Should Nina Kraviz have been booked for Arcadia?

blutarsky

1 minute ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

How much would it cost to buy thirty or so giant Ukrainian flags? We could distribute them throughout the crowd so when she looks down she sees a sea of yellow and blue. If we could make sure there was a friendly face up there to take a couple of snaps it would get a heap of publicity.  
I’d be happy to put £100 behind it. 

She ain’t on the lineup any longer.

So I know this has undoubtedly been covered already, but without trawling through loads of previous posts, has she explicitly shown support for Putin/the war, or has she just refused to speak out against it? Two very different situations which make Glastonbury’s keeping her on the lineup differ quite significantly. 

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

So I know this has undoubtedly been covered already, but without trawling through loads of previous posts, has she explicitly shown support for Putin/the war, or has she just refused to speak out against it? Two very different situations which make Glastonbury’s keeping her on the lineup differ quite significantly. 

I've just been doing some research and from what I can tell people are upset that she hasn't used her platform to speak out against the war. Seems to be some history with Nastia who has called her out on it. I don't see any evidence that she actively supports the war in Ukraine.

There does seem to be an expectation on famous people these days to use their platforms to support whatever the flavour of the day is, and if they don't they are somehow supporting said flavour.

Edited by Dave_c
  • Upvote 4

Just now, Dave_c said:

I've just been doing some research and from what I can tell people are upset that she hasn't used her platform to speak out against the war. Seems to be some history with Nastia who has called her out on it. I don't see any evidence that she actively supports the war in Ukraine.

Yeah I thought this might be the case, in which case I think Glastonbury have every right to keep her in her slot and let the crowd decide if they want to be there and support her or not (or, y’know, turn up with a bunch of Ukrainian flags…) If she decides to play the Russian National Anthem during her set, maybe then the outrage can begin, but I welcome anybody with a differing opinion/other evidence on why she should definitely be dropped. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I thought this might be the case, in which case I think Glastonbury have every right to keep her in her slot and let the crowd decide if they want to be there and support her or not (or, y’know, turn up with a bunch of Ukrainian flags…) If she decides to play the Russian National Anthem during her set, maybe then the outrage can begin, but I welcome anybody with a differing opinion/other evidence on why she should definitely be dropped. 

Agreed, there may be other information out there that I'm not aware of.

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

There is evidence of her being Pro-Putin and this was after the last time Russia invaded Ukraine. I would suggest reading the thread. It seems that Nastia is aware of her political opinions hence her being so outspoken on it and even other Russian DJ’s having a go at her. She tends to keep quiet about her political opinions but only because her views would be at odds with most. A bit like you wouldn’t see many British musicians saying you know what I think Boris is a great leader! 

It’s not a case of people having a go because she’s Russian. If Pussy Riot were performing this year I’d turn up to cheer them on. It’s because she is known for being Pro-Putin and the only statements she’s made has been weak assed shit to save her own career! 

• Upvote 2

Just now, gigpusher said:

There is evidence of her being Pro-Putin and this was after the last time Russia invaded Ukraine. I would suggest reading the thread. It seems that Nastia is aware of her political opinions hence her being so outspoken on it and even other Russian DJ’s having a go at her. She tends to keep quiet about her political opinions but only because her views would be at odds with most. A bit like you wouldn’t see many British musicians saying you know what I think Boris is a great leader! 

It’s not a case of people having a go because she’s Russian. If Pussy Riot were performing this year I’d turn up to cheer them on. It’s because she is known for being Pro-Putin and the only statements she’s made has been weak assed shit to save her own career! 

Yeah maybe I need to read a bit deeper and I thought there must be more to it what with so many people calling for her being dropped from the lineup. It’s such a strange one because I’m usually so of the opinion of ‘separate the art from the artist’, but this is so current that that it seems wrong to hold such an opinion.

Considering they’ve kept her on there thus far I can’t see them dropping her, so interesting to see what happens from here and what the general reception to her set is.

I rarely post on here but this I feel particularly strongly about.

How come we are even debating this at all? Back in February in light of the events in Ukraine we have made a decision to exclude Russia and all of its imports (as much as possible and viable at the time) from benefiting from participation in Western world. This is a conscious effort, as a part of bigger sanctions package, to put pressure on Russian society to stand up to their deranged leaders. Nothing has changed, we are still on that path. I don't remember anyone questioning this when RF got kicked out of Olympics, the World Cup or even Eurovision. How is Glastonbury different?

For me this is an obvious lapse of judgment form the festival or possibly ignorance - I don't know. Unless an artist is prepared to speak up against the atrocities of this war, they should not be welcomed here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sneakysabi said:

How come we are even debating this at all? Back in February in light of the events in Ukraine we have made a decision to exclude Russia and all of its imports (as much as possible and viable at the time) from benefiting from participation in Western world. This is a conscious effort, as a part of bigger sanctions package, to put pressure on Russian society to stand up to their deranged leaders. Nothing has changed, we are still on that path. I don't remember anyone questioning this when RF got kicked out of Olympics, the World Cup or even Eurovision. How is Glastonbury different?

For me this is an obvious lapse of judgment form the festival or possibly ignorance - I don't know. Unless an artist is prepared to speak up against the atrocities of this war, they should not be welcomed here. 

Perfectly put.  This is now a full on embarrassment. 

7 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah maybe I need to read a bit deeper and I thought there must be more to it what with so many people calling for her being dropped from the lineup. It’s such a strange one because I’m usually so of the opinion of ‘separate the art from the artist’, but this is so current that that it seems wrong to hold such an opinion.

Considering they’ve kept her on there thus far I can’t see them dropping her, so interesting to see what happens from here and what the general reception to her set is.

I’m all for innocent until proven guilty so I’ve tried to work out why she’s getting such a hard time but I don’t get it.

This Time article is quite good

https://time.com/6179208/nina-kraviz-backlash-russia-ukraine/

But that seems to suggest this all stems from a single photo of her with a cardboard cutout of Putin at Cochella, which wasn’t hers and she wasn’t the only one who posted a photo of. And then she hasn’t spoken out actively against Russia since then.

Her Instagram post here is worth reading (4 pages, so too much to paste) for why she might not have done that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdqrpooNnh-/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Considering she is from a country where you can vanish if you speak out against the leader, isn’t she being treated a bit harshly? It seems at most she’s been too neutral, rather than pro-Putin, which I don’t think is enough to write her off completely. 

7 hours ago, sneakysabi said:

There were still a large amount of athletes from Russia that participated at the Olympics despite that "ban" too.  The entire Russian Olympic Committee thing was a farce and you still saw the same things that got Russia banned in the first place. So nothing changed at all. Thats essentially what you can say Glasto is doing here with Nina.

Its a bigger slap in the face because they waited an extra week to announce the lineup because of the war starting and were trying to be sensitive about the situation and such. Yet here we are. Could be why they didnt place her on the initial schedule drop and then added her name back in 24 hours later? But unless enough people cause enough of a fuss theyre going to leave it be. Or as mentioned, just use it as a chance to make it a pro Ukranian moment when she is performing. 

edit: and about the Putin Coachella cut out thing. Those were floating around all weekend. I might have to dig around some photos to find a Putin face but I swear I got some photos of those. 

Edited by Suprefan

1 hour ago, t0paz said:

Her Instagram post here is worth reading (4 pages, so too much to paste) for why she might not have done that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdqrpooNnh-/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Fuck her.

‘what my countries relations have become’ is straight out of Putin’s ‘special miliary operation’ book of bullshit. 

She believes in Motherland Russia at any cost as much as he does.

12 minutes ago, stuie said:

Fuck her.

‘what my countries relations have become’ is straight out of Putin’s ‘special miliary operation’ book of bullshit. 

She believes in Motherland Russia at any cost as much as he does.

Yes to be honest her statement on Instagram absolutely nailed why she shouldn't be playing anywhere for me. She makes it sound like something that happened to Russia rather than the other way around. I also think on this matter we should be taking the lead from Ukrainians and other Russians who know her better. They are all outraged because they do know her views. I don't have the details because it was an instagram story but Nastia referenced talking to her after the last Russian invasion of Ukraine and knowing her views. 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Yes to be honest her statement on Instagram absolutely nailed why she shouldn't be playing anywhere for me. She makes it sound like something that happened to Russia rather than the other way around. I also think on this matter we should be taking the lead from Ukrainians and other Russians who know her better. They are all outraged because they do know her views. I don't have the details because it was an instagram story but Nastia referenced talking to her after the last Russian invasion of Ukraine and knowing her views. 

And Glasto have her programmed to play the same day as Nastia! 😔

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

And Glasto have her programmed to play the same day as Nastia! 😔

This is so far beyond not reading the room it is unbelievable. I was half expecting some sort of dramatic statement from the Festival that put this to bed with a wholly Ukraine-supportive position. Now if she does end up not playing it will look like a forced climb down. They could not have got this any more wrong. 

1 minute ago, Rex2 said:

I wonder how many of us here if we were in a position of power would publicly speak out against a leader that has a track record of offing people who do? 

I wonder how many of us would be publicly supporting that same leader in the first place? Millions of Russians get by just not talking about him ever. If she had never been supportive nobody would be expecting her to condemn him. He hasn't suddenly started being horrible he's been like this for decades. How many musicians post memes of Boris Johnson that show him in a positive light? 

There are Russians DJ's that have spoken out. How about at this moment in time we support those instead??