Hip Hop at Glastonbury 2022?

discgoesmic

Does anyone else feel that there’s a big absence of hip hop announced so far? Obviously Kendrick as a headliner is fantastic but I think the festival could do much more.

Perhaps once West Holts is announced it’ll change things completely but I was hoping for more perhaps on Other/Pyramid to the level of Tyler, The Creator and similar. The UK can clearly bring them over when you look at lineups for festivals like Wireless.

I’ve been going to Glastonbury every year since 2011 and realise that this isn’t the festivals key genre and there’s plenty of considerations due to this like lack of mutual interest etc, but was wondering what people thought.

That said - we’ve just been through a global pandemic and I’m incredibly happy to be going at all!

Doja Cat and Megan Thee Stallion are both huge acts routed in hip hop. Obviously not the ones you were hoping to play, but it’s pretty ingenuine to say there’s a lack of it on the first poster: it’s about the same as always I’d say, which granted is never that much. 

Anyway, hopefully more will be added later. As you say, West Holts is usually good for that kind of stuff and I’m sure there’ll be a bit more sprinkled throughout, although tbh Glastonbury is never that huge on hip hop really as those acts often tend to be quite expensive and go to Wireless instead who no doubt have more money to throw about. Tyler seems to only headline the festivals he plays these days so I don’t see him ever returning to Glastonbury myself.

Gutted Danny Brown isn’t back as he was on the 2020 poster. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Doja Cat and Megan Thee Stallion are both huge acts routed in hip hop. Obviously not the ones you were hoping to play, but it’s pretty ingenuine to say there’s a lack of it on the first poster: it’s about the same as always I’d say, which granted is never that much. 

Anyway, hopefully more will be added later. As you say, West Holts is usually good for that kind of stuff and I’m sure there’ll be a bit more sprinkled throughout, although tbh Glastonbury is never that huge on hip hop really as those acts often tend to be quite expensive and go to Wireless instead who no doubt have more money to throw about. Tyler seems to only headline the festivals he plays these days so I don’t see him ever returning to Glastonbury myself.

Gutted Danny Brown isn’t back as he was on the 2020 poster. 

Yep very fair point, I saw Meghan many years ago and classed her more as pop at the time - but only a very faint memory.

Yeah, for me it was Earthgang I was really looking forward too from 2020. 

little simz headlining west holts, doja cat prob 2nd or 3rd down pyramid, megan thee 4th down pyramid and kendrick headlining the 50th on the pyramid is pretty great representation of hip hop, coming from a big hip hop fan, there will be a few others on the full poster im sure (maybe pusha t?!) But yeah no complaints here.

2 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

little simz headlining west holts, doja cat prob 2nd or 3rd down pyramid, megan thee 4th down pyramid and kendrick headlining the 50th on the pyramid is pretty great representation of hip hop, coming from a big hip hop fan, there will be a few others on the full poster im sure (maybe pusha t?!) But yeah no complaints here.

Yeah, I mean if you think that’s 4 out of a massive number of acts (so far) I think they could do better - Pusha T would be incredible for sure! 

Pusha would be sick, into his new tunes, hopefully he flies under the radar a bit coz ya crew camped out by the pyramid  would be appalled by his lyrics. Tyler would also be a hope for me. 

Always felt Glastonbury is short on the hip hop I’m into. Don’t really buzz off Doja or Megan the Stallion. I’ve always felt that they don’t pay enough to get a lot of artists over from America unless they’re headlining which is why I never got to see Nas or Wu when they played as I was elsewhere.

You see the likes of Big Daddy Kane, The GZA, De La Soul touring regularly. J. Cole is touring this summer. 50 is doing Parklife. Snoop got to be overdue a return to Glastonbury. I put it down to money me. 

Edited by Tommy Dickfingers

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not a fan yanno. Sacrilegious to say so in some circles. I think there’s a difference between Pushas crack raps and RTJ myself but that’s by the by. 

Have yer seen the Wu/Nas tour over in America? 

11 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

I’ve seen De La Soul twice live and both times they were shockingly bad.

Assumed it was bad soundcheck the first time but turns out they just don’t sound like the albums in real life, just really shouty.

It pains me to say this as Hip Hop has been the genre I’ve been into most since I was a kid but I’m often disappointed when I see it live. Public Enemy were horrendous 3 times in a row. 

Best I’ve seen are Jay Z and Nas and I’d heard a lot of bad things about Nas.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Her set from Coachella seemed to be her dancing and miming to a backing track.

I get the pressure to put on a show but if she can rap that well then you want to hear it live.

Edited by Twiggy553

RTJ were fantastic when they played West Holts and the Pyramid in 2015 and 2017. 

I do wonder if the Hip Hop crowd is now more into Grime/Dril in this country? I appreciate the difference in style, but it's the same audience at Glasto. And on that point, it's getting Skepta, Wiley etc. Is certainly cheaper then dragging big Hip Hop names over from the states.

Edited by kemosabe