NYC Downlow - help me get in!

BristolJT

3 hours ago, BristolJT said:

From memory you have to pay to get into the Downlow, however I’m sure the money is donated to charity. Does anyone know how much the entry is? 

I think it's 50p?  

when I was going through my camping stuff a couple weeks ago, I found a green mustache from 2019. There's definitely red, green, black - maybe the other 2 are blue and brown?

23 hours ago, kalifire said:

One for the controversial opinions thread but Downlow is overrated. The entertainment queuing up is better than what’s inside, imo.  

Very much agree with this. It's really time for them to move on with some fresh queer spaces. This will be it's 15th year.

I’ve always avoided the downlow due to it being a queer party, I’m not homophonic i was just always insecure and this will be my first Glasto after coming out so will defiantly be paying it a visit this year. Some of the stories I’ve heard from it are insane 🥳

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, EFC1996 said:

I’ve always avoided the downlow due to it being a queer party, I’m not homophonic i was just always insecure and this will be my first Glasto after coming out so will defiantly be paying it a visit this year. Some of the stories I’ve heard from it are insane 🥳

I’ve been a couple of time and always felt insecure in there. Mainly because I have felt so out of place in there as it’s not my scene, my culture. I’ve felt like an interloper, a tourist at someone else’s party. I never been someone who would go there just to gawp at the outrageous gay guys, but I always worry that’s how others view me.

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I’ve been a couple of time and always felt insecure in there. Mainly because I have felt so out of place in there as it’s not my scene, my culture. I’ve felt like an interloper, a tourist at someone else’s party. I never been someone who would go there just to gawp at the outrageous gay guys, but I always worry that’s how others view me.

Yeah I can see how you’ve felt like that but I’ve been going to these party’s since 2019 and it’s defiantly not someone else’s party, they are parties for everyone and everybody is accepted and I’ve never met anyone who thinks that straight men just go for a gawp. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. For me they are just places to go, enjoy the music, the atmosphere and the culture and just let yourself go to the whole experience 

1 hour ago, EFC1996 said:

I am in a similar situation to you, I wasn't out the last time I managed to get in. Will be so much more fun this year!

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

I’m straight and love the Downlow, go at least once every year.

Usually go in drag one night too (i’m actually pretty good at it - full transformation-not just a bloke in a dress 😂).

And this is why I love Glastonbury 😂

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 3:25 PM, Twiggy553 said:

I’m straight and love the Downlow, go at least once every year.

Usually go in drag one night too (i’m actually pretty good at it - full transformation-not just a bloke in a dress 😂).

Love that! I see a lot of guys do that at glasto especially around block 9. 

Pick the DJ’s yer wanna see in there and make an effort to get there early. I usually go Wednesday and Thursday as it’s easier if yer go early. Then pick if I bother making the effort Friday, Saturday, Sunday post headliner.

The atmosphere for MWA was unreal. No better place to see them. I’ve a few people I would absolutely love to see in there such as Harvey who I’m hoping will this year. 

I think it’s become a victim of its success I first went in 2013 and it was a lot Eddie to get in. 2019 was a lot of effort and waiting at times.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2022 at 2:31 PM, Hugh Jass II said:

I don't think you are seen as that. I don't feel that there. Do you feel the same in say glasto Latino? People do gawp at me because of my poor dancing skills. Give it another go, if you can get over the queues

4 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Pick the DJ’s yer wanna see in there and make an effort to get there early. I usually go Wednesday and Thursday as it’s easier if yer go early. Then pick if I bother making the effort Friday, Saturday, Sunday post headliner.

The atmosphere for MWA was unreal. No better place to see them. I’ve a few people I would absolutely love to see in there such as Harvey who I’m hoping will this year. 

I think it’s become a victim of its success I first went in 2013 and it was a lot Eddie to get in. 2019 was a lot of effort and waiting at times.

It has definitely become a victim of its own success. They either need to expand or have another alternative queer venue.

• Like 2

I tend to end up there during the closing party. I'd recommend getting a trip in on Weds/Thurs and don't plan on seeing a particular set!

The moustache thing is a good shout but tbh it doesn't really help as people started to pass out moustaches to a friend through the fence, so the main queue didn't move and the re-entry queue just built up.

I'm of the (probably unpopular) opinion that the re-entry queue should be axed.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MJP said:

I tend to end up there during the closing party. I'd recommend getting a trip in on Weds/Thurs and don't plan on seeing a particular set!

The moustache thing is a good shout but tbh it doesn't really help as people started to pass out moustaches to a friend through the fence, so the main queue didn't move and the re-entry queue just built up.

I'm of the (probably unpopular) opinion that the re-entry queue should be axed.

I did think the re-entry queue looked no faster than the normal queue last time! Don’t think it was thought through properly. 

• 1 year later...

I can't remember if they open the queue early but even if not you might want to linger in the general area. I think Thursday tends to be the busiest night as there's no competition with major stages in the evening so you'll definitely need to commit at least an hour before I expect?