Glasto Victories

fatyeti24

39 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

If I recall correctly, it was gone midnight. I can't say that there was a mad rush or how busy it was outside, we got there when it was half-full (the vast majority of those in there that we spoke to knew what was going on), only finding out about it as we were meeting a friend at Trash City and she'd bumped into someone who was a Gaga fan en-route to Shangri-La. I'm not sure how she found out but we decided to tag along as we'd enjoyed her set on the Other Stage earlier that day. It didn't feel overly busy about 3/4 in, I've been to much more heavily crowded secret sets but maybe the time of day and not so much of a social media presence meant that the rumour wasn't so widespread. It lasted less than an hour, again, if my memory serves but I do remember it being a largely chaotic set.

She was just on the cusp of blowing up then. If it happened now, of course it would be a health and safety catastrophe. I'm trying to think of an equivalent 

She didn't appear any more or less messy than she did earlier that day but I've since seen a few images of her backstage that night and she does look like she got into the "festival spirit".

I suppose I'm forgetting that she was still on her debut album back then and perhaps not the person/image we know today.

Me and another mate had intended to watch her Other stage performance, more out of interest than fandom, but another mate of ours who couldn't get the Friday off work rang us to say he was at Ped gate C and to come and help him with his bags and also because he was re-loading our supplies, not to leave him hanging for ages so we had to miss it then just caught some of The Specials on the Pyramid.

Also someone I used to know was working on the Other stage that day and said they saw her a bit around backstage and she was rather 'well oiled' later on but how true that was I don't know, but does fit in with what went on later that night!

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I suppose I'm forgetting that she was still on her debut album back then and perhaps not the person/image we know today.

Me and another mate had intended to watch her Other stage performance, more out of interest than fandom, but another mate of ours who couldn't get the Friday off work rang us to say he was at Ped gate C and to come and help him with his bags and also because he was re-loading our supplies, not to leave him hanging for ages so we had to miss it then just caught some of The Specials on the Pyramid.

Also someone I used to know was working on the Other stage that day and said they saw her a bit around backstage and she was rather 'well oiled' later on but how true that was I don't know, but does fit in with what went on later that night!

We were on a stag and hen weekend that year and got dragged to the Other Gaga set by the bridal party. I'm glad we did, as it was a great show. One of my favourite day time sets. I still think she's destined to headline the Pyramid one day. I'm convinced it would be as spectacular as anything seen on that stage. There, I said it.

21 hours ago, mazola said:

Chic on West Holts. Everything about it was perfect, from the crowd around us to the amount of spandangled I was. It felt like everyone was having the time of their lives and dancing their arses off.

Was the first time I'd seen them, seen them a couple of other times since and it's pretty much the same show, but that night was something special.

This ^

For me that Saturday evening in 2013 was extra special because my son had asked me who he should go and see with his party of mates (all in their 20s) that evening. And boy was it a proper party! 

Afterwards, those who could still speak thanked me profusely for the recommendation and were surprised by how many tunes they knew. 

I still get goosebumps thinking about that evening. It was indeed a spandangular one.

• Upvote 1

I once went to the bar near the JP and ordered three pints. Just as I was about to get my wallet out I noticed a crisp £20 note on the floor by my feet. Snatched it up and handed it over, even told the guy behind to get himself one with the change.

Absolutely love it when that happens.

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I once went to the bar near the JP and ordered three pints. Just as I was about to get my wallet out I noticed a crisp £20 note on the floor by my feet. Snatched it up and handed it over, even told the guy behind to get himself one with the change.

4 pints from a 20, those were the days...

26 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Oh yeah, thats a belter! 

i was getting some food from la grande bouffe in 2016, the big muddy year - it was sunday evening, i was fairly near to game over, itd been really bloody hard work and i needed a great big feed.

I got a tartiflette with a couple of sausages, handed over a tenner, and got change for a twenty. I ummed and ahhed, and thought i'd do the decent thing - told him he'd given me too much change:

he said oh well, no worries, go and have a pint with it! 

so, yknow, i did 

5 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Oh yeah, thats a belter! 

i was getting some food from la grande bouffe in 2016, the big muddy year - it was sunday evening, i was fairly near to game over, itd been really bloody hard work and i needed a great big feed.

I got a tartiflette with a couple of sausages, handed over a tenner, and got change for a twenty. I ummed and ahhed, and thought i'd do the decent thing - told him he'd given me too much change:

he said oh well, no worries, go and have a pint with it! 

so, yknow, i did 

My big worry about the festival going cashless is the lack of money to be found on the floor. Usually pick up one or two notes each year just through keeping my eyes open near the bars...

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

My big worry about the festival going cashless is the lack of money to be found on the floor. Usually pick up one or two notes each year just through keeping my eyes open near the bars...

Plus you'll not know about a nefarious double tap til you get home and check your bank transactions: Hmmm, did i really have three lots of two cocktails one after another on the thursday afternoon? 

17 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Plus you'll not know about a nefarious double tap til you get home and check your bank transactions: Hmmm, did i really have three lots of two cocktails one after another on the thursday afternoon? 

Spoiler alert: yes you did

• Upvote 2

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

There's nothing worse than waking up after a big night and checking your balance...

"My card has been hacked!!! There's no way I bought all these drin..... urh! I did, didn't I?"

The modern equivalent of your wallet being so full of pound coins it kept pulling your jeans down on the stagger home

1 hour ago, scrippit said:

This ^

For me that Saturday evening in 2013 was extra special because my son had asked me who he should go and see with his party of mates (all in their 20s) that evening. And boy was it a proper party! 

Afterwards, those who could still speak thanked me profusely for the recommendation and were surprised by how many tunes they knew. 

I still get goosebumps thinking about that evening. It was indeed a spandangular one.

I think it was mainly there set that had me thinking "I want to go there" when I was watching it on TV.  I went the next year.

23 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

There's nothing worse than waking up after a big night and checking your balance...

"My card has been hacked!!! There's no way I bought all these drin..... urh! I did, didn't I?"

I cancelled my card the other night because i thought someone stole it as it was buying drinks after i left, turns out i gave it to my friend as i owed him some drinks!

2 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

Not music related but 2015 getting up crazy early to get front and centre for the Dalai Lama. I know he went to the pyramid later but felt much more personal at the king's meadow. 

I didn't do that one, but I did get to the morning panel he did. Amazing stuff, I'm not normally one for being wowed by an individual but it did feel pretty special sitting there listening to him.

My first ever festival - was 17 and with a big group of 'mates' (yanno the type from school you'd hang out with but not actually really get on with and haven't seen or heard from since you left).

My buddy Dan and I had found a mutual amusement for moshing and just generally being an idiot.

Cue Kasabian. First proper headline set. Well out of our depth in the pits and it opens up in front of us to reveal one foolish soul trying to pump everyone up. He was topless, drenched in sweat, swearing at everyone practically frothing from the mouth. Then the chorus of Fire kicks in and BAM. Spear tackled. Not once. Twice. At the same time.

One got the legs the other got his torso and he cartwheeled well enough to get to the olympics.

We still talk about it to this day and it is the funniest shit I've ever seen and completely hooked me on festivals.