Rail strike for Glastonbury weekend?

zahidf

18 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Presumably they’ll ‘announce’ any strike dates ASAP as part of a negotiation tactic. 

They've been negotiating for over 2 years with no progress so yeah you'd think theyd just announce the strikes dates now

52 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Presumably they’ll ‘announce’ any strike dates ASAP as part of a negotiation tactic. 

Nope, leave it as late as legally possible. Gives them less time to make alternative arrangements for services which piles more pressure on the management to cave or face horrendous disruption.

Ohh. This will play with peoples heads. 

Do i support the strike for the rights of the workers or do i absolutely not want it to happen if its going to inconvenience me.

Obviously strikes always inconvenience someone but not so noticeably such a distinct large once only group

If train strikes did affect Glastonbury week, it would make sense for the buses from Castle Cary to be reassigned to places like Bristol, London or Reading. I'd assume the services to big cities would be prioritised, leaving the route to Taunton (through Castle Cary) pretty vulnerable.

37 minutes ago, danmarks said:

Do i support the strike for the rights of the workers or do i absolutely not want it to happen if its going to inconvenience me.

Obviously strikes always inconvenience someone but not so noticeably such a distinct large once only group

I think the timing of it will depend on how many of rail union members have tickets for Glastonbury. Hopefully there’s enough of them to have an influence over choosing potential strike dates. 

1 hour ago, danmarks said:

Those things aren't mutually exclusive. Just because you'd prefer to avoid the inconvenience doesn't mean you don't support workers rights.

Edited by Leyrulion
Wording

56 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Would the strike last all week? If there's no trains on the Wednesday I can't get to the festival. I live in rural Cornwall..  proper worried now.

I don't think we'll know the details or whether it's actually going to happen for a while now, we won't know when it'll start or for how long. My gf and I are going by train too, but I'm trying not to worry too much as there's a) nothing we can do about it, and b) plenty can change between now and the festival.

• Upvote 1

There are rail strikes going on right now. Transpennine Express have already been on strike 16 weeks in a row. Only been striking on Sundays though. 

The current strike action is planned to go on till the 5th of June. If they are extended to the end of June then it’s probably still only going to be the Sunday that’s getting affected. 

4 hours ago, AlexOvd said:

The strike would also affect metro of London or other cities or it's for mid/long distance trains? 

I believe it is network rail services only, but I'd expect disruption on the tube etc. as well as RMT represents everyone

2 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Those things aren't mutually exclusive. Just because you'd prefer to avoid the inconvenience doesn't mean you don't support workers rights.

Sure as hell makes it impossible to be pissed off that you are being fucked about, 

5 hours ago, Euphoricape said:

Would the strike last all week? If there's no trains on the Wednesday I can't get to the festival. I live in rural Cornwall..  proper worried now.

Hopefully if it comes to that there'll be someone on the liftshare forum who can help. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, dizzymoo said:

Hopefully if it comes to that there'll be someone on the liftshare forum who can help. 

This...

We're travelling down from the Derbyshire, 2 people in one car. Because the stupid Vauxhall Mokka boot can barely fit 2 65L rucksacks, never mind sleeping mats, sleeping bags, beer and other bits. But if it came to it, we'd cut back, finally install that roof box I've been eyeing up, and offer out a seat or 2. 

I'm sure there are plenty of others with spare seats going. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2