Legend of legends

alframsey

Of the ones I've seen Ray Davis, Lionel Richie and Kenny Rodgers are hard to separate, all were brilliant and couldn't pick one.

Never really took to the Dolly Parton performance. The first 3 I mentioned I felt like I was watching legendary performers, Dolly I felt like I was watching some kind of parody. Was also a bit meh about Kylie and sadly although I like ELO the atmosphere was very flat them in part due to weather, but also think people just weren't into it as he wasn't as mainstream a booking as previous years.

Ones I wish I'd been at were James Brown and Neil Diamond, both before I started going to the festival. Don't have tickets this year and gutted I'll miss Diana Ross. Would love to hear her belt out some of Supreme's numbers but probably don't like her enough to go to an actual Diana Ross gig. 

47 minutes ago, Boomtowner said:

I can't remember who was 2003, will need to get out my old programmes.

There wasn't one..

Johnny Cash in 1994 is often quoted as the first, and all the years since then apart from 2003 you can identify someone in the Sunday 3rd-5th from the top window that is deemed (albeit maybe retrospectively) to be be that years "legend".

I reckon it's 2004 that it really formalised into a stable "thing", with (I think) it being pretty consistently 4th from the top since then.

For me, Tony Bennett in '98. 

Cash in '94 a close second.

Since it has become 'a thing' Lionel has easily been the most fun. Neither ELO or Bazza lived up to the hype, which is a shame, because both acts probably would have been alright in a regular slot without the weight of expectation.

I'll be there for Diana Ross.

10 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Johnny Cash would be my choice as 'legend of legends'. I wasn't there that year, but Christ I wish I had been!

Maybe one for the victories thread but I was told to go and see him by someone. Not a great fan but strolled over to see what he would be like . Oh my did the man turn my head, brilliant

23 minutes ago, incident said:

There wasn't one..

Johnny Cash in 1994 is often quoted as the first, and all the years since then apart from 2003 you can identify someone in the Sunday 3rd-5th from the top window that is deemed (albeit maybe retrospectively) to be be that years "legend".

I reckon it's 2004 that it really formalised into a stable "thing", with (I think) it being pretty consistently 4th from the top since then.

Cheers, that saves me a job

1 hour ago, incident said:

There wasn't one..

The first one was probably Tom Jones in 92. Wasn't announced at all; was listed as 'a special guest we can't announce' on all the posters and ads in the music press. He went down an absolute storm, natch. 

13 hours ago, blue6field said:

My last 2 visits to the farm, the legends were, Paul Simon and ELO. Both were underwhelming, shall we say!

of all the Legends I’ve watched on TV the one that stands out for me, purely for getting it! And putting on a banger of a show, was Lionel Ritchie! Would have loved to have been at that one!

Ah Lionel, you could see the joy through the botox. He genuinely seemed almost overwhelmed and in total disbelief at what he was seeing. Love it when a long-time veteran gets to experience something new like that. It was a great show!

6 hours ago, Boomtowner said:

followed by Al Green in 1999.

He was brilliant, sounded great and looked fabulous in his white suit.

Think I've seen most of the others, wish I could remember more about Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson, but some of those festivals are very hazy.

34 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

Ah Lionel, you could see the joy through the botox. He genuinely seemed almost overwhelmed and in total disbelief at what he was seeing. Love it when a long-time veteran gets to experience something new like that. It was a great show!

Barry Gibb was also visibly moved by the reaction he got.

15 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Leonard Cohen wasn't the legend (although he clearly was a legend) - I think Neil Diamond was the legend that year. 

Johnny Cash would be my choice as 'legend of legends'. I wasn't there that year, but Christ I wish I had been!

In a weird way, I'm glad 1995 was my first because if I'd been there in 94 then idiot teenage me would have been at some forgettable indie landfill or something on the NME stage instead of Johnny Cash. And the regret from that would've been massive. 

37 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

In a weird way, I'm glad 1995 was my first because if I'd been there in 94 then idiot teenage me would have been at some forgettable indie landfill or something on the NME stage instead of Johnny Cash. And the regret from that would've been massive. 

Can confirm: Me in 2008 re: Leonard Cohen

i did see Johnny Cash - but i don't remember any of it... back then i was wasted from the time i got there til the time i left.

i also saw Dylan, well i stood at the back of the field for a few songs before concluding it was shit and going somewhere else.

i've never been a fan of "slots" i dont know why but just the term "legend slot" just annoys the hell outa me.

having said that - Neil Diamond was one of the best things i've ever seen at the festival.

• Upvote 1

Ray Davies is my all-time favourite Glastonbury moment, and indeed a great moment in my life. When he paid tribute to his bandmate Pete Quaife (who had died a few days before) followed by a rousing renditions of Days. Still gives me shivers.

But Lionel was magnificent too.

Would have loved to have been there for Ray Davies. The Kinks are one of my favourite bands and I was lucky enough to see him headline Victorious in 2015, and he was amazing then. Still had a big stage presence and the voice definitely hadn't given out. Would love to see him headline Acoustic or somewhere on the farm.

I am with the OP and will say Leonard Cohen, even though he wasn't in the actual legend slot.  Neil Diamond was quite disappointing (not loud enough).

I saw Johnny Cash in 1994. Was good, but HE wasn't quite the legend he became later. 'American Recordings' was only just out at that point.

21 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

I saw Johnny Cash in 1994. Was good, but HE wasn't quite the legend he became later. 'American Recordings' was only just out at that point.

I'm sorry but I simply cannot agree with this. Johnny Cash was a legend in the 50's. Listen to his Sun Records stuff, he's up there with Elvis in the history of rock'n'roll and out on his own in the history of country! The only music (apart from Simon & Garfunkel) that I got into from my parents.

56 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I'm sorry but I simply cannot agree with this. Johnny Cash was a legend in the 50's. Listen to his Sun Records stuff, he's up there with Elvis in the history of rock'n'roll and out on his own in the history of country! The only music (apart from Simon & Garfunkel) that I got into from my parents.

I know. He was a legend before, and it was a great gig (it's on YouTube I believe), but he became an even bigger legend towards the very end of his career - in my opinion.