Food stall recommendations for fussy (child) eaters

Miathedog

Any good suggestions? Our son is 9, and going through a picky phase. I know he will eat the basic kid stuff in the kid's field, but it would be nice to broaden his horizons a bit. He will turn his nose up at anything involving melted cheese (I know!), or spicy things, or veg all cooked up together. (He eats loads of veg, but separately, not cooked in curries for example). Just looking for inspiration, really, from years past. Is there a penne pasta stand anywhere? He does like the rotisserie chicken, that was a big hit last time. I'd like to avoid him having sausage and chips too often, if at all possible, and we don't want to bring campsite cooking stuff this year as we want to travel light ... I think there was a fresh fruit stand in the market near the kid's field last time, if I remember right? That will be good. Anyway, if you remember any gems let me know - can't wait! 😊

We also have a fussy eater! There’s quite a few pasta stands dotted about with your classic tomato, carbonara and pesto. Also plenty of pizza stands, although I tend to avoid them as you can end up waiting around for aaaages after ordering.

There’s definitely a few fruit stands, but I can’t remember where! As for vegetables I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen any plates with separate veg before…

There’s the bakery between the bottom kids and acoustic fields if thats any help? Few savoury options on there. 

I say overall so long as he’s fed you shouldn’t worry too much about being healthy, it’s only 5 days! Nothing wrong with burger and chips 🙂

36 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

We also have a fussy eater! There’s quite a few pasta stands dotted about with your classic tomato, carbonara and pesto. Also plenty of pizza stands, although I tend to avoid them as you can end up waiting around for aaaages after ordering.

There’s definitely a few fruit stands, but I can’t remember where! As for vegetables I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen any plates with separate veg before…

There’s the bakery between the bottom kids and acoustic fields if thats any help? Few savoury options on there. 

I say overall so long as he’s fed you shouldn’t worry too much about being healthy, it’s only 5 days! Nothing wrong with burger and chips 🙂

Thanks for confirming there’s pasta about, that will be a big help. Pizza is a no go because of the melted cheese 🤦‍♀️ I remember lots of crepes come to think of it, he will like those. Yes, I think you’re right - we can top him up with apples and carrots on the go, and then relax about the inevitable burgers.

Little bugger also has a terrible habit of not being hungry when the actual dinner is in front of him, then announcing starvation half an hour later… this will be the most annoying bit, I imagine! 😂 

There is a stand that does fishfingers and waffles if he will eat basics like that. Plenty of places that do a good breakfast. I can’t remember if they were there last time but there have definitely been places that do soup. For the duration of the festival I wouldn’t worry too much about it. 

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

There is a stand that does fishfingers and waffles if he will eat basics like that. Plenty of places that do a good breakfast. I can’t remember if they were there last time but there have definitely been places that do soup. For the duration of the festival I wouldn’t worry too much about it. 

Fish gingers and waffles would definitely be a hit! We will look out for that thanks 

16 hours ago, Miathedog said:

Fish gingers and waffles would definitely be a hit! We will look out for that thanks 

The fish finger sandwich place is great, our kids love it. They’re also lovely people who run it. They’re in the circus field on the path that runs by the big top. There are benches and an open space there to eat. Also, hippy chippy is on the cross roads between circus, Williams green and left field. They do great chips!

There's a place that does penne with different sauces in the row along from the bottom exit of kidzfield towards Williams Green, they even did a kids portion for a bit less and was still really generous

1 hour ago, wosman said:

There's a place that does penne with different sauces in the row along from the bottom exit of kidzfield towards Williams Green, they even did a kids portion for a bit less and was still really generous

Sounds perfect! Thanks 😊 

19 hours ago, wosman said:

Sounds perfect for me and I'm 40! 😄 

The afritter Shack is a good option for getting vegetables into kids - they’re delicious and you wouldn’t necessarily know you were eating vegetables! On the walk ways from the Pyramid to Yeoman’s Bridge, on the north side of the walkway. 

On 5/4/2022 at 6:33 AM, blutarsky said:

The afritter Shack is a good option for getting vegetables into kids - they’re delicious and you wouldn’t necessarily know you were eating vegetables! On the walk ways from the Pyramid to Yeoman’s Bridge, on the north side of the walkway. 

Will look out for it, sounds tasty!

Just on the health point, you could feed him sausage and chips 3 times a day and he'd probably burn as many calories! I'd not worry too much, just keep some healthy stuff in your bag.

There's food everywhere, there will be things he likes 100%. Perhaps it's an idea to let him go around and pick a stand for food when he sees one he likes? Don't know your kid but i know some kids will be more likely to eat something if they've chosen it even if it's something they think they don't like. The stands often look cool so he'll probably be enticed by that if he is like most kids 😂

18 hours ago, hjwright said:

Just on the health point, you could feed him sausage and chips 3 times a day and he'd probably burn as many calories! I'd not worry too much, just keep some healthy stuff in your bag.

There's food everywhere, there will be things he likes 100%. Perhaps it's an idea to let him go around and pick a stand for food when he sees one he likes? Don't know your kid but i know some kids will be more likely to eat something if they've chosen it even if it's something they think they don't like. The stands often look cool so he'll probably be enticed by that if he is like most kids 😂

Yeah I’m sure he will find some stuff he likes. And hopefully will finish some of it 😆 If all else fails, there will be chips and churros! 

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2022 at 2:15 PM, Kim Wrong-Un said:

Children's World Cafe in the Cabaret field does typical child friendly staples such as sausage or fish fingers and chips, beans on toast.

Can't remember how extensive the menu is beyond that sort of thing.

Any combo of sausage, egg, chips, bacon, beans and mushrooms can be yours. On a baguette if you so choose, and cheese is available. Some cold fillings in baguettes too! 

On 4/30/2022 at 3:13 PM, ticketboy69 said:

The fish finger sandwich place is great, our kids love it. They’re also lovely people who run it. They’re in the circus field on the path that runs by the big top. There are benches and an open space there to eat. Also, hippy chippy is on the cross roads between circus, Williams green and left field. They do great chips!

brilliant stall - fishfinger sandwiches there were lovely 🙂

On 5/15/2022 at 5:47 PM, Junglist1981 said:

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned, there’s now a proper co-op on site with all sorts in it. Might be worth sticking your head in there for some quality snacks at least. They definitely have lots of fruit 👍

Good to know thanks!