COFFEE at Glastonbury

One Tonne Baby

2 hours ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Love this. Thanks!

Careful with the coffee YouTube rabbit hole, before you know it you'll be watching reviews (plus the head to head comparison episode) for five £2000 plus grinders that of course you'll never buy cos that's insane but then you look across at your £100 grinder and start to think, is it really good enough? Of course it's good enough. But is it though? 

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

Careful with the coffee YouTube rabbit hole, before you know it you'll be watching reviews (plus the head to head comparison episode) for five £2000 plus grinders that of course you'll never buy cos that's insane but then you look across at your £100 grinder and start to think, is it really good enough? Of course it's good enough. But is it though? 

😄 Mr Gigpusher is not to go near these then. He is highly suggestible to marketing especially via the medium of YouTube!

2 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

😄 Already watching different aeropress methods on youtube on the bog this morning! I've had it about 5 years and not worried about my ratios or if i use the 'inverted' method or not, and now it's everything!

2 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

Is there a reliable way of frothing milk whilst camping?

See below...

13 hours ago, Twiggy553 said:

Warm the milk. Pour into an empty one-cup cafetière and use the plunger to give texture

But also see my warning 😉

13 hours ago, jimmillen said:

I have done this myself, it works great. But I'm not sure I'd want to be covering multiple utensils with milk given the (lack of) washing up facilities at the festival. You're either going to create a lot of extra work for yourself to wash up properly or end up with a foul gone-off milky mess of a cafetière... The little gauze filter plunger bit in particular is a pain to get clean. 😒

Plus you need an all-metal cafetière, remember no glass!

Much as I love my milky coffees I'll be drinking black only at the tent. 😉

ETA: Ooops, I'd missed the bit about being in CVE - if you've got a van with a sink, that makes all the difference! Still not meant to be bringing in glass utensils, and I think this is occasionally checked...?

ETA: A small, tall saucepan to warm milk on the camp stove and an Aerolatte or other small electric whisk also works well. Same challenge with clean-up though.

Edited by jimmillen

4 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

See below...

But also see my warning 😉

ETA: A small, tall saucepan to warm milk on the camp stove and an Aerolatte or other small electric whisk also works well. Same challenge with clean-up though.

Thank you! Sorry I'm out of upvotes. Also sorry for being to lazy to read back a page 😬

On 4/26/2022 at 6:50 AM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Oat milk is the best, then I’m again I’m vegan so I would say that, but I genuinely don’t know why anyone has milk anymore when you have oat milk as an alternative.

I could not agree more, finding oat milk made the thought and transition over to being vegan so much easier. 

On 4/26/2022 at 6:50 AM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Oat milk is the best, then I’m again I’m vegan so I would say that, but I genuinely don’t know why anyone has milk anymore when you have oat milk as an alternative.

You and Jodie Whittaker are on the same page...

On 4/26/2022 at 10:28 PM, blutarsky said:

Do they have food vendors in the campervan fields? 

The one nearest gate C for the last few festivals has appeared to be what my husband would call a 'dead dog van', but in 2019 there was a more interesting 'cantina' in E18 field, near the corner of E16 by the woods. 

I like a decent coffee at the end of the day back at the van, but don't want to risk blocking the water waste pipes with coffee grounds, so I always take coffee bags.  Percol Black and Beyond were delicious, but are no longer available. I find Taylors a bit meh,  so I'm going down my own internet rabbit hole looking for good ones. Who knew you could pay £1 per bag?!

Wholeheartedly agree re oatly barista. I'm not vegan (or even veggie), but I vastly prefer it to milk in coffee. It can render the roughest brew drinkable.

20 hours ago, tarw said:

I use inverted with a metal gauze instead of paper. Less waste and better coffee!

Where abouts did you buy it? Does it last forever?
Any links greatly appreciated.

I used to love Callums Real coffee situated by the east exit of West Holts. They did the whole range of coffees my favourite being a large latte with an extra shot. I swore by them.

Then in 2017 they started only doing filter coffees out of these large urns! I was gobsmacked, filtered maybe a step above instant but not as good as a decent expresso based coffee.

That year I discovered Proper Coffee in Williams - as mentioned earlier in this thread - and they are now my favourite.

Does anyone remember using Callums Real Coffee in 2019 and do they still only do filtered? 

40 minutes ago, Staberinde said:

Where abouts did you buy it? Does it last forever?
Any links greatly appreciated.

KOFFI ® DISC - Metal Filter for AeroPress - Reusable - Stainless Steel Ultra Fine Mesh Disk - for Better Tasting Coffee https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ES9169W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CQC2GX2330YFK3DRP2KR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

this is the one I got

• Upvote 1

I always use the inverted method.

As far as i can tell the only downside is if you get some grounds stuck in the thread, fail to screw the filter on quite properly, and then proceed to pebble-dash the inside of your kitchen with coffee grounds when the cap pops off 😂 

I've never seen leaks or other issues when using the traditional method and I'm so lazy that when I look at the link from the supplier of that filter supposedly illustrating how easy and superior the inverted method is I think "that sounds like a pain in the *rse to me I don't think I'll bother" 😉 

Mind you we don't use the aeropress more than once a day. 

I'd rather go to the Tiny Tea Tent for a nice brew and slice of cake than go through all this palaver you lot are up to.  I do blend my own tea leaves at home though - I'm not an animal.

19 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I've never seen leaks or other issues when using the traditional method and I'm so lazy that when I look at the link from the supplier of that filter supposedly illustrating how easy and superior the inverted method is I think "that sounds like a pain in the *rse to me I don't think I'll bother" 😉 

Mind you we don't use the aeropress more than once a day. 

I'd rather go to the Tiny Tea Tent for a nice brew and slice of cake than go through all this palaver you lot are up to.  I do blend my own tea leaves at home though - I'm not an animal.

I've drawn the line at roasting my own coffee.

So far.