Future headliners

NoBuses

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

You're trying to fix something that isn't broken. 

Why would they book Bad Bunny to headline before they book the likes of Dave, Dua Lipa, Sam Fender or Wolf Alice? They'd even get on the phone to perpetual losers The Foals first.

I think he’s just applying Coachella logic to Glastonbury and thinking it sticks. He’s right that plenty people would buy a ticket to Coachella to see Bad Bunny / BTS - but it’s not the same in the UK.

Another Sky spring to mind. They were on a big upward trajectory that got royally smushed by covid, first album landed with a thud in first lockdown. But they've got a fantastic powerful sound like a female led Radiohead and they're doing second album stuff now, could see them blowing up in a big way. 

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I think he’s just applying Coachella logic to Glastonbury and thinking it sticks. He’s right that plenty people would buy a ticket to Coachella to see Bad Bunny / BTS - but it’s not the same in the UK.

BTS still sold out Wembley stadium twice in a few hours. 

It's hard to gauge bad bunny as they've not played England since their first album though that was only 1 night at the forum in London 

17 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

BTS still sold out Wembley stadium twice in a few hours. 

It's hard to gauge bad bunny as they've not played England since their first album though that was only 1 night at the forum in London 

Yes I’m not saying BTS aren’t massive, I’m just saying that they are less integrated into UK popular music than they are in the states. In the US they collab with US artists all the time and their music is played on mainstream radio. Same with Bad Bunny. I think more people in the UK would be challenged by knowledge of their material than in the US.

Agree that Dua seems the most obvious, and I'm still surprised she's not headlining this year tbh. Would love to know whether she's been offered 2023 instead. 

Also interesting about the Spanish language tunes above. I've just got back from Colombia and Peru and the prevalence of reggaeton there is insane. Even on a boat tour (as an example) it's played from the speakers. It's a level of ubiquity that is far beyond any type of music in the UK. Was really interesting as a neutral observer.

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I think Dua Lipa, Dave, Sam Fender and The 1975 will all have headlined by the end of the decade.

Dua and Dave for 2024 I think. Both taking 2023 off as they will have toured quite heavily in 2022.

Highly doubt the 1975 will ever do it.

16 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

You're wrong.

I just think their time as passed and they’ve not done enough to make them a must have for the festival. They’ve just stalled. I don’t doubt they will release another album their fans will love, but I don’t think it will be more than that. 

The difference between them and Muse is Muse were playing stadiums already by the time people considered their frontman a complete joke. Matt Healy seems to annoy more people than he appeals to.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I just think their time as passed and they’ve not done enough to make them a must have for the festival. They’ve just stalled. I don’t doubt they will release another album their fans will love, but I don’t think it will be more than that. 

I don't think they're a 'must have'. I just think they'd be an easy, sensible booking for the festival. And whether you like them or not they kinda are representative of popular alternative music from the UK in the 2010s. They'd be a similar booking to Kasabian in 2014 imo.

5 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I don't think they're a 'must have'. I just think they'd be an easy, sensible booking for the festival. And whether you like them or not they kinda are representative of popular alternative music from the UK in the 2010s. They'd be a similar booking to Kasabian in 2014 imo.

I look at 2022’s lineup compared to the rest of the festivals announced this year, and it’s pretty clear that Glastonbury is playing in a different league to the other festivals. While Coachella can get headliners just as big they clearly have to pay an awful lot to secure them. My point is that Glastonbury have top connections and I think they will be going for more exciting and challenging bookings going forward. I don’t think safe bookings will be a priority really, under Emily’s leadership I can see a concerted effort to target the “wow” factor rather than “ah that’s alright”.

This year they’ve got Macca’s only European date, and one of Kendrick’s only dates for 2022. Billie was set to be a worldwide festival exclusive before she was asked to do Coachella at the 11th hour. They are getting things other festivals can’t. 

I just think they consider these things in greater detail than who is safe. Safe could mean losing that instant sell out every year.

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I look at 2022’s lineup compared to the rest of the festivals announced this year, and it’s pretty clear that Glastonbury is playing in a different league to the other festivals. While Coachella can get headliners just as big they clearly have to pay an awful lot to secure them. My point is that Glastonbury have top connections and I think they will be going for more exciting and challenging bookings going forward. I don’t think safe bookings will be a priority really, under Emily’s leadership I can see a concerted effort to target the “wow” factor rather than the “ah that’s alright”.

This year they’ve got Macca’s only European date, and one of Kendrick’s only dates for 2022. Billie was set to be a worldwide festival exclusive before she was asked to do Coachella at the 11th hour.

I just think they consider these things in greater detail than who is safe. Safe could mean losing that instant sell out every year.

And I'm sure each year they will continue to reach for 3 mega headliner bookings. But the stars won't always align as they have this year. Inevitably someone they're chasing will fall through or a deal can't be reached etc. That's when a booking like The 1975 will happen.

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

And I'm sure each year they will continue to reach for 3 mega headliner bookings. But the stars won't always align as they have this year. Inevitably someone they're chasing will fall through or a deal can't be reached etc. That's when a booking like The 1975 will happen.

I agree not every year will be a trio of superstars but I’m not sure the 1975 will get the call first.

Also, look what you’ve just inferred - the 1975 can only rely on a weak year to headline? That’s a pretty poor position to be in.

Edited by Matt42

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Dua and Dave for 2024 I think. Both taking 2023 off as they will have toured quite heavily in 2022.

Highly doubt the 1975 will ever do it.

Just don't understand how you can make the claim that one of the biggest bands in the country won't do it, there's a shortage of acts i'd put big money on them doing it eventually

9 minutes ago, NoBuses said:

Just don't understand how you can make the claim that one of the biggest bands in the country won't do it, there's a shortage of acts i'd put big money on them doing it eventually

Because they are far from one of the biggest acts in the country and there are many many many more acts that would be at the front of the queue Glastonbury would go for.

I think the 1975 are more in the basket of a band who will struggle to hold on to their headlining status fairly soon. They wouldn’t headline any festival overseas and I don’t think they'd be able to sell out a stadium or even Hyde Park for that matter. I think their foundations are pretty weak.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Because they are far from one of the biggest acts in the country and there are many many many more acts that would be at the front of the queue Glastonbury would go for.

I think the 1975 are more in the basket of a band who will struggle to hold on to their headlining status fairly soon. They wouldn’t headline any festival overseas and I don’t think they'd be able to sell out a stadium or even Hyde Park for that matter. I think their foundations are pretty weak.

Kendrick couldn't sell out his hyde park show, and i am a big big fan of his. I disagree on the foundations, they have a really dedicated fan base and their songs have blown up on tiktok a lot since they dropped Notes (which is where they lost the momentum, I agree on that)

If Idles continue this streak for the next 10 years I could absolutely see them headlining at some point.  They aren't there yet obviously, but I want it for them.  

I can't see the 1975 doing it.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that momentum is past.  It's the same with The National - fuck me I love the National but I can't see it.  

Nor do I see BTS doing it.  Regardless of how big they are, they're essentially a boy-band.  I can see them having a spot on the pyramid but not the headline slot.  

Looking at UK acts next to do it, it’s useless speaking about anyone else while Dave and Dua Lipa are still there. They are way ahead in the queue compared to anyone else.

I’d feel very confident on both of them being in the frame for 2024 each with new albums. 

Edited by Matt42

Yeah I think Dua Lipa, Sam Fender and Dave are all extremely likely/nailed on unless something weird happens.

I think Little Simz is likely too, and another album on the level of SIMBI will get her there (for various reasons, even if she isn’t as well known as the others). 
I also think Phoebe Bridgers is as likely as Simz and I could see them both doing it.

Another big release for Olivia Rodrigo could have her there.

I think it’s still possible for Wolf Alice and could be possible for Fontaines DC, but perhaps unlikely for both.

Rogue shout, I think if he continues on current trajectory, Fred Again could do it. 

Virtually no chance an act like BTS headlined, and I think the 1975 are shite so hopefully the opportunity has passed them by also.

• Like 1