Theatre and circus

Crazyfool01

1 hour ago, John the Moth said:

Ooh Marcus du Sautoy. I’ll try to get there for that. His tv shows and books are truly inspiring.

Anyone else in for some high level mathematics…?

Anyone…?

maths ☺️

He's on every year yet in 15 festivals I've not managed to see him despite always intending to. I have his new book, must get to it soon!

10 hours ago, manc said:

If it's any consolation, I was walking through The Park late night one year (it may well have been 2014) and hit a particularly boggy patch of ground.

I managed to get through it unscathed but the poor sod next to me fell in the thick mud. I grabbed his hand and helped him...and as he looked up at me I realised it was Josh Widdicombe.

karma. 🙂 

14 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Paul Currie is a staple, but for good reason. Nothing sorts out your Glasto Sunday better than flying a luckdragon!

THIS

Came across him by accident in 2019. One joke (no spoilers as I hope he keeps doing Panda Hands) set my mate and I off big time. So good. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

What sort of time are the big comedians on? Like Josh, Adam, Nish?

There are usually some fairly big names in the afternoon. I've seen Josh W, Stewart Lee, Robin Ince, Andy Parsons in the afternoon before (and the Impro All-stars are always on on the afternoon on Fri and Sat). I guess it suits them not to clash with the acts they want to see!

1 hour ago, Perks said:

love this area, spend a lot of time mooching round here, nice to chill in the cabaret and watch some comedy, always make time for it. great line up too

One of my best memory's of Glastonbury is having a 'special cake' and spending the day in the cabaret fields, high times 😁

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Bucketsquad said:

One of my best memory's of Glastonbury is having a 'special cake' and spending the day in the cabaret fields, high times 😁

haha, yep, been there too

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Lots of the usual suspects with some interesting names in there (Dom Joly!) 

Cirque du Vulgar are an interesting choice, given the mostly family-friendly ethos of the field. I mean I know sex appeal / titillation is part of many cabaret circus acts including those that have played Glasto like Soiree, but it's an interesting choice to go with a group that make that their selling point. 

Nothing new. Miss Tarw told her reception teacher the best thing she saw was “Talulah the greatest Canadian whore” in 2004. 

She was good and the teacher thought it was hilarious 

15 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Lots of the usual suspects with some interesting names in there (Dom Joly!) 

Cirque du Vulgar are an interesting choice, given the mostly family-friendly ethos of the field. I mean I know sex appeal / titillation is part of many cabaret circus acts including those that have played Glasto like Soiree, but it's an interesting choice to go with a group that make that their selling point. 

In 2019 I saw a woman play a recorder with her, for want of a better word, fanny in the Caberet Tent.

14 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

In 2019 I saw a woman play a recorder with her, for want of a better word, fanny in the Caberet Tent.

A truly contemporary performing art. 

Okay - I went through and Googled the acts I didn't know. It's really not a great poster as they're not even grouped by performance type and many of the names aren't obvious. I mean some are but I've included them for completeness anyway, with some commentary:

Vou Fiji Dance Theatre are a Fijian dance group
Umami Dance Theatre are a comedy dance duo
The Show Globe is a walkabout act in a massive snow globe
RSVP Bhangra are a Bhangra group
Neil Balfour is a classical baritone singer
Marcus Du Sautoy is a mathematician
Marcel Lucont is a is a comedian who pretends to be a posh Frenchman and does songs
Bootworks Theatre do a virtual jukebox act with lip-syncing
Jyoti Supernatural is a magician/juggler
Adam Hills, Nish Kumar, Kerry Godliman, John Hegley are all comics
Ed Petrie is a kids TV presenter but appears to do stand-up now? 
Briefs: Bite Club is a circus variety show
Siegfried and Joy are magicians - they wear tiger skin outfits so clearly they're refencing Siegfried and Roy but unsure if they're meant to be a parody?
Jonathan Pie is a viral internet person/comic - I know he has name recognition but I do wish they would just book an actual comic at the top of their game to do a full show instead - Joe Lycett or James Acaster or someone
West End Kids are exactly what it says on the tin
Twisted Cabaret is Frank Olivier's and Paul Nathan's circus cabaret group - you may have seen either of them doing juggling acts at previous festivals
Tony Walsh is a poet
Tianna and Lea Two Times The Travels is unknown to Google. Why would you put them on the poster, especially when this is clearly not even a fraction of the entire Cabaret/Astrolabe/Poetry&Words/Circus/Walkabout lineup. Why include something that gives people no information at all?!
The Black Eagles are an acrobatic dance group
Steve Frost Improv Allstars - comedy improv, often includes Phil Jupitus. Interestingly this is just off the back of Paul Merton's tour with Suki Webster, Mike McShane, Lee Simpson, Richard Vranch and Kirsty Newton - I know Richard and Suki have done the Glastonbury show in the past so wonder if we might see a slightly different line-up. They are good but again, wouldn't it be fun to have like, Austentatious on one year instead?
Space Cowboy - an extreme circus act
Rimskis' Yard - I think this is that new installation bit that was at the top of the Theatre fields in 2019?
Reginald D Hunter - comic
Paul Currie - unexplainable
Pam Ayres - poet/comic 
Josh Widdicombe - comic and arsehole apparently
Gecko are a dance/physical theatre company
Elvis McGonagall is a poet
Dom Joly current tour blurb: "Dom will be talking about his exploits as a serial globe-trotting and seeker of dangerous travel spots. From North Korea though the Congo and Syria to Chernobyl, he's visited some of the most unusual places on the planet. Joly famously attended school with Osama Bin Laden and armed with a trusty Powerpoint, fans can expect his holiday snaps to provide comedy and a sense of danger."
Cirque du Vulgar: "Cirque du Vulgar is a night of risqué live entertainment, featuring stunning strip-tease routines, electrifying daredevil stunts and filthy comedy "
Cerys Nelmes is a comic
Box 9 Drumline are walkabout drummers
Array Collective make art exhibits about social issues. No clue what they'll be doing at Glastonbury but they did win the Turner Prize!
Abandoman is an improv hip-hop act

Edited by DeanoL
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 10

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Okay - I went through and Googled the acts I didn't know. It's really not a great poster as they're not even grouped by performance type and many of the names aren't obvious. I mean some are but I've included them for completeness anyway, with some commentary:

Marcel Lucont is a is a comedian who pretends to be a posh Frenchman and does songs
Siegfried and Joy are magicians - they wear tiger skin outfits so clearly they're refencing Siegfried and Roy but unsure if they're meant to be a parody?
Jonathan Pie is a viral internet person/comic - I know he has name recognition but I do wish they would just book an actual comic at the top of their game to do a full show instead - Joe Lycett or James Acaster or someone
Twisted Cabaret is Frank Olivier's and Paul Nathan's circus cabaret group - you may have seen either of them doing juggling acts at previous festivals
Tony Walsh is a poet
Tianna and Lea Two Times The Travels is unknown to Google. Why would you put them on the poster, especially when this is clearly not even a fraction of the entire Cabaret/Astrolabe/Poetry&Words/Circus/Walkabout lineup. Why include something that gives people no information at all?!
Steve Frost Improv Allstars - comedy improv, often includes Phil Jupitus. Interestingly this is just off the back of Paul Merton's tour with Suki Webster, Mike McShane, Lee Simpson, Richard Vranch and Kirsty Newton - I know Richard and Suki have done the Glastonbury show in the past so wonder if we might see a slightly different line-up. They are good but again, wouldn't it be fun to have like, Austentatious on one year instead?
Rimskis' Yard - I think this is that new installation bit that was at the top of the Theatre fields in 2019?
Pam Ayres - poet/comic 
Dom Joly current tour blurb: "Dom will be talking about his exploits as a serial globe-trotting and seeker of dangerous travel spots. From North Korea though the Congo and Syria to Chernobyl, he's visited some of the most unusual places on the planet. Joly famously attended school with Osama Bin Laden and armed with a trusty Powerpoint, fans can expect his holiday snaps to provide comedy and a sense of danger."
Cirque du Vulgar: "Cirque du Vulgar is a night of risqué live entertainment, featuring stunning strip-tease routines, electrifying daredevil stunts and filthy comedy "
Cerys Nelmes is a comic
Array Collective make art exhibits about social issues. No clue what they'll be doing at Glastonbury but they did win the Turner Prize!

Great work. We thank you for your hard work!

10 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Tony Walsh is a poet
Pam Ayres - poet/comic 
Cerys Nelmes is a comic

I reckon the booking policy is largely dictated by who wants to do it for next to nothing. Widdicome, Ince, Lee, Kumar are all music fans - my guess is that they do it for the free ticket essentially (hence why they are often on in the afternoon).

37 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Ssshhh you promised not to tell anyone.

13 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Tony Walsh is a poet
Pam Ayres - poet/comic 
Cerys Nelmes is a comic

Marvellous posts on both counts but I'm already out of upvotes.