First timer at glasto.

LaurenSyd

Lightweight walking boots, breathable & waterproof ones. You'll walk a lot, especially as it's your first, trainers/wellies don't support your feet/ankles well enough and welly slap is real! Add gaiters if it get really rough. 

A good sunhat, tarphat do some great widebrim ones. 

But most things you can buy one site should you forget anything. 

Have a blast 

On 4/28/2022 at 10:40 PM, LaurenSyd said:

Hi, this is my first time at Glastonbury, I’ve done reading festival in a camper and will be doing the same for Glastonbury. But I know Glastonbury festival is much bigger so was just wondering if you guys who’ve been before have any essentials you’d recommend bringing? Also Any tips and things you’d recommend us to see?

Thank you much appreciated if anybody replies!

Don't spend all your time together in your group - go off on your own, have a wander and get lost, you'll stumble across something amazing & unexpected.

Don't spend al your time at the main stages and see at least one thing in the Theatre & Circus area.

Talk to random strangers, everybody is really friendly.

Come to the eFest meet

You will have a great time.

At night I always carry a head torch and a pack of baby wipes (or rather the smaller biodegradable ones) in my bumbag - means you can give the toilet a quick clean before you park your backside down on the seat..

Long drops are usually nicer than portaloos, oh and always go to the furthest toilet in the line- less people will have used it.

Edited by Twiggy553

12 hours ago, spg said:

Lightweight walking boots, breathable & waterproof ones. You'll walk a lot, especially as it's your first, trainers/wellies don't support your feet/ankles well enough and welly slap is real! Add gaiters if it get really rough. 

Have a blast 

Thank you for the tips! i will have to have a look into walking boots as I don’t own anything! Appreciate it

7 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

Don't spend all your time together in your group - go off on your own, have a wander and get lost, you'll stumble across something amazing & unexpected.

Don't spend al your time at the main stages and see at least one thing in the Theatre & Circus area.

Talk to random strangers, everybody is really friendly.

Come to the eFest meet

You will have a great time.

That’s good to hear, I have a mixed music taste then my friend at times so it’s good to know things would be ok if we split away and went around solo! I’ve seen a lot of people mention theatre and circus area so I’m excited for that! Thanks for the guidance ☺️

5 hours ago, Twiggy553 said:

At night I always carry a head torch and a pack of baby wipes (or rather the smaller biodegradable ones) in my bumbag - means you can give the toilet a quick clean before you park your backside down on the seat..

Long drops are usually nicer than portaloos, oh and always go to the furthest toilet in the line- less people will have used it.

Thank you for the tips! All noted! Reminded me to find my torch and get that on the list☺️

7 hours ago, LaurenSyd said:

That’s good to hear, I have a mixed music taste then my friend at times so it’s good to know things would be ok if we split away and went around solo! I’ve seen a lot of people mention theatre and circus area so I’m excited for that! Thanks for the guidance ☺️

Arrange solid, specific meeting places as it can be really difficult to spot someone!  Over time we tend to use the same spots so its not too bad, but meeting "by the cider bus" is really tricky! 

12 hours ago, Twiggy553 said:

But compost toilets are the best... especially early in the morning!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bexj said:

Arrange solid, specific meeting places as it can be really difficult to spot someone!  Over time we tend to use the same spots so its not too bad, but meeting "by the cider bus" is really tricky! 

I find meeting by food outlets is good as a lot of them have quite unique names. Just don’t say by a flag or by ice cream trucks. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

For meeting - the What3Words app works really well. Can easily find people even in the middle of the Pyramid Crowd - although if you do use it, don't be the person who's walking around engrossed in their phone screen and bumping into everyone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You see this tip more at Glastonbury than I have at other festivals,  but it really helps if you can get your whole team on board... we normally have a group of 10 or 15..when walking in crowd or convoy,  we have our own hand signal that the person leading way holds up high above their head walking...if a large line, the person in middle normally repeats.. if you get separated in crowd, you instantly stand still and do our signal, then the team when looking back can note a separation... it actually really useful in the crowd! We seen other versions such as the horns 🤘, the birdy chat 🤏, the money finger rub...etc... ours an index finger swil spin 👆" ... invent your own if part of a team... 😁 it was fun to spot others doing same idea across the years... 

If you ever take kids, I good idea I sore, was to write in sharpie permanent marker up.arm "if found lost please ring this number" ... an excellent idea...

Send yourself a wattsapp GPS pin for xar location parked in car park! A life saver to find car again!  I also pin the tent on a GPS to self... 

Some crackers there lol... hope you have an amazing time 

On 4/29/2022 at 12:46 PM, balti-pie said:

take more socks than you think you'll need, cos a fresh clean pair of socks on a pair of knackered feet is surprisingly blissful! You'll be walking lots. 50k steps a day is quite normal 👍 

Convo on the weekend as I was drafting my first packing list.

"20 pairs of socks? Is that for both of us?"
"No"

🤣

Edited by irnkrtn
  • Upvote 1

On 4/29/2022 at 4:09 PM, LaurenSyd said:

Noted! Thank you so much! I thought I took enough socks at reading turned out it wasn’t enough! 🤣 

Regarding shoes I know everybody has their own preferences but what would you recommend? I was just going to bring a few different trainers but I see so many people people say walking boots/wellies boot👀

Are you in your camper? If so, take a range of options. I'll be taking my higher walking boots for if its really bad on the ground, my walking shoes for general, some optimistic walking sandals and a very old tatty pair of trainers. My comfy flip flops for the morning when I'm making breakfast back at camp. 

My number on tip for in the van - I'll be packing my golden bag (it wont be golden - it will be a Dudley Zoo drawstring bag which might be even better). An entirely clean pair of clothes, including my super comfy trainers. When I get off site Monday, I'll pull into a services, have a quick van wash and get changed into them. Sheer luxury. 

19 hours ago, Mivy said:

You see this tip more at Glastonbury than I have at other festivals,  but it really helps if you can get your whole team on board... we normally have a group of 10 or 15..when walking in crowd or convoy,  we have our own hand signal that the person leading way holds up high above their head walking...if a large line, the person in middle normally repeats.. if you get separated in crowd, you instantly stand still and do our signal, then the team when looking back can note a separation... it actually really useful in the crowd! We seen other versions such as the horns 🤘, the birdy chat 🤏, the money finger rub...etc... ours an index finger swil spin 👆" ... invent your own if part of a team... 😁 it was fun to spot others doing same idea across the years... 

If you ever take kids, I good idea I sore, was to write in sharpie permanent marker up.arm "if found lost please ring this number" ... an excellent idea...

Send yourself a wattsapp GPS pin for xar location parked in car park! A life saver to find car again!  I also pin the tent on a GPS to self... 

This is such a good idea, never would have thought of that!
Thank you so much!

15 hours ago, irnkrtn said:

Are you in your camper? If so, take a range of options. I'll be taking my higher walking boots for if its really bad on the ground, my walking shoes for general, some optimistic walking sandals and a very old tatty pair of trainers. My comfy flip flops for the morning when I'm making breakfast back at camp. 

My number on tip for in the van - I'll be packing my golden bag (it wont be golden - it will be a Dudley Zoo drawstring bag which might be even better). An entirely clean pair of clothes, including my super comfy trainers. When I get off site Monday, I'll pull into a services, have a quick van wash and get changed into them. Sheer luxury. 

Yes we are in a camper, I’ll have to check out some walking boots and get use to them ready for the fields🤣

I’m so glad I posted for tips, I don’t know why we never thought of this!  such a good idea! Adding this to my list of things to sort! Thank you so much

20 hours ago, Mivy said:

He he, someone's seen a lot of those combat films  

• Upvote 1

On 5/1/2022 at 11:30 AM, spg said:

Have a blast 

I had a similar issue with "welly slap" and a noise at the top of the boots, it's just so annoying !! The best option is to turn down the tops of the wellies. I did it after looking into the issue in detail and it worked out fine for me. It's rare nowadays and you may not Like it.. but it's the simplist way out !!

Edited by Compo
mistake in writing my reply

On 5/2/2022 at 5:57 PM, Mivy said:

Seeing a convoy like this always makes me smile..reminds me of when I was on holiday, sat outside a cafe watching the sightseeing tour guides all march past with different hand gestures held up, each one shortly followed by a scurry of camera-weilding tourists 🙂

• Upvote 1

Really hope you enjoy your first Glastonbury - it really is a fantasic place.

As others have said being in a camper gives you more options to bring extra stuff than if you are camping. Weather conditions can really change the site and over the course of the 5 days (or occasionally over the space of a day) you can go from lovely grass fields, to knee deep mud and back to hard solid surfaces due to changes in the weather, and it really helps to have different footwear for different conditions. A few warm items of clothing like a woolie hat, fleece or light scarf are good too - even on warm days the nights can get chilly especially if you are exploring the late night/early morning charms of the festival. Leave these in the lock ups in the morning and you can collect them if needed later in the evening

I'd just suggest that you are aware in advance that the site is massive and can be a little daunting at first, even if you have been to other large festivals. On the first day (presumably the Wednesday) try and get familiar with a few areas near the gate you go through, to give you some familiar landmarks to find your way around. This year will be my 10th and despite liking the smaller off the beaten track stages I still find areas each year I've not been before. Don't try and fit too much in, let the experiences find you. 

Be great to hear your thoughts after the festival to see what you found 

11 hours ago, dogeggs said:

Seeing a convoy like this always makes me smile..reminds me of when I was on holiday, sat outside a cafe watching the sightseeing tour guides all march past with different hand gestures held up, each one shortly followed by a scurry of camera-weilding tourists 🙂

We always laugh or smile spoting the others...when you watching for it it's supising how many times you see the same group in crowd across the 5 days...