Record Store Day

NoBuses

2 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

I am hoping for the Taylor Swift 7" too.  Fool's errand I reckon but I'll be waking up at the crack of dawn on a Saturday for it anyway. 

on the US website it lists how many copies of each item there are

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

Supposedly 10,000 of the Taylor Swift 7" - should be the easiest to get.  

Im a bit disappointed in the US list this year - I might try for some of the UK titles online towards the end of the day 

46 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

I am hoping for the Taylor Swift 7" too.  Fool's errand I reckon but I'll be waking up at the crack of dawn on a Saturday for it anyway. 

Have a lie in and buy it off discogs in a few weeks once the flippers realise no one wants to pay 3x the original sale price.

The list of titles seems to get worse every time. There's a few bits I wouldn't mind but I don't understand why people queue up for any of it to be honest.

Edited by benali
  • Upvote 3

I am in 2 minds at the mo

Sun's signature is now not being released till 18th June, which I really want.

Others are Glass Animals, Taylor (100 copies in Bristol Rough Trade) FSOL and Ultravox live 77. A few more really but getting a new kitchen so money needs to be spent there.

Most of the stores near me have stopped doing it, said is no longer worth it

Edited by fred quimby

58 minutes ago, Olshansky said:

on the US website it lists how many copies of each item there are

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

Supposedly 10,000 of the Taylor Swift 7" - should be the easiest to get.  

Im a bit disappointed in the US list this year - I might try for some of the UK titles online towards the end of the day 

Aye but it’s also the one everyone wants (and the one that’s had the most promo from the record shops). 

Pretty they go online next Saturday btw.

Well if I tell you then you might buy the last one before I get there! 😆

Jon Hopkins for me. It'll complete my collection of his solo studio albums.

There doesn't seem to be too much chatter about it at the moment so cautiously optimistic that my inability to get up at silly o clock and get across London may not be too much of an issue. But then I thought no one would want the Fred Again album last year so what do I know! (I got one in the end - good old discogs. Same price too)

29 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

There doesn't seem to be too much chatter about it at the moment so cautiously optimistic that my inability to get up at silly o clock and get across London may not be too much of an issue. But then I thought no one would want the Fred Again album last year so what do I know! (I got one in the end - good old discogs. Same price too)

6 music are promoting it quite a lot, so you might be being optimistic. Also, the expected good weather will bring out more people prepared to queue. I've been in the queue in the snow in previous years!

Also worth bearing in mind the records won't be going online for a week after this year. The last 2 years they've gone online on the Saturday night of RSD.

15 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

6 music are promoting it quite a lot, so you might be being optimistic. Also, the expected good weather will bring out more people prepared to queue. I've been in the queue in the snow in previous years!

Also worth bearing in mind the records won't be going online for a week after this year. The last 2 years they've gone online on the Saturday night of RSD.

Yea, aware of the online not being for a week. I'll be there tomorrow, just not been well so mornings are hard and my store of choice is Rough Trade East so..... yea - not overly optimistic. Could dispatch my Mum in our home town but she won't queue up like us muppets.

4 hours ago, gigpusher said:

There's a few I'd like but not prepared to queue half the night to get them. 

I've only had a vinyl player for a few years and this is my first non-online RSD purchases...do people really queue up half the night? I really want the TS Vinyl but I also really want sleep. 

7 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

I've only had a vinyl player for a few years and this is my first non-online RSD purchases...do people really queue up half the night? I really want the TS Vinyl but I also really want sleep. 

Depends where you live and where your nearest participating store is. My nearest one is in Manchester and yep people do. If you go in about 11am the queues are usually gone but then so are most of the things you want. I actually preferred when it was online. I think Record Store Day doesn't really do what it was meant to do. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Depends where you live and where your nearest participating store is. My nearest one is in Manchester and yep people do. If you go in about 11am the queues are usually gone but then so are most of the things you want. I actually preferred when it was online. I think Record Store Day doesn't really do what it was meant to do. 

Totally. Just look at all the stuff that's left over from previous record store days that shops have to flog off for cost price because no one wants it.

There's always a few good bits but it's mainly been hijacked by major labels trying to flog a load of nonsense.

7 minutes ago, benali said:

Totally. Just look at all the stuff that's left over from previous record store days that shops have to flog off for cost price because no one wants it.

There's always a few good bits but it's mainly been hijacked by major labels trying to flog a load of nonsense.

Yep.  As I said none of my local ones do it anymore for this very reason. All geared up to some big stores and generally too much

I buy records for listening and have no interest in buying stuff because it might go up in value. I find a lot of the RSD stuff not really exciting or new. I do appreciate that now they are adding 'RSD exclusive' and RSD first' to the listings so you can see if they are going to turn up a few months later for regular sale at a lower price, which has caught me out a few times in the past. 

I'd be keen to pick up Prince's Gold Experience if it was reasonably priced, but happy to wait for the regular release.

And of course, it feels like there's loads of stuff that hasn't ever hit vinyl or is desperately in need of a reissue that is not available here or anywhere.

28 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

Some folk do. I have rocked up a few hours before opening if there are limited number of copies I am after. Phone up the shop and ask how many they have, you get an idea then. TS one I know they have 100 copies so as long as I was 99 then all good which is a longer lie in. When I knew they had 1 copy well, you get the picture

• Like 1