Hip Hop at Glastonbury 2022?

discgoesmic

35 minutes ago, ironmike8 said:

Andy Paak is playing with RHCP in the London Stadium on the Saturday and Sunday so he likely won't be at the farm 😞

Kano is also missing from this year's lineup, alas 😞

He’s only playing with them on the Saturday, which is why he seems quite likely to be added - he must be elsewhere on the Sunday or they’d just have him supporting again. 

1 minute ago, the wonderwhy said:

He’s only playing with them on the Saturday, which is why he seems quite likely to be added - he must be elsewhere on the Sunday or they’d just have him supporting again. 

I really dug his West Holts set but I saw him touring the Oxnard album and it was only OK, probably cos the setlist was dominated by an average album.

22 minutes ago, David_303 said:

I thought they were great on the Pyramid in 2014. The crowd was awesome. It was a huge amount of fun. 

Yeah but watch this, the performance is actually pretty poor. All the lovely sing-song subtlety of their rapping from their studio albums is just lost to shouting:

Edited by Twiggy553

16 hours ago, discgoesmic said:

Does anyone else feel that there’s a big absence of hip hop announced so far? Obviously Kendrick as a headliner is fantastic but I think the festival could do much more.

Perhaps once West Holts is announced it’ll change things completely but I was hoping for more perhaps on Other/Pyramid to the level of Tyler, The Creator and similar. The UK can clearly bring them over when you look at lineups for festivals like Wireless.

I’ve been going to Glastonbury every year since 2011 and realise that this isn’t the festivals key genre and there’s plenty of considerations due to this like lack of mutual interest etc, but was wondering what people thought.

That said - we’ve just been through a global pandemic and I’m incredibly happy to be going at all!

Kendrick, Little Simz MGS and Doja is decent representation. Missing someone like Freddie Gibbs or RTJ.

I have noticed there’s a lack of UK Hip Hop and grime acts so far, but plenty of time for them to be announced. 

Edited by MaxPower

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Best I’ve seen are Jay Z and Nas and I’d heard a lot of bad things about Nas.

My first night in Australia, in January 2015, Nas performed illmatic in full. Even playing to a crowd in Adelaide, the whitest city imaginable, he was fantastic. 

To my ears there’s a definite dip in quality when it comes to Megan etc. - popular for attitude and image over musical quality. Her new music is the trashy kind of Cardi B type bad-bitch vulgarity that’s exactly the kind of hip hop I try and avoid. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

My first night in Australia, in January 2015, Nas performed illmatic in full. Even playing to a crowd in Adelaide, the whitest city imaginable, he was fantastic. 

To my ears there’s a definite dip in quality when it comes to Megan etc. - popular for attitude and image over musical quality. Her new music is the trashy kind of Cardi B type bad-bitch vulgarity that’s exactly the kind of hip hop I try and avoid. 

Couldn’t agree more with this, not interested in Megan at all. Saw her supporting Drake at the o2 (the J Cole guest date!) and she was awful.

2 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

Ah the poster I saw did not make this clear - that's great news!

19 hours ago, discgoesmic said:

Does anyone else feel that there’s a big absence of hip hop announced so far? Obviously Kendrick as a headliner is fantastic but I think the festival could do much more.

Perhaps once West Holts is announced it’ll change things completely but I was hoping for more perhaps on Other/Pyramid to the level of Tyler, The Creator and similar. The UK can clearly bring them over when you look at lineups for festivals like Wireless.

I’ve been going to Glastonbury every year since 2011 and realise that this isn’t the festivals key genre and there’s plenty of considerations due to this like lack of mutual interest etc, but was wondering what people thought.

That said - we’ve just been through a global pandemic and I’m incredibly happy to be going at all!

Where would Tyler play do you think? Other headline maybe or perhaps more like West Holts size / other sub?

4 hours ago, kemosabe said:

RTJ were fantastic when they played West Holts and the Pyramid in 2015 and 2017. 

I do wonder if the Hip Hop crowd is now more into Grime/Dril in this country? I appreciate the difference in style, but it's the same audience at Glasto. And on that point, it's getting Skepta, Wiley etc. Is certainly cheaper then dragging big Hip Hop names over from the states.

Hip hop is miles bigger than grime/drill in the UK. Theres just not really any uk hiphop headliners, most of the major artists are from the US.

I don't think Wiley will be booked anytime soon for Glastonbury (antisemetic), also not sure with Tyler about his ban etc?

Edited by gfa

17 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

BIC_Dave_1000x1000_2_bc2b97d25a5ce0cdb64

Fair enough, I wasn't really sure what genre Dave came under. Probably should have checked before embarrassing myself here haha.

Jorja Smith has been getting some big slots too (headlined boardmasters last year)

Edited by gfa

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Looks like the Davester also got d4bbed down from the Headliners Yet To Come game as well.

I like Jorja but don't see her ever quite getting to El Pointo topping ubiquity.

I made that list pretty quickly I think the only super recent new picks were Dua Lipa and Taylor Swift.

51 minutes ago, gfa said:

Where would Tyler play do you think? Other headline maybe or perhaps more like West Holts size / other sub?

Hip hop is miles bigger than grime/drill in the UK. Theres just not really any uk hiphop headliners, most of the major artists are from the US.

I don't think Wiley will be booked anytime soon for Glastonbury (antisemetic), also not sure with Tyler about his ban etc?

I meant the crowd at Glastonbury specifically, and I wasn't really talking abut headliners. But more broadly i'm trying to say that those who go see Tyler (for example), would probably also go see Dave/ Skepta/ Stormzy etc. For the large part, I don't think there is a cry for lots and lots more Hip Hop because people are placated by Grime throughout the line up. Of course away from Glastonbury I appreciate that's not the case. 

And yes, Wiley was a bad example.