. 

its when that sign comes up on the pyramid see you next year ... cant help but feel a little downhearted .... need to work on a better way of doing sunday .... although by that point im absolutely done in 

2013 Chic at West Holts - utter elation in the crowd, one of the best Glastonbury atmospheres I've ever experienced. Everyone singing and dancing their hearts out, then when 'We Are Family' started the happy tears flowed while hugging all my best friends. Surrounding groups in the crowd were all having the same moment, and suddenly everyone was hugging their neighbouring groups and the whole crowd was one joyful family. Magic.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dougal1 said:

2013 Chic at West Holts - utter elation in the crowd, one of the best Glastonbury atmospheres I've ever experienced. Everyone singing and dancing their hearts out, then when 'We Are Family' started the happy tears flowed while hugging all my best friends. Surrounding groups in the crowd were all having the same moment, and suddenly everyone was hugging their neighbouring groups and the whole crowd was one joyful family. Magic.

That was a cracking night indeed

I cry a lot at glasto so I won't even be able to remember all the times but definitely cried  at the following...

2014 elbow my sad captains

2016 pj Harvey

2009 blur - tender

2008 the Verve - the drugs don't work

2005 Coldplay - fix you

I easily get overwhelmed with really happy and sad feelings when listening to music. Usually in just so full of joy I start to cry. 

My wife and kids are used to it, they think it's hilarious. In fact if we are watching a film my boys are always looking to see if I'm crying.

• Upvote 1

One of the more memorable ones was when I was watching THE DAPTONE SUPER SOUL REVUE on the Saturday at West Holts in 2014 when the band announced that Bobby Womack passed away the day before and paid tribute to him.

I'm not the usual one to cry on hearing news like that but what helped was the combination of:

•  we saw him at the same stage the year before
  • the soul act playing (Daptone) had a great soul vibe as Womack did and it seemed very appropriate them announcing it/paying tribute
  • needless to say I had 2 days of drinking already behind me

my wife who reads efestivals really needs to post on this thread and confess all... she's a repeat offender

Edited by markussnoopy

33 minutes ago, markussnoopy said:

One of the more memorable ones was when I was watching THE DAPTONE SUPER SOUL REVUE on the Saturday at West Holts in 2014 when the band announced that Bobby Womack passed away the day before and paid tribute to him.

I'm not the usual one to cry on hearing news like that but what helped was the combination of:

•  we saw him at the same stage the year before
  • the soul act playing (Daptone) had a great soul vibe as Womack did and it seemed very appropriate them announcing it/paying tribute
  • needless to say I had 2 days of drinking already behind me

my wife who reads efestivals really needs to post on this thread and confess all... she's a repeat offender

As the wife in this scenario I'll give mine so!

When I got engaged the fella above at the festival and spent a lot of the rest of the festival just happily shedding a few tears.

In 2019 I cried 3 times in the space of 2 hours or so. First when David Attenborough came out on stage, I just was so happy to see him. When Nick Cave came out on stage with Kylie and then when Kylie herself got upset over cancelling due to breast cancer. I think it was a combo of lots of things happening that would ordinarily affect me but also the incredible heat, I was always going to get overcome by something.

I reckon this year I'll cry when we arrive, I as overwhelmed at Green Man last year so I think the same thing will happen again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dougal1 said:

Oh my Lord! Wow, that must have been mental. I mean, in a very pleasant way, as opposed to you all needing the services of the Emergency Psychiatric Intervention Teams covering your relevant areas of location. 

Do you know what else is mental? It's that I have just asked my wife to confirm that we were at Glastonbury in 2013. She confirmed that we were. She also went on to say that 'It's the one where we didn't see any act - as in at all*. It then flooded back to me that she was mostly right, and a little bit wrong. We had actually briefly made it to the Acoustic Tent, but were pre-occupied with both 'crying' to focus on any music. My wife's son had administered some lsd to us, failing to inform us that it was military grade stuff. We went back and asked him what the fuck he was doing and he said 'Soz mom'! LMFAO. 

* - Some would argue that we squandered those Glastonbury tickets by not seeing an act (although I thought we had also seen Blondie, but my wife said that was the next year). I would argue not. For us it was very much doing the camping base 'bit' of the festival. Apart from going to the local toilets, my wife confirms that we did make it to the chip shop at the bottom of the field as well. Then my memories flooded back. I recalled that we both lay down in front of the chip shop and talked away to each other. And the thing is, that's OK at Glastonbury. And that's why it is the best on the block.

11 hours ago, dougal1 said:

Absolutley agree - this was my first year and I went to see Chic after seeing everyone talking about their set on here. I had the best time - still up there with my favourite gigs of all time. 

• Upvote 1

The last time I managed to go was 2017 as missed out on tickets for 2019. I hit it hard all week and on the Sunday afternoon was feeling pretty tired and worse for wear. 

Decided to have a walk through the kids field as had never seen that part of the festival before as my daughter had never come with us. Walked past a sign that said something like 'Warning! Low flying aeroplanes' and maybe ten little tackers running around with their arms outstretched making 'nneee-ooonnnggg' sounds. My little girl was only 5 at the time and it really made me cry about what a lovely time these kids were having and how much I missed her. 

We still aren't ready to do a full festival with our kids (I also have a little boy who is 4) but our now 10 year old girl is joining us on the Sunday and is thrilled to see Diana Ross! 

Edited by Larraht

Elbow always get me. Mirrorball particularly. Was it 2011 and 2014? Can’t remember but their music always pulls my heartstrings.

And 2013, admitting to my best mate (and myself) that my marriage was over. Then him hugging me so hard and saying all the right words. Fucking love that guy. 💙