Silver Hayes

Crazyfool01

23 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I'm 40 and I only know 9 names on that list!

I'm 29 and I only know Fatboy Slim and Groove Armada! (And now Gabriels because I just checked them out)

Can someone explain something to my dumb brain please? Why do some just have the name of the act, some say (live) and some say (dj set)? 

Question to those who don’t know any names… do you go out clubbing in London, Manchester or Bristol? Because people who do will probably know half of this lineup.

Isn’t that exactly what Silver Hayes is supposed to be? I’m perplexed.

If you haven’t been to a nightclub/day rave in decades I’m not surprised you don’t know any names!

6 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I think BBC Introducing is often announced on it's own later on, so it's probably still there.

The blurb on the main site says theirs 4 stages.

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/silver-hayes-announces-its-glastonbury-2022-line-up/

Maybe they don't consider BBC I as Silver Hayes, even though that's where it's located. 

Screenshot 2022-04-22 at 10.55.08.png

Edited by nikkic

9 minutes ago, Lushroom said:

I'm 29 and I only know Fatboy Slim and Groove Armada! (And now Gabriels because I just checked them out)

Can someone explain something to my dumb brain please? Why do some just have the name of the act, some say (live) and some say (dj set)? 

They'll do different types of set. Live usually means will actually be making the tunes live on stage (think disclosure, bicep) with instruments, vocalists etc and DJ set means playing their tunes off record and mixing in a load of others for a different vibe of set.

So groove armada won't be singing/playing live instruments but will be mixing in tunes from themselves and others.

Edited by Leyrulion
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Question to those who don’t know any names… do you go out clubbing in London, Manchester or Bristol? Because people who do will probably know half of this lineup.

If you haven’t been to a nightclub/day rave in decades I’m not surprised you don’t know any names!

Nope, not really my vibe usually but I tend to have a different mindset at a festival, and hoping Glastonbury will be a good place to broaden my musical horizons.

Just now, Matt42 said:

I mean no, when I go clubbing it's generally to shite gay clubs who only play chart music and 80's bops. And those clubs are in Glasgow seeing as that's where I live 😉. But I do work in the industry and make an effort to keep up with as many genres as possible. 

No fault of Silver Hayes that there's not much on there I know! Just interesting to find out how big of a gap dance/grime still is for me. (Also on second read I do at least recognise Kojey Radical and Eats Everything). 

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah a lot of the names I recognise from wharehouse project or support acts I've seen for Disclosure etc.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Good point. I consider myself fairly switched on concerning electronic/urban music (and live in London), but also I’m 41, if I was au fait with the majority of this lineup then Glastonbury wouldn’t be staying young/relevant. When I first started going almost 20 years ago I spent a lot of time in the dance village, I’ll be there this year at times, but it won’t always cater for crusty squat ravers.

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

The blurb on the main site says theirs 4 stages.

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/silver-hayes-announces-its-glastonbury-2022-line-up/

Maybe they don't consider BBC I as Silver Hayes, even though that's where it's located. 

Screenshot 2022-04-22 at 10.55.08.png

Ah good point, looking at previous Silver Hayes announcements they mentioned BBC Introducing as a stage for the last three years going by the links on the thingy. Seems like it could well be on the move then.

3 minutes ago, Lushroom said:

Because some acts sometimes do live sets with a full band, and sometimes just have a couple of them behind the decks.  If they almost always play as a live act or almost always DJ, then there will be nothing in brackets.

Then you get unbracketed oddities like Romy, who is known as one of the singers from xx, but who apparently DJs, and the irritating mystery meat Hot Chip sets where you can't work out if they're planning to get the band down into a place that normally only has DJs and once you've worked out it's a DJ set, you need to dig more to find out who is actually turning up, because there's five of them and you normally only get 1 or 2.  Not that Hot Chip are on this poster, but it's happened more than once at the festival before.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

They'll do different types of set. Live usually means will actually be making the tunes line on stage (think disclosure, bicep) with instruments, vocalists etc and DJ set means playing their tunes off record and mixing in a load of others for a different vibe of set.

So groove armada won't be singing/playing live instruments but will be mixing in tunes from themselves and others.

Ah that makes total sense, thank you.

2 minutes ago, Lushroom said:

Nope, not really my vibe usually but I tend to have a different mindset at a festival, and hoping Glastonbury will be a good place to broaden my musical horizons.

1 minute ago, oakdown said:

I mean no, when I go clubbing it's generally to shite gay clubs who only play chart music and 80's bops. And those clubs are in Glasgow seeing as that's where I live 😉. But I do work in the industry and make an effort to keep up with as many genres as possible. 

No fault of Silver Hayes that there's not much on there I know! Just interesting to find out how big of a gap dance/grime still is for me. (Also on second read I do at least recognise Kojey Radical and Eats Everything). 

Hence my confusion why people expected anything different?

music doesn’t standstill. If you check out and only listen to the acts from your time eventually lineups will start looking strange to you.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Exactly what I was thinking. 

If you don’t know the likes of Topping,  Craig Richards, Overmono, Groove Armada, Eats, Fodera etc then you’re not following the club/festival scene whatsoever!  Likewise for dnb - shy fx, hybrid minds, SASASAS… 

I don’t know what you were expecting! 

This is the best Silver Hayes/DV poster I ever remember!! 

Edited by stuie

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Does this mean the Blues has gone, as that was the best part about it (although getting on a bit I guess)

I loved the stage but the ground being on a slant really got to me.

Either that or I was just clattered.

Just now, stuie said:

Exactly what I was thinking. 

If you don’t know the likes off Topping,  Craig Richards, Overmono, Groove Armada, Eats, Fodera etc then you’re not following the club/festival scene whatsoever!  Likewise for dnb - shy fx, hybrid minds, SASASAS… 

I don’t know what you were expecting! 

This is the best Silver Hayes/DV poster I ever remember!! 

I showed this to one of my DJ loving friends who is going and said “meh no one I’ve not seen before” but that’s because these acts pretty much play in London every weekend. You could be a casual club attendee and have seen most of these.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Hence my confusion why people expected anything different?

music doesn’t standstill. If you check out and only listen to the acts from your time eventually lineups will start looking strange to you.

I don't think anyone who doesn't recognise any names expected to. It was just a string of people joking about their ages and not knowing the trendy music.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3