NYC Downlow - help me get in!

BristolJT

Hello everyone,

I have been to the last 5 Glastonbury's and only managed to enter the Downlow once. Every time me and my friends walk past the queue looks so long, we just move on and find another venue. As a gay man this is very disappointing every year 😞

Can regulars give some advise on how to get in, the best times etc.

Although the Queue looks long does it move quite fast?

Also how does the moustache system work? Can you get a moustache earlier in the day and then jump the queue that night?

Appreciate any advise x

Much easier to get in during headliner times, on fri/sat/sun - any time after 11 it’s rammed. Thursday is pretty much the busiest night I think, if you want to spend a bit of time there when it’s not jam packed then I’d avoid Thursday. As for the moustache system, having an actual tache is always better than the fake ones at the door, and if you start it now you’ll have a smasher by the time 55 odd days go by 😂

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BristolJT said:

Hello everyone,

I have been to the last 5 Glastonbury's and only managed to enter the Downlow once. Every time me and my friends walk past the queue looks so long, we just move on and find another venue. As a gay man this is very disappointing every year 😞

Also how does the moustache system work? Can you get a moustache earlier in the day and then jump the queue that night?

Appreciate any advise x

Any time after 11 will have a queue - to beat the queue you should consider sacrificing main stage headliners but even when you get in before the crowds it can become a bit annoying as so many people just pass through, like it's a tourist attraction. 

As for how fast the long queue moves, it depends how touristy the people in there are!

Also, at this point, we don't know Block9's plans for this year.  I think it's safe to say NYC will be there as it's a bit of an institution now, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's another queer venue in the area as there's definitely room for it. 

Moustaches might not be a thing this year either.  Something to consider before you spend the next weeks growing one! 😁

1 hour ago, Olshansky said:

in 2019 they changed the colors of the (fake) mustache's daily, so thursdays wouldnt work for friday unfortunately.  

I think they allow you to skip the Q if you go back on the same day tho? Can anyone else confirm?

Oh that sounds like fun. What different colours did they use?

It's open on Wednesday too, although they didn't publicise the dj's playing in 2019 if I remember correctly.

As mentioned, there are now different moustaches for each day, and there's a separate queue on the left side entrance for those who already have the moustache to skip the main queue. This queue will still move slowly immediately after headliners, but nowhere near as bad as the moustache-less queue.

I'm all for people exploring all parts of the site, but it *is* a bit annoying that large groups will queue to enter and then leave immediately. It does feel bit like a gay tourism, especially in the dark room where many straights would just go in to snigger at what was happening. 

There's definitely an appetite for more queer spaces at Glastonbury. I'd love to see a Berlin-esque type venue playing predominantly techno.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Easiest way is to go as soon as it opens and stay there. A friend was working the door in 2019 and gave us some of the correct moustaches, even then we had to wait about 45 minutes for 're-entry' about 2am on the Sunday. If you really want to go, make it your priority for whichever evening, go as soon as it opens, and stay there. 

12 hours ago, BristolJT said:

Hello everyone,

Appreciate any advise x

If you really wanna go, then skip the headliners one night and head straight there.

You’ll be able to get in if you do this. 

Still yet to get in after 2 years 😭, queue has always seemed way too long. Sunday 2019 was insane, it looped around the train tracks forEVER.

Considering ditching a Friday or Saturday headliner to get in this year.

I did have some mates who went & said that they got in no problem around 4/5am on Friday (?) So that might be an option, assume the peak times are 23:00 - 3:00

Is the moustache a re-entry thing? Or a golden ticket that they can hand out during the day? I've heard both so not sure.

I will have a stache by summer, but my girlfriend won't (I hope) so that won't really help us I feel.

Also one year saw a loads of people completely skip a queue by showing a certain wristband, no idea what was going on there. Was considering waving my arm & seeing if the bouncer was oblivious 😂 Alas, not enough confidence in the moment.

35 minutes ago, kalifire said:

One for the controversial opinions thread but Downlow is overrated. The entertainment queuing up is better than what’s inside, imo.  

The entertainment is good outside but if you truly like the music that’s not the case about being inside. 

7 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Entire area is too busy now. Needs a revamp. NYC DLow was always half full when it opened first. Easy to get in and good fun. Now it's just a packed sausage fest. 

Tbh, some would argue it’s not enough of a sausage fest now. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

Thursday night was fetish night last festival and you got to skip the queue if you dressed in fetish clothing. 

Hopefully they do something similar this year. 

Where is information about things like this listed in advance? 

6 minutes ago, B_ender said:

Where is information about things like this listed in advance? 

Probably on this thread now!

When anything is posted on social media, or they release any information, it will be on these forums.

And there will be information in the programme.