Drug Testing on Entry

gfa

3 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Honestly this thread is making me paranoid that the checks are more then they are. If a security guard was shining a torch up my nose I'd certainly be complaining to his supervisor about an invasive search.

I went for many years and was never searched until more recent years.  Had a car search in 2011 (just checked the boot for glass items basically) and only got searched for the first time in 2016, which was only going through my hand luggage and asking me to empty my pockets into a tray.  Since then I've been searched coming in multiple times and it's really only a quick look in your bag.  At no point have security ever touched me, patted me down, only gone through my bag like they were going through the motions, they've never unpacked my backpack or opened my tent, gone through my belongings in any way.

It always feels to me like they have to meet a quota to be seen to be making an effort rather than having any hope or intent to find or seize our goodies.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yes as I said further up the thread, this happened to my mate going out of Gate C, he was a bit drunk so they stopped him, searched him and took what he had away from him. Annoying thing is for my sober mate who was just helping him back to the caravan they also searched them and took all their stuff away too. They also lined them both up and photographed them before sending them on their way, not sure what the point of that was.

Will people not learn to use the lockups 🙃

1 minute ago, fred quimby said:

Will people not learn to use the lockups 🙃

I recall being at Glastonbury one year and somebody pointed out that an official Glastonbury Festival piece of paper was giving advice out about what to do, and what not to do etc. One particular section pleaded with people to use the free Lock Ups. That particular bit of information ended with the advice to use the lock ups for storing 'any medication that you cannot be without'. Maybe they meant 'proper' medication, maybe they didn't too.

1 hour ago, Spindles said:

I went for many years and was never searched until more recent years.  Had a car search in 2011 (just checked the boot for glass items basically) and only got searched for the first time in 2016, which was only going through my hand luggage and asking me to empty my pockets into a tray.  Since then I've been searched coming in multiple times and it's really only a quick look in your bag.  At no point have security ever touched me, patted me down, only gone through my bag like they were going through the motions, they've never unpacked my backpack or opened my tent, gone through my belongings in any way.

It always feels to me like they have to meet a quota to be seen to be making an effort rather than having any hope or intent to find or seize our goodies.

I have seen people being really searched, in baccy and everything out. You obviously do not look the type 😃.

I have never really been searched either, even at places they have been going through everybody. Just feeds into my I'm invisible to everyone fears (not sure I mind) 

Did get accused of being drug squad one year by some chap we were walking behind. In a low voice I just said "we are watching you" and me and my mate walked away pretending to talk into our invisible microphones

I have been to every Glastonbury since 2007 and have only ever been searched once and that was in 2013.

It was Friday afternoon we had dropped some 2cb, it didn't seem to be working so we dropped some more then suddenly and somewhat unsurprisingly everything starts working, where is a Flaming Lips set when you need one 😉

Anyway one of the three of us was feeling a bit feary, he wanted a toilet but a "proper" toilet like with walls where you can feel secure, so we thought it best to head back to Worthy View there and no problems on the way out of the site.  However on the way back in I was clearly away with the fairies luckily and had moved all my stash inside my special pants.  I was searched very very thoroughly on the way back in and to the letter of the law all my pockets emptied wallet taken apart etc., absolutely everything, but as mentioned above I know where they can and cant look and I was having a great time of course they were obliged to wave me back in, they were gutted lol.

Moral of the story: "I never forget your special pants"

4 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Honestly this thread is making me paranoid that the checks are more then they are. If a security guard was shining a torch up my nose I'd certainly be complaining to his supervisor about an invasive search.

To be honest security at glasto is the best. You're least likely to be searched here out of all the festivals IMO. If you actually have stuff on you, my advice would be to be friendly and jokey with them. Complaining about an invasive search is probably only going to make them want to find it more & if they do find it, they're less likely to look the other way. Unfortunate but sometimes you just have to play the man, not the game.

5 hours ago, hjwright said:

To be honest security at glasto is the best. You're least likely to be searched here out of all the festivals IMO. If you actually have stuff on you, my advice would be to be friendly and jokey with them. Complaining about an invasive search is probably only going to make them want to find it more & if they do find it, they're less likely to look the other way. Unfortunate but sometimes you just have to play the man, not the game.

Wise words. 

If you are pulled ( I never have been when I attended) and you have stuff on you, and you want to 'go for it' in terms of letting them check you over, then I'd say that you'd want 'it' up your arse (never have done it - on a number of fronts!) or you want it so well hidden and disguised that it will pass even the most thorough of visual checks that the security can carry out. It can be done. 

Nathan M Hurst on Twitter: "Incredible portrait work by #GregStaples  #StarWars #SciFi #Art Luke Skywalker #Red5 Use the Force Luke, let go Luke...  Luke trust me https://t.co/hGr9drBJgg" / Twitter

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’ve met people in Ibiza who say they’ve shoved it up their arse to get their own stash there, would never have the balls for that.

That Richard Reid blighter has a lot to answer for. 

As Romesh said:-

“How do we know that the terrorists haven't already won?

How do we know what their initial goal was?

What if their initial goal was just to make air travel fucking annoying?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheSheriff said:

Well I was after a new water bottle, think this one might come in handy going through gates back to the campervan 

1115AE62-86CD-447A-B878-7FA3464FEE55.png

There's lots of kit like that on the market, but that one is one that I haven't seen before. It's quite a pricey object in comparison to some, but I'd say less ubiquitous than some too - and that might be a favourable factor. I'd say that a lot of security and the police are fully aware of coke cans, tins of beans etc, but not necessarily that one. then again, I'd say the trick is to use that principle (ie disguise) but make your own out of an object of your choosing. Use a Mylar bag in addition, and you are good to go.

1 minute ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

There's lots of kit like that on the market, but that one is one that I haven't seen before. It's quite a pricey object in comparison to some, but I'd say less ubiquitous than some too - and that might be a favourable factor. I'd say that a lot of security and the police are fully aware of coke cans, tins of beans etc, but not necessarily that one. then again, I'd say the trick is to use that principle (ie disguise) but make your own out of an object of your choosing. Use a Mylar bag in addition, and you are good to go.

In connection with the above (kind of) I once managed to get about 7 litres of red wine (can't recall the specifics) in to the Secret Garden Festival one year, when the allowance was a decanted single 70cl bottle. And the security were searching every single person's bags. Oh and there was a sniffer dog next to me too, but I hadn't even noticed it as I was concentrating on getting my booze in and not my drugs (it was my mate following me in that told me about the dog).

11 hours ago, TheSheriff said:

Well I was after a new water bottle, think this one might come in handy going through gates back to the campervan 

1115AE62-86CD-447A-B878-7FA3464FEE55.png

If you stickerbombed this / personalised it then it would be even less obvious too!

8 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

In connection with the above (kind of) I once managed to get about 7 litres of red wine (can't recall the specifics) in to the Secret Garden Festival one year, when the allowance was a decanted single 70cl bottle. And the security were searching every single person's bags. Oh and there was a sniffer dog next to me too, but I hadn't even noticed it as I was concentrating on getting my booze in and not my drugs (it was my mate following me in that told me about the dog).

How on earth!

12 hours ago, clarkete said:

What if their initial goal was just to make air travel fucking annoying?

Terror so in a way, yes. Its all about making people live in fear rather than actually blowing up stuff in my eyes

14 minutes ago, gfa said:

Terror so in a way, yes. Its all about making people live in fear rather than actually blowing up stuff in my eyes

Yeah, his was a lot more light hearted than perhaps my excerpt made it appear, so rather than terror he was speculating whether their goal was just to make life more annoying. 

"Somewhere there's a terrorist going,

"And the infidels have to take their shoes off even on internal flights!" "

I do remember a friend who would just put stuff in the toe of their shoe for International journeys 😊

3 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Yeah, his was a lot more light hearted than perhaps my excerpt made it appear, so rather than terror he was speculating whether their goal was just to make life more annoying. 

"Somewhere there's a terrorist going,

"And the infidels have to take their shoes off even on internal flights!" "

I do remember a friend who would just put stuff in the toe of their shoe for International journeys 😊

I don't get why anyone would ever risk it through airports - internal flight maybe but going abroad not a chance unless it was to like Portugal maybe but even then!

5 minutes ago, gfa said:

I don't get why anyone would ever risk it through airports - internal flight maybe but going abroad not a chance unless it was to like Portugal maybe but even then!

You mean now or then? 

Air travel was very different 20+ years ago

9 minutes ago, gfa said:

Now i guess - people definitely still do it.

Yes, but in the context of this thread 911 and the shoe bomber changed the experience of travelling through an airport for everyone...including those who used to take things with them for personal consumption without needing to be very evasive. 

28 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Yes, but in the context of this thread 911 and the shoe bomber changed the experience of travelling through an airport for everyone...including those who used to take things with them for personal consumption without needing to be very evasive. 

Yeah I was just saying that I find it crazy people chance it for personal consumption on the way to Ibiza or wherever.

52 minutes ago, gfa said:

Yeah I was just saying that I find it crazy people chance it for personal consumption on the way to Ibiza or wherever.

Yeah I'd certainly be wary going through airports these days, say some jobsworth throwing away breast milk as slightly more than 100ml and testing an old man's stick for "materials" 🙄

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

That shoe bomber nearly caused me problems at Stanstead Airport. Some will find this catalogue of events, but they really did happen. Anyway, I haven't got the time to go into it all in detail, so will bullet point it all - not that even this wont take time.

(1) Went out on my own (in Birmingham) the night before travelling with my then girlfriend from Stanstead to Nice (where we were to catch a train to Marseille) and onto our accommodation for a few days which had a balcony which overlooked The Château d'If.

(2) got fucking mentally pissed and coked up and stayed up all night.

(3) Now this is the bit where you are going to 'boo' me, and rightfully so too. In the morning 9after argument 1) me and my girlfriend drove down to Stanstead Airport - as in i drove down there plastered, but wired on coke which i was taking at regular intervals on the way down there. I mean, we even stopped at a pub for a pint on the way down too. FFS, I was mental in those days!

(4) Got to the car park at the airport and parked the car. it was while on the shuttle bus from the car park to the terminal building that i realised that I still had about £500 in wraps of coke in my wallet. My mind raced - a very little, given my condition. I decided (in my ultimate wisdom) that I wouldn't even attempt to hid all the wraps in my wallet, but just leave them there.

(5) We get to Ryanair check in and I hand the tickets to the lady on the counter. She informs me that I have missed that flight because i had booked the flight for the day before.

(6) My then girlfriend goes off on one so fantastical that its akin to the spinning head scene in The exorcist, and then she storms off. I look from her storming off away to the Ryanair lady. she immediately looks down and starts typing on the computer. then she says something along the lines of 'it's OK, we have still got (only) 2 places left on this flight. i'll give you new tickets for it, and no there wont be any cost'. 

(7) i go to my girlfriend and tell her the news, all the while thinking is there any way that I can get a bunch of flowers to the Ryanair lady. Unfortunately there was no such opportunity.

(8) get to security check in, take off my belt, throw my coins etc into the plastic tray etc, walk through the x ray person checker and it goes off. i then remember that i still have my wallet in my pocket and reach for it. the security bloke asks tio see it. My heart didn't even drop as I was too far gone already. I hand him the wallet (with 3500 worth of coke in it) and he simply opens it, doesn't look inside but feels his fingers across the length of it. 'Here's your wallet back sir and hands me the wallet. He then says 'i was just checking to see if you had a blade in there'.

(9) I walk off thinking that that was as close a shave as you'd want to have. I suddenly hear 'Excuse me sir, excuse me'. I turn and the security bloke is looking at me. its me he wants the attention of. i look back and he says 'Can you take your shoes off please' I wonder what is going on. i was wearing normal type looking shoes, except that they had about a 2 inch sole. he looks at the shoes and gives me them back and off I / we go.

(10) we get a taxi from the airport to the train station. We find that we have an hour or so to kill, so go to a bar opposite with outside seats and have a few drinks there. We then go to the train station to catch the train which will be arriving in 15 minutes. we get there and decide to sit down on a bench on the platform. I look up and there's 2 military looking like police walking towards me. walking towards me with a dog on a lead. i think 'FFS, this cannot be happening'. The two cops walk closer, but then stop to talk to 2 blokes sitting on the bench just in front of ours. Our train arrives and we leg it on to it.

(11) Get to Marseilles and my then girlfriend inform me that there's a wine shop chain that does more expensive wine cheaper than you'll get it anywhere else. We fill up on fine bottles of red and white and get to our accommodation. i can see the castle on the island off shorter from our balcony. my girlfriend informs me of the islands historical relevance. The sun is shining, i have fine wine and coke, and an attractive girlfriend. life is good.

PS - Later, many moons after we get back to the UK, I find out that when I went out the night before travelling to Stanstead airport that my then girlfriend had used the opportunity to shag some other bloke, a bloke who, fortunately, i did not know.

PPS - the now ex girlfriend was, at one point in her life, in a relatively successful pop band. She had even played The Pyramid stage at Glastonbury.

7 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

That shoe bomber nearly caused me problems at Stanstead Airport. Some will find this catalogue of events, but they really did happen. Anyway, I haven't got the time to go into it all in detail, so will bullet point it all - not that even this wont take time.

(1) Went out on my own (in Birmingham) the night before travelling with my then girlfriend from Stanstead to Nice (where we were to catch a train to Marseille) and onto our accommodation for a few days which had a balcony which overlooked The Château d'If.

(2) got fucking mentally pissed and coked up and stayed up all night.

(3) Now this is the bit where you are going to 'boo' me, and rightfully so too. In the morning 9after argument 1) me and my girlfriend drove down to Stanstead Airport - as in i drove down there plastered, but wired on coke which i was taking at regular intervals on the way down there. I mean, we even stopped at a pub for a pint on the way down too. FFS, I was mental in those days!

(4) Got to the car park at the airport and parked the car. it was while on the shuttle bus from the car park to the terminal building that i realised that I still had about £500 in wraps of coke in my wallet. My mind raced - a very little, given my condition. I decided (in my ultimate wisdom) that I wouldn't even attempt to hid all the wraps in my wallet, but just leave them there.

(5) We get to Ryanair check in and I hand the tickets to the lady on the counter. She informs me that I have missed that flight because i had booked the flight for the day before.

(6) My then girlfriend goes off on one so fantastical that its akin to the spinning head scene in The exorcist, and then she storms off. I look from her storming off away to the Ryanair lady. she immediately looks down and starts typing on the computer. then she says something along the lines of 'it's OK, we have still got (only) 2 places left on this flight. i'll give you new tickets for it, and no there wont be any cost'. 

(7) i go to my girlfriend and tell her the news, all the while thinking is there any way that I can get a bunch of flowers to the Ryanair lady. Unfortunately there was no such opportunity.

(8) get to security check in, take off my belt, throw my coins etc into the plastic tray etc, walk through the x ray person checker and it goes off. i then remember that i still have my wallet in my pocket and reach for it. the security bloke asks tio see it. My heart didn't even drop as I was too far gone already. I hand him the wallet (with 3500 worth of coke in it) and he simply opens it, doesn't look inside but feels his fingers across the length of it. 'Here's your wallet back sir and hands me the wallet. He then says 'i was just checking to see if you had a blade in there'.

(9) I walk off thinking that that was as close a shave as you'd want to have. I suddenly hear 'Excuse me sir, excuse me'. I turn and the security bloke is looking at me. its me he wants the attention of. i look back and he says 'Can you take your shoes off please' I wonder what is going on. i was wearing normal type looking shoes, except that they had about a 2 inch sole. he looks at the shoes and gives me them back and off I / we go.

(10) we get a taxi from the airport to the train station. We find that we have an hour or so to kill, so go to a bar opposite with outside seats and have a few drinks there. We then go to the train station to catch the train which will be arriving in 15 minutes. we get there and decide to sit down on a bench on the platform. I look up and there's 2 military looking like police walking towards me. walking towards me with a dog on a lead. i think 'FFS, this cannot be happening'. The two cops walk closer, but then stop to talk to 2 blokes sitting on the bench just in front of ours. Our train arrives and we leg it on to it.

(11) Get to Marseilles and my then girlfriend inform me that there's a wine shop chain that does more expensive wine cheaper than you'll get it anywhere else. We fill up on fine bottles of red and white and get to our accommodation. i can see the castle on the island off shorter from our balcony. my girlfriend informs me of the islands historical relevance. The sun is shining, i have fine wine and coke, and an attractive girlfriend. life is good.

PS - Later, many moons after we get back to the UK, I find out that when I went out the night before travelling to Stanstead airport that my then girlfriend had used the opportunity to shag some other bloke, a bloke who, fortunately, i did not know.

PPS - the now ex girlfriend was, at one point in her life, in a relatively successful pop band. She had even played The Pyramid stage at Glastonbury.

I do like a tale which sounds like a less violent version of the Smack my B*tch up video. 

I've certainly done some very foolish things from time to time, different risks to yours but no less regrettable. 

At least you lived to fight another day, which is a blessed relief after drink driving - I've done that too and was really troubled by the guilt of what could have happened.