COFFEE at Glastonbury

One Tonne Baby

On 4/26/2022 at 8:57 AM, dondo said:

That's my go to place. As a volunteer/staff they also gave me a discount if I showed my wristband which was good. 

Yep, Proper Coffee is the go to place for me. Love their Cappuccino’s.

last time I went, 2017, they were near the pyramid. Can someone guess where they might be this year please.

😀

1 minute ago, DaveyGee said:

Yep, Proper Coffee is the go to place for me. Love their Cappuccino’s.

last time I went, 2017, they were near the pyramid. Can someone guess where they might be this year please.

😀

In 2019 they were at the bottoms of Williams Green

10 minutes ago, Staberinde said:

So... I am guessing Proper Coffee is the most recommended coffee stall so far.

I actually took a couple of picks in 2019 - why? I dunno

DSC_0256.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

We’ll all be referring back to this to see how much the prices have gone up. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/26/2022 at 11:51 AM, philipsteak said:

Bought a hand grinder and V60 that lives permanently in the van. 

Was worried it'd be a bit of a ball ache (use an electric grinder at home) but I really enjoy the whole ritual of it. 

God I sound like a w*nker, but I'm a w*nker with excellent coffee so I don't care. 

When I read this, I had to check I hadn't posted it!

I have a metal V60 and a little hario mini mill that lives in the van. I really really enjoy sitting there in the morning grinding my beans ready to make a pot of delicious coffee. Normally, I stop on the way to where I'm going to buy a really fresh bag of coffee from a local coffee shop. This time, I got a bag of very fancy coffee from the only roasters in Madeira from my holiday last week. Absolute w*nker behaviour.

I also got a very cute painted enamel coffee pot to make it in, which just adds to my smug coffee w*nker morning ritual. Look at this beauty! 

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-06 at 5.40.50 PM (1).jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, irnkrtn said:

I have a metal V60 and a little hario mini mill that lives in the van. I really really enjoy sitting there in the morning grinding my beans ready to make a pot of delicious coffee. Normally, I stop on the way to where I'm going to buy a really fresh bag of coffee from a local coffee shop. This time, I got a bag of very fancy coffee from the only roasters in Madeira from my holiday last week. Absolute w*nker behaviour.

I also got a very cute painted enamel coffee pot to make it in, which just adds to my smug coffee w*nker morning ritual. Look at this beauty! 

And it helps you live longer so more time for w...king

• Upvote 1

On 4/28/2022 at 2:05 PM, kaytee... said:

Has anyone with a jetboil stove or similar used the coffee press attachment? Would save carrying an aeropress or Moka pot.

Yes, its a PITA to clean up alll the time, if you wish to use your jetboil for other things. 

2 hours ago, irnkrtn said:

Coffee w*nkers of the world unite! 

Usually just brew straight in to a mug, but I do like that pot though. 

4 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Coffee w*nkers of the world unite! 

Usually just brew straight in to a mug, but I do like that pot though. 

I quite like Nescafe Azera, I find myself reaching for that more often than not, yet I have 2 commercial bean to cup machines at my disposal, that can make me a latte, flat white, espresso or cappuccino from freshly ground beans and fresh milk at the touch of a button.  

Azera just tastes amazingly good for an instant.

Should I be punished? 

5 hours ago, Alvoram said:

I quite like Nescafe Azera, I find myself reaching for that more often than not, yet I have 2 commercial bean to cup machines at my disposal, that can make me a latte, flat white, espresso or cappuccino from freshly ground beans and fresh milk at the touch of a button.  

Azera just tastes amazingly good for an instant.

Should I be punished? 

I'd probably just go with shunned rather than punished. Maybe talked about behind your back too.

I've tried Azera and yes, it's good for an instant. But it's still an instant.

4 hours ago, philipsteak said:

I'd probably just go with shunned rather than punished. Maybe talked about behind your back too.

I've tried Azera and yes, it's good for an instant. But it's still an instant.

I won’t mention it again then. 🙈😂 Please don’t tell anyone. 🤫

Ok so just bought an Aeropress, and tried my Favourite Lava Java, got to say wow , the bitterness had gone !

I really need a strong coffee in the morning to get the brain working (had a nasty concussion last year and was off work for months). Is bean Vs pre ground really worth the effort..

Looking to join the coffee w*nkers on here 😉

So I'm looking for two recommendations here...  

A mini affordable grinder(spend a ton on Glasto stuff at the mo)

A good full bodied bean, easy to buy..

Or a good pre ground coffee 

6 minutes ago, mrfunk said:

Is bean Vs pre ground really worth the effort..

100% yes. 😁

You might find this useful - I can’t really recommend an affordable grinder - I wanted one that is also good for espresso and that means more £££. 😐 But looks like some good options in that linked article. 

As for beans, if you’re going to the trouble of grinding them then you really should buy freshly roasted - which generally rules out anything in the supermarket. 

I get mine from Kickback Coffee ‘cos they’re just up the road from me - can highly recommend! - but lots of other small roasteries are about. 

Happy caffeinating. 🙂

10 minutes ago, mrfunk said:

Ok so just bought an Aeropress, and tried my Favourite Lava Java, got to say wow , the bitterness had gone !

I really need a strong coffee in the morning to get the brain working (had a nasty concussion last year and was off work for months). Is bean Vs pre ground really worth the effort..

Coffee w*nker reporting for duty. 

Beans vs ground. Yes. I really think it is. The flavour is just so much better. On the rare occasions I use pre ground is just not the same. Flatter somehow. I can definitely tell. 

Thing is, what ive found is every time you 'step up' is very hard to go backwards. 

I'll have a look for my grinder later. The Hario one mentioned earlier is very good. No idea what they cost now. 

Regarding beans, I tend to get from all different places. I want to try all of them. I do tend to favour a lighter roast

4 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Thing is, what ive found is every time you 'step up' is very hard to go backwards.

This is so true.

Also be warned, going down this path can result in severe disappointment with most coffee you’ll find out & about. 😂

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Is the hario mill suitable for espresso machine grind, or does it not go down that fine?

Unless they’ve brought out a new one in the last year, none of the Hario grinders are really capable of espresso grind. 

As mentioned upthread I wanted one that could do this & did quite a lot of research last year before getting a 1ZPresso JX-Pro. I love it but it wasn’t cheap. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, mrfunk said:

https://www.hrhiggins.co.uk/products/rhinowares-coffee-hand-grinder?variant=40813723091120&gclid=CjwKCAjwkYGVBhArEiwA4sZLuB8nmjAIZs-TazxQXf3ry5mLkHESJowBLivTZdPB0ZLce-Tinu1QbhoCn78QAvD_BwE can reconmend this grinder, albeit a little pricey. I think youve gotta spend a little to get anything worth getting unfortuantely. 

This is mine

https://amzn.eu/d/2WOoLGZ

Paid less than that, about £35 last year. Despite the naff name, it's very good for the money. I remember a review saying it did ok espresso but I have no idea as I only use for filter (have access to a commercial espresso at work so any home one would just seem rubbish). If nothing else it would be bloody hard work grinding that fine with it. 

The no brand ones for around £15-£20 on eBay etc should generally be avoided.