COFFEE at Glastonbury

One Tonne Baby

22 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I've never seen leaks or other issues when using the traditional method and I'm so lazy that when I look at the link from the supplier of that filter supposedly illustrating how easy and superior the inverted method is I think "that sounds like a pain in the *rse to me I don't think I'll bother" 😉 

Mind you we don't use the aeropress more than once a day. 

I'd rather go to the Tiny Tea Tent for a nice brew and slice of cake than go through all this palaver you lot are up to.  I do blend my own tea leaves at home though - I'm not an animal.

For me it's purely about something to sit outside the tent with as I'm waking up for the day and thinking about what's to come. It's very much a once a day thing.

And with you, I'm almost evangelical about the TTT and its cake offerings. Took my mate to it at BDs last year and he couldn't believe he didn't know that there was somewhere at Glastonbury to get tea in a big proper mug. He was most excited.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

For me it's purely about something to sit outside the tent with as I'm waking up for the day and thinking about what's to come. It's very much a once a day thing.

And with you, I'm almost evangelical about the TTT and its cake offerings. Took my mate to it at BDs last year and he couldn't believe he didn't know that there was somewhere at Glastonbury to get tea in a big proper mug. He was most excited.

As with @philipsteak I have ever gone to some trouble making coffee. 20+ years ago I had some beans in the freezer and an electric grinder in the cupboard for when a pal came to stay because he was really fussy - but we wound each other up too much and stopped hanging out so it hasn't been used since then.  I didn't appreciate the difference sufficiently.

tbh the most I would ever drink would be one coffee a day and more often than not far less - in which case I'm happy to pay someone to make it after a meal or something.

Last few years I've been in CV East - never even bothered with taking my own stuff to cook breakie as so many others do, I'd rather just make my own tea and then maybe scoff a cereal bar or pain au chocolate and then follow my taste buds once we get on site.

TTT is a bit of an institution for me - no longer happy to just surge past my tolerance levels it's a great place to recharge batteries, usually great to have the opportunity to sit down (whether rain or shine it has different advantages), plus it's not that tricky to get to and there are interesting things to wander and look at whichever direction you head.

6 minutes ago, clarkete said:

TTT is a bit of an institution for me - no longer happy to just surge past my tolerance levels it's a great place to recharge batteries, usually great to have the opportunity to sit down (whether rain or shine it has different advantages), plus it's not that tricky to get to and there are interesting things to wander and look at whichever direction you head.

I think you might be me...

29 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I've drawn the line at roasting my own coffee.

So far.

I’ve even tried roasting them myself and would say don’t bother. You can’t get anywhere near uniformity unless you want to pay a fortune for equipment. The skillet on top of a stove doesn’t cut it. 

36 minutes ago, tarw said:

I’ve even tried roasting them myself and would say don’t bother. You can’t get anywhere near uniformity unless you want to pay a fortune for equipment. The skillet on top of a stove doesn’t cut it. 

Yeah, that's always been my thinking to be honest. I mean even paying a fortune for a home setup isn't going to compare to a professional with years of experience. 

5 hours ago, Twiggy553 said:

I always use the inverted method.

As far as i can tell the only downside is if you get some grounds stuck in the thread, fail to screw the filter on quite properly, and then proceed to pebble-dash the inside of your kitchen with coffee grounds when the cap pops off 😂 

What’s the benefit of inverted. Not to get too into the weeds on this thread but I’m interested 😂

7 hours ago, tarw said:

KOFFI ® DISC - Metal Filter for AeroPress - Reusable - Stainless Steel Ultra Fine Mesh Disk - for Better Tasting Coffee https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ES9169W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CQC2GX2330YFK3DRP2KR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

this is the one I got

Many thanks, just ordered it Tarw 👍

10 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

What’s the benefit of inverted. Not to get too into the weeds on this thread but I’m interested 😂

You can steep the coffee for longer without any of the brew flowing out straight into your cup.  If you don't invert there is always some seepage before plungage.  Which is worse with a metal filter than with paper.

5 minutes ago, BluePaul said:

You can steep the coffee for longer without any of the brew flowing out straight into your cup.  If you don't invert there is always some seepage before plungage.  Which is worse with a metal filter than with paper.

Pop in the plunger then pull it back up a bit. Creates a vacuum so it stops flowing through. A little will go through obviously when you put the plunger in.

Or just invert. Eithers fine

7 minutes ago, prog seller said:

Has anyone tried coffee bags? 

As an ex starbucks employee (rubbish coffee I know) Coffee bags give you a cafetière style coffee. Easier than faffing with washing up ?

I've only tried Taylor's hot lava java ones and they were decent, better than instant at least

• Like 1

Proper Coffee at Williams Green and the Espresso bar in the RH corner of West Holts. Both great. But I’m all about espresso or strong black americano so might not suit all.

14 hours ago, iamsam said:

My two most reliable places for coffee were the Beat Hotel (awful place but genuinely very good espresso-based drinks) and Camper Coffee. I know Beat Hotel has gone for this year so I'm hoping that Camper Coffee will be about!

Beat Hotel is gone, but the crew that run it will have another venue with different theming in the same location. I'd guess they will provide a similar range of refreshments, so you may be ok on that front. 

I am probably more of a coffee lover than the average coffee drinker and hopefully equal to most people here.

How ever I do realise there is a certain ridiculousness about some of the complicated mixes people order.
but - meh - each to their own

The Most Obnoxious Starbucks Drink Orders

After reading the above enjoy this excellent short video watching Frasier trying to order a large coffee

• Like 1

To those in the West C'van fields last Glasto, do you remember that great Coffee Cafe at the bottom? Can anyone remember their name? Now they've closed WCV I do hope the Coffee people get a pitch inside the fence.

9 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Beat Hotel is gone, but the crew that run it will have another venue with different theming in the same location. I'd guess they will provide a similar range of refreshments, so you may be ok on that front. 

That's great info - thank you! Will be in East CV this year so it's a bit of a slog but worth it for a decent cup of coffee.

On 4/28/2022 at 6:40 PM, prog seller said:

Has anyone tried coffee bags? 

As an ex starbucks employeeon  (rubbish coffee I know) Coffee bags give you a cafetière style coffee. Easier than faffing with washing up ?

These arrived today. Probably heresy on this thread, but decent strong coffee with zero faff.

image.png.4df56c1365c1fded701ca1d5d1a2140c.png

• Like 1