1st Time with a Motorhome

Ponyegg

A bit of a question for the motorhomer/campervanners out there....

I've been going to Glastonbury for many years.
But since 2015 we've had major issues getting tickets.
This ended up one year where after 3 years of failing we spent the money on a gholiday to New Zeland instead and whilst there hired a Motorhome....a n d have n ow fallen in love with Motorhomes... So, this year is our first year in a MH. Looks like we're heading to the Campervan East fields.
From your experience...

What should we avoid and what should we try to, any tips/tricks you'd care to share? Any fields to steer clear of?

Got a question about glass items in the MH/CV fields. We're hrijng so the MH will have glasses etc... do we need to ensure no glass items are in the vehicle or does the glass ban focus mainly when entering back into the main site?

Edited by Ponyegg

1 hour ago, Ponyegg said:

Any fields to steer clear of?

Got a question about glass items in the MH/CV fields. We're hrijng so the MH will have glasses etc... do we need to ensure no glass items are in the vehicle or does the glass ban focus mainly when entering back into the main site?

I've stayed in some of the furthest fields in a rented caravan and it's no great shakes.  It's just a different experience as you tend to take a day bag (with some layers and whatever you want for night) and go out for the whole day, rather than going back to the tent as you would if you're camping.

Yes - they will do a check for glass, so best to sort that first - just leave them at home or ask the owner to remove.

Edited by clarkete
  • Like 1

The website offers Campervan/Caravan advice here :

No glass in the van is the rule... I have been 10 times and they have probably taken a look in the van 50% of the time on arrival.

Your ticket for CV East will either be in 'Quiet' or 'General' and that will determine which group of fields you go in, which in turn depends on how they are filling up... pitches are not marked out so stewards just park you in rows...

The CV fields open up on Tuesday lunchtime... If you are able i would certainly look at getting there as early as possible (It is a great start to your Glastonbury and a good atmosphere..

Have a great time!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ponyegg said:

A bit of a question for the motorhomer/campervanners out there....

I've been going to Glastonbury for many years.
But since 2015 we';ve had major issues gettimng tickets.
This ended up one year where after 3 years of failing we spent the money on a gholiday to New Zeland instead and whilst there hired a Motorhome....a n d have n ow fallen in love with Motorhomes... So, this year is our first year in a MH. Looks like we're heading to the Campervan East fields.
From your experience...

What should we avoid and what should we try to, any tips/tricks you'd care to share? Any fields to steer clear of?

You will be directed into East or East Quiet depending on which you have a pass for, this will be exchanged for a sticker as you get closer to the fields. The sticker needs attaching to the windscreen straight away, make sure you have some cling film and bluetack to hand as its a hire van, this will save having to scrape it off the window! You won't have any choice in which field you are pitched in, the marshalls will direct you to the one they are currently filling.

Use the lock ups for your warm night clothes, booze etc as it can take a lot of time going back to the campervan fields as you have to go through security at Gate C each time. Queues can be long...... Keep your ticket and pass out safe as you will need these each time you enter from the campervan fields.

Fill the water tank before you get there as you can't drive to the taps to fill up, I have seen many people struggle to top the water up in motorhomes as they don't usually carry water containers.

Levelling blocks can be useful. Use the power sparingly, as batteries can easily be flattened and there is no hook up. 🙂

Totally agree with @StoneCircle about the water tank. We always took an aqua roll to collect water from the taps while on site but getting the water from the heavy aqua roll into the inlet in the motorhome with a funnel etc was a total pain, and we were filling the tank most days during the festival. So my friend made a pump which plugs into the cigarette lighter and pumps the water from the aqua roll into the motorhome (via a hose) which is soooo much easier. Like I say, he made his but it looks a lot like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Submersible-Transfer-Extractor-Cigarette-Lighter/dp/B077KTK5BP

You will have some scope to choose your pitch, the stewards are usually overwhelmed so if you get someone pointing you at a slope/next to the path just ignore them and use common sense. As for glass definitely a no-no, although they tend to search every 5th vehicle at peak times. Look at past overhead photos- locations of waste disposal, water etc. have seen some vans parked literally facing down hill at 35deg- crazy. And yes you can move (discreetly) if you're neighbours or something else is ruining it for you. 

I usually breeze in with a cheery 'No glass - but you're welcome to check' to the stewards.  They've never bothered because they recognise you know the ropes.  Should they check they won't find any because we do know the ropes.

My main tip is use the lock ups wisely to avoid having to go back to the van during the day. We usually put a bag in lock up of just in case items like first aid stuff, extra layers and hot or cold weather stuff depending on forecast nearer the time. Each day my husband puts in some drinks for evening as well so he doesn’t have to carry as much around. 

On 4/26/2022 at 7:00 PM, StoneCircle said:

it can take a lot of time going back to the campervan fields as you have to go through security at Gate C each time. Queues can be long......

How bad is it?

I usually like to pop back once to get my nighttime fancy dress on… and coming in the van means i can bring even more than usual…

Edited by Twiggy553
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

How bad is it?

I usually like to pop back once to get my nighttime fancy dress on… and coming in the van means i can bring even more than usual…

It once took my husband 3 hours after leaving me in West Holt's to get back to me. We were in the closest field to gate C as I was given a space in the accessible overspill CV site. This was a Thursday afternoon. 

23 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

It once took my husband 3 hours after leaving me in West Holt's to get back to me. We were in the closest field to gate C as I was given a space in the accessible overspill CV site. This was a Thursday afternoon. 

Because of queues at gate C?

22 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

Yeah right, he stopped in that cocktail place in the circus fields didnt he..?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Yeah right, he stopped in that cocktail place in the circus fields didnt he..?

Nope, please don't judge others. He is my carer as I am deaf and have other disabilities. He expected to be an hour or so maximum when he went back, not 3. 

On 4/30/2022 at 11:05 PM, StoneCircle said:

Nope, please don't judge others. He is my carer as I am deaf and have other disabilities. He expected to be an hour or so maximum when he went back, not 3. 

Meant as a joke not a judgement.

apologies if it offended.

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2022 at 12:41 PM, Brad2434 said:

Looking at this guys video if you skip to 12:10, he has his campervan, a gazebo and about 3 tents around him. Is this normal or has he just got away with it because he arrived on the Tuesday?

I love this guy and his video! I have watched it at least 20 times haha.

That's fairly normal. Maybe a bit more space cause they're nearest the fence to spread out but you'd be able to do that no problem. Just tell the stewards you're popping up X tents, awning etc and they'll make sure to leave you space. 

Thank you for all the useful tips in this thread. We will have to arrive on the Wednesday so if anyone is pitched near the very back you’ll be with us 🙋🏻‍♀️
Our MH is a hire so we will be removing all glass & knives and probably lining the floor with sticky plastic - anyone else do this?

Now just praying to the weather gods that we don’t end up getting stuck in the field.

50 minutes ago, GlastoMom said:

Thank you for all the useful tips in this thread. We will have to arrive on the Wednesday so if anyone is pitched near the very back you’ll be with us 🙋🏻‍♀️
Our MH is a hire so we will be removing all glass & knives and probably lining the floor with sticky plastic - anyone else do this?

Now just praying to the weather gods that we don’t end up getting stuck in the field.

dont despair... If you have 'General' tickets in CV East they start filling up from 18 into 17 -16 - 15 - 14..

So you could arrive Tuesday afternoon and get parked in the back of 17... but you could arrive wednesday evening and get parked in the far left of 14 (considerably closer to the gate and an easier exit...)

You're going to Glastonbury.. Enjoy!

1 hour ago, BlueDaze said:

but you could arrive wednesday evening and get parked in the far left of 14 (considerably closer to the gate and an easier exit...)

Well now this makes me feel considerably better.

Whatever happens I know my step count will be well up on average, whats a few extra fields to cross on the way ‘home’. 😬

• 1 month later...

Thanks all for the help/tips.
This was for use one of the best years we've ever had. The MH made life so much easier and will be a permanent feature in all future festivals for us. 

We camped at Cross Keyes Inn on the Monday night, it was a 20min drive to the site the next morning at 11am, virtually no traffic, took us 40mins from setting off to getting parked in E18...perfect location and given pletny of room to fit a friends tent and gazebo/sehlter (no awning).

It took 4hrs on Monday to get through 3 fields and off site... but think that was down to some  broken down vehicles blocking the lanes.

Saw quite a few 8m+ mohos as well as a number of twin axles... not sure how they managed that, thought they had to go to B&W.

Very impressed with the lack of litter/rubbish as well.

See you all next year 🙂