Legend of legends

alframsey

So, listening to some of the legends who have filled that slot tonight I wondered 'who would be the legend of the legends?'. So I come here to ask.

I don't even remember if he played this slot and he would have been one of the first if he did, I think it was that slot, and imo it has to go to Leonard Cohen.

I was an 18 year old boy who didn't know this man and, as I watched him with my uncle who is a massive fan, I remember being blown away. That's my vote.

Who is yours?

Edited by alframsey
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, alframsey said:

So, listening to some of the legends who have filled that slot tonight I wondered 'who would be the legend of the legends?'. So I come here to ask.

I don't even remember if he played this slot and he would have been one of the first if he did, I think it was that slot, and imo it has to go to Leonard Cohen.

I was an 18 year old boy who didn't know this man and, as I watched him with my uncle who is a massive fan, I remember being blown away. That's my vote.

Who is yours?

Leonard Cohen wasn't the legend (although he clearly was a legend) - I think Neil Diamond was the legend that year. 

Johnny Cash would be my choice as 'legend of legends'. I wasn't there that year, but Christ I wish I had been!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Leonard Cohen wasn't the legend (although he clearly was a legend) - I think Neil Diamond was the legend that year. 

Johnny Cash would be my choice as 'legend of legends'. I wasn't there that year, but Christ I wish I had been!

I agree with Cash, but Diana is the number 1 since we've been going in 2014!

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Ah man that's crazy, I really thought they were separate years. I love them both and both were in my consideration. Dolly was a close second, we've been given some treats ent we. Also how the fuck could I forget cash...

54 minutes ago, zico martin said:

I agree with Cash, but Diana is the number 1 since we've been going in 2014!

Going to presume you mean Dianna Ross? Otherwise my memory fails me again! Tbh she has all the potential to steal it this year, so many bangers and such a cultural and pop icon she could headline all by herself

My last 2 visits to the farm, the legends were, Paul Simon and ELO. Both were underwhelming, shall we say!

of all the Legends I’ve watched on TV the one that stands out for me, purely for getting it! And putting on a banger of a show, was Lionel Ritchie! Would have loved to have been at that one!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mickthevoice said:

How about Dylan in 98? I missed it as had left the site by then. Hoped to see him on tv but he wouldn’t let them show the set. Did anyone catch him?

Only knowing the mainstream Dylan songs, I was quite looking forward to it but was left very disappointed. I only knew one or two and he seemed to be just going through the motions. However, some of the people around me seemed to really enjoy it but I guess they were Dylan fans and knew the extensive back catalogue. 

• Upvote 1

Of the ones I have seen Ray Davies. Still gives me goose bumps watching some of the footage on Youtube now. 

Chic were probably the ultimate legend but weren't technically the legend that year it was Barry Gibb. 

Would love to have seen Johnny Cash or Leonard Cohen but I do tend to only go to the legend slot if I really like who is playing. It can get very overcrowded and often with people who just want to be able to say they were there rather than being in any way interested in the act. Dolly was the worst for that for me. We must have had well over 200 people trying to try to walk through us whilst she was on which kind of spoiled our enjoyment of it. 

I’ll have to go for Johnny Cash too. Didn’t see him at Glastonbury sadly but at least I’ve been to his museum in Nashville. 

In the legends slot I’ve enjoyed Dolly & Neil Diamond the most, outside of that I’m happy to have seen Willie Nelson and Stevie Wonder. Maybe also include Amy Winehouse who is probably on a legendary status now. 

Interesting how people's memories are affected over the years regarding who the legend was. It was definitely in place when I started going in 2002 as we went to see Isaac Hayes and my mate had been telling me how good Willie Nelson was in 2000.

As far as I can tell it started with Tony Bennett in 1997, followed by Al Green in 1999.

Since I started it's been, IIRC,

2004 - James Brown

2005 - Brian Wilson

2007 - Shirley Bassey

2008 - Neil Diamond

2009 - Tom Jones

2010 - Ray Davies

2011 - Paul Simon

2013 Kenny Rogers

2014 Dolly

2015 Lionel

2016 ELO

2017 Barry Gibb

2019 Kylie

My worst one was Ray Davies, my biggest mistake ever at Glastonbury was missing that to watch the England Germany game. Occasionally, you would hear snippets coming over the fence. Lionel was awesome watching on TV. Dolly was the most enjoyable.

2004 and 2005 both made me cry for the wrong reasons. Brian Wilson and James Brown were well past their prime and saved only by exceptional backing musicians.

I can't remember who was 2003, will need to get out my old programmes.

Edited by Boomtowner

Lionel was the best one I've seen. That set had Glastonbury-Moment written all over. The way Lionel's eyes popped out of his head when he came on stage was just amazing, the crowd picked up on it and then set just took off.

Also hats off to the Shrinel Ritchie picking up the Shangri-La quirkiness where the Blessed Church of Bono left off.

I quit the England game in 2010 to go see Ray Davies, he was most surprisingly an utter delight, still get goosebumps thinking of Waterloo Sunset.

44 minutes ago, Heather90 said:

Of the non-official legends I'd say Burt Bacarach. I sat in my chair in the sun, cider in hand gently swaying and singing along. It was perfect. 

Yes it was absolutely sublime - one of my favourite Glastonbury experiences.