Glasto moments that made you cry

Punksnotdead

I'm not a particularly emotional person & rarely cry but there's something about Glasto that can pull at the heart strings like nothing else. Has anyone else got any examples of this? I've got a few:

1. Billy Bragg - Tank Park Salute. After my Dad died, I couldn't listen to this song for years. I think the first time I listened to it in about 5 years was when he played it at Glasto & I lost the plot big time!

2. Flaming Lips - Do you realise. My favourite uncle died the day before Glasto 2010. It wasn't a massive shock & my aunt insisted I should still go & enjoy myself. I was fine until the Lips launched into this. A joyous song about death! I was in floods of tears & a few kind strangers had to comfort me.

3. Editors - Smokers outside the hospital doors. I'm not a massive fan but my daughter wanted to see them & this song got to me. Again, it reminded me of visiting my Dad in hospital & smoking like a chimney whilst I waited for him to die.

Sorry if my examples are a bit morbid - I'm sure some of you can share moments where you've wept tears of joy?

Edited by Punksnotdead
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Was sitting at the Pyramid watching Burt Bacharach with some friends. Some dude rocks up in front of us with this little toy cat that shuffled along with the music, just a fluffy foot high thing.

Then some dad walked past with his toddler daughter, walked straight past it without seeing it.

I've called out to the bloke to come back and show his daughter the cat, he spotted it and came back to show her then she was giggling and copying the dance, she was enthralled with it.

For some reason I just lost it, was sobbing my eyes out, soppy as fuck but everyone I was with got exactly why, no piss taking or anything. It was just a beautiful moment

• Upvote 5

Completely and absolutely lost it when Marr came on with the Killers last time around. My favourite guitarist unexpectedly on stage with a favourite band of mine playing a song from an all time favourite band (and number one choice, if only) smiths song. I don't think I will ever top that. What a moment. I have never felt emotion like that before, not sure I ever will again. 

Edited by Freddyflintstonree
Dodgy grammar

Twice in 2019

When Kylie started crying about how happy she was to finally be there after having to drop out as a headliner in 2005 due to breast cancer. From about 37:40 in the Kylie video.

And then also when Loyle Carner read out a poem to his mother when she was just back stage.

• Upvote 1

Hussain Manawer at Leftfield on Sunday afternoon in 2019. He read a poem he’d written the day his mum unexpectedly died. I think it was the first time he’d performed it. Barely a dry eye in the tent by the time he’d finished. 

One feel good moment and one tragic.

Glastonbury 2008 was our last before we moved to Australia and was very emotional for me.  

Every time I heard this Elbow song for a couple of years after it made me cry as it took me back to this day.

Amy Winehouses performance that year was just so sad too 😞 A world away from the year before!!!

Got back there in 2014 and now back again in 2022 - first one kid free as they're all grown up now 🙂

I'm defo gonna cry when Diana Ross comes out and when Elbow do this one!

Completely caught me off-guard (although it doesn't honestly take much to make me cry). Just the way Chris said "they got taken away" - I was gone. And ever since when I've seen this clip, I just think about how this must have felt for anyone who knew and loved the Viola Beach members and I'm set off again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

The morning that the news hit about Brexit... I was already tired and hungover. The weather was a bit drizzly and overcast and we headed to the Pyramid stage for opening. There was a video played on the screen by Portishead doing this really haunting version of Abba's SOS in memory of Jo Cox. I had a sob at that. Then followed up by Damon Albarn and the Syrian Orchastra. I remember sobbing my heart out... Such an emotional morning. 

Edited by Larraht
  • Upvote 3

Bat for Lashes playing Laura in 2016. It was the Sunday, it’d been a slog of a weekend, and watching that song under the refuge of the John Peel as it pissed it down outside had a few tears trickling down my cheek for sure. After it finished my friend turned to me and admitted he’d done exactly the same thing.

• Upvote 1

2014, on the Sunday cried a few times through this set. Arguably I probably shouldn’t have gone that year. Had a 2 month at home and before he arrived on earth, we used to stick headphones on mummy’s tummy & play their first album. Also left the fest on the Saturday afternoon briefly to go home and have my dog put down, again, I probably shouldn’t have returned afterwards. So added with being pretty emotional anyways and after a heavy few days on the farm, this set me right off.

Edited by yehbutnobut

I cry every festival at least a couple of times but the main times were, so far!

2011 Elbow, Was going through a bad time with my ex wife and their set made me realise that it was time to end.

2013 Rolling Stones set. My dad died in the April and they were his favourite group. He wanted some of his ashes scattered during the set, which we did.

2017 Barry Gibb during Staying Alive Dads choice of song at his funeral.

Looking forward to blarting at farm this year.

Absolutely crying my eyes out at reading these stories! 

I dont know what it is about Glastonbury but whatever it its the most special thing tht exists! 
This year Im going to be an emotional wreck after a crazy three years for myself and making some incredible friends from here Im probably going to cry at everything! 
There are to many songs tht remind me of too many things!! 

Edited by funkychick2007
Spelling
  • Upvote 2

I was camped at the back of the Pyramid stage 2007 when I woke up at 10.30ish on the Friday morning after next to no sleep for 3 days, rough as and barely alive. I dragged my sorry ass on my own to the Other stage in the rain, none of my mates were getting up, for the opening set of the weekend, Bright Eyes.

I managed to get somewhere near the front and just as they walked on wearing white suits I just lost my shit, tears running down my face at this magical moment!   

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

Ray Davies voice trembling with emotion as he plays "Days" just after Pete Quaife's death. It got me at the time and it's just got me again watching the clip.

Omg, that got me too.  It was about 3 weeks after losing my dad, and I sobbed and sobbed.  Strangely, we were standing with a now friend who we'd only just met, and she was also sobbing over the death of her father a few weeks earlier too.