Rail strike for Glastonbury weekend?

zahidf

16 hours ago, Euphoricape said:

Would the strike last all week? If there's no trains on the Wednesday I can't get to the festival. I live in rural Cornwall..  proper worried now.

They normally don't strike for consecutive days to prevent workers losing to much money. Iam a signaller and one of my rostered weeks is 12 hours Sunday, Monday, Tuesday,Wednesday and then 7 days off. If they striked starting the Sunday for a week I'd lose 4 days pay compared to another signaller who's already off and if any pay rise was agreed it still wouldn't make up for what I've already lost. So like I said they normally picks Various days across different weeks.

2 hours ago, gazzared said:

They normally don't strike for consecutive days to prevent workers losing to much money. Iam a signaller and one of my rostered weeks is 12 hours Sunday, Monday, Tuesday,Wednesday and then 7 days off. If they striked starting the Sunday for a week I'd lose 4 days pay compared to another signaller who's already off and if any pay rise was agreed it still wouldn't make up for what I've already lost. So like I said they normally picks Various days across different weeks.

Cheers mate. Hopefully they don't pick Wednesday 22nd june or the following monday!

Just now, Euphoricape said:

Apparently 14 days notice has to be given by law before any strike takes place. Therefore if we don't hear of anything by Wednesday we are in the clear. Except obviously for trains home but I don't care so much about that, as long as I get there!

They won’t mention it the next few days I don’t think 🤔… so that leaves sat -wed 

On 4/20/2022 at 3:40 PM, zahidf said:

You did warn people in April and now it looks like it might happen

If the strikes go ahead do you think it will be on the day you find out if your  specific train is cancelled or prior.

I don't want to jump the gun and cancel only for it to run.

Kinda stuck travelling on the Tuesday to castle cary as have a hotel booked there.

14 hours ago, CrystalPalace said:

A heads up to expect bad news on this later today. There will likely be strikes Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday of Glastonbury. Bastards 

There's a Network Rail boss, one of the highest paid public workers in the land on £600k with absolute millions in profits going to shareholders, a Glastonbury festival goer and a rail worker who is getting another year of pay freezes during a cost of living crisis, sitting at a table with 20 cookies.

The Network Rail boss eats all the cookies, and wams the Glasto goer: "Watch out, that rail worker is trying to inconvenience your holiday"

36 minutes ago, irnkrtn said:

There's a Network Rail boss, one of the highest paid public workers in the land on £600k with absolute millions in profits going to shareholders, a Glastonbury festival goer and a rail worker who is getting another year of pay freezes during a cost of living crisis, sitting at a table with 20 cookies.

The Network Rail boss eats all the cookies, and wams the Glasto goer: "Watch out, that rail worker is trying to inconvenience your holiday"

The messaging this week saying the unions had jumped the gun and talks had just started was bollocks. They have been raising issues for months but until now, no one was listening

44 minutes ago, irnkrtn said:

Network rail doesn’t have shareholders. The average pay of a ftse 250 ceo is £1.3 million. 

1 hour ago, Earth_pig said:

If the strikes go ahead do you think it will be on the day you find out if your  specific train is cancelled or prior.

I don't want to jump the gun and cancel only for it to run.

Kinda stuck travelling on the Tuesday to castle cary as have a hotel booked there.

That was our plan too. Our journey takes in 3 different trains and is a long distance so not a chance we make it on the Tuesday. We've had to book a different Castle Cary hotel for the Monday night. Cancellable til next Friday, but if there are any last minute deals after that time we're committed. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

32 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

That was our plan too. Our journey takes in 3 different trains and is a long distance so not a chance we make it on the Tuesday. We've had to book a different Castle Cary hotel for the Monday night. Cancellable til next Friday, but if there are any last minute deals after that time we're committed. 

My girlfriend will drive if needs be but ive always got the train and shuttle and the car queues always look awful haha.

Oh well we will all get there by hook or by crook.

1 hour ago, Earth_pig said:

For some this has an impact on getting to the festival in the last few weeks, easy not to click on the thread.

It's impacting me too, as I'd written in the other hot topic where the same individual wrote scores of posts - none of which I saw were helping people sort alternative arrangements. 

Edited by clarkete