First timer at glasto.

LaurenSyd

Hi, this is my first time at Glastonbury, I’ve done reading festival in a camper and will be doing the same for Glastonbury. But I know Glastonbury festival is much bigger so was just wondering if you guys who’ve been before have any essentials you’d recommend bringing? Also Any tips and things you’d recommend us to see?

Thank you much appreciated if anybody replies!

Tort’s FAQ that @waynewdk shared is for sure the best Glastonbury reference 🙂

My #1 tip would be not to overplan, leave plenty of space in your time at the festival to wander around, follow your nose & embrace the wonderful variety of it all. 

Have a wonderful time - always a bit envious of you lucky folk experiencing the festival for the first time! 

our group of 4 has done 8 Glastonbury's now. We have a first timer with us this year and I am so pleased, as the last one we sort of went through the motions and did what we knew.

This time we are almost going to explore with new eyes through him.. 

Try and plan not to go back to you motor home during the day. Take a bag (a good small rucksack) with you for all you need at the start of the day, even use the lock ups if you don't want to carry it with you all day.

Going back to you camp (regardless of which CV field you are in) is a complete faff and a waste of value Glasto time!

4 hours ago, jimmillen said:

Tort’s FAQ that @waynewdk shared is for sure the best Glastonbury reference 🙂

My #1 tip would be not to overplan, leave plenty of space in your time at the festival to wander around, follow your nose & embrace the wonderful variety of it all. 

Have a wonderful time - always a bit envious of you lucky folk experiencing the festival for the first time! 

Thank you so much. I’m excited to experience it after hearing so much about it. 
we have a few acts we want to see but the rest just going to go with each day and not worry too much! 

thanks again

3 hours ago, redrobrob said:

our group of 4 has done 8 Glastonbury's now. We have a first timer with us this year and I am so pleased, as the last one we sort of went through the motions and did what we knew.

This time we are almost going to explore with new eyes through him.. 

8 Glastonbury’s, wow! I’m excited to experience it all! I hope you all have an incredible time!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RyanForThewin said:

Try and plan not to go back to you motor home during the day. Take a bag (a good small rucksack) with you for all you need at the start of the day, even use the lock ups if you don't want to carry it with you all day.

Going back to you camp (regardless of which CV field you are in) is a complete faff and a waste of value Glasto time!

The plan is to use lock ups and only go back at the end of the day anyways. So just need to find a little backpack, thank you☺️

3 hours ago, balti-pie said:

take more socks than you think you'll need, cos a fresh clean pair of socks on a pair of knackered feet is surprisingly blissful! You'll be walking lots. 50k steps a day is quite normal 👍 

Noted! Thank you so much! I thought I took enough socks at reading turned out it wasn’t enough! 🤣 

Regarding shoes I know everybody has their own preferences but what would you recommend? I was just going to bring a few different trainers but I see so many people people say walking boots/wellies boot👀

2 hours ago, LaurenSyd said:

Regarding shoes I know everybody has their own preferences but what would you recommend? I was just going to bring a few different trainers but I see so many people people say walking boots/wellies boot👀

I normally leave the question of what shoes to actually take until you can see the forecast and know the level of mud on site.  Hot Glasto = Birks and trainer.  Muddy Glasto = wellies and maybe lighter options if weather is likely to improve.  Nothing worse than not having wellies when you need them, or being stuck in wellies or shoes in a heatwave.

Considering how much you’ll doubtlessly walk, for foot comfort and blister reasons, I’d bring two pairs so you can alternate them on days - a decent pair of hiking boots and some fairly robust trainers, in the knowledge that it’s a farm and accordingly it isn’t flat. Converses are great to drive in, and to mooch around in city centres, but they’re shite if you’re trying to climb the hill to the Glastonbury letters . . . 

And personally I have a pair of flip flops for hanging around in the tent and to the loos for a nighttime wee 🤣 my foot comfort is very important! 

12 minutes ago, Glast0baby said:

I normally leave the question of what shoes to actually take until you can see the forecast and know the level of mud on site.  Hot Glasto = Birks and trainer.  Muddy Glasto = wellies and maybe lighter options if weather is likely to improve.  Nothing worse than not having wellies when you need them, or being stuck in wellies or shoes in a heatwave.

That’s so true! Thank you so much ☺️

3 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Considering how much you’ll doubtlessly walk, for foot comfort and blister reasons, I’d bring two pairs so you can alternate them on days - a decent pair of hiking boots and some fairly robust trainers, in the knowledge that it’s a farm and accordingly it isn’t flat. Converses are great to drive in, and to mooch around in city centres, but they’re shite if you’re trying to climb the hill to the Glastonbury letters . . . 

And personally I have a pair of flip flops for hanging around in the tent and to the loos for a nighttime wee 🤣 my foot comfort is very important! 

That’s all very good points! Will keep an eye on the forecast and plan from there. Thank you so much

Re the lockups, I suggest you book things in separately or in groups (eg cans in 4s and not the whole tray, 1 pair of shoes etc.), as when you present your ticket you'll get the whole stuff back not just part of it. I also photograph the ticket in case I lose it. They also appreciate money donations to support their group, but the lockups themselves are free. Gate C is CND run. 

2 hours ago, carlosj said:

Re the lockups, I suggest you book things in separately or in groups (eg cans in 4s and not the whole tray, 1 pair of shoes etc.), as when you present your ticket you'll get the whole stuff back not just part of it. I also photograph the ticket in case I lose it. They also appreciate money donations to support their group, but the lockups themselves are free. Gate C is CND run. 

Thank you so much! I’ll keep that all in mind, great help☺️

23 hours ago, LaurenSyd said:

Noted! Thank you so much! I thought I took enough socks at reading turned out it wasn’t enough! 🤣 

I always wear trainers or wellies, then at tent , flip flops so my feet can breath