Drug Testing on Entry

gfa

Just now, chazwwe said:

Might be because you were going in and out so many times so was curious as to what you were bringing in.

It felt random to me, as they were searching everyone's bag every time I went through.  Usually I was loaded down with either camping equipment or cases of cider.  Maybe it was just bad timing on my part, but not once did I pass through where people weren't having to have their bags searched.

3 minutes ago, Spindles said:

It felt random to me, as they were searching everyone's bag every time I went through.  Usually I was loaded down with either camping equipment or cases of cider.  Maybe it was just bad timing on my part, but not once did I pass through where people weren't having to have their bags searched.

Been going since 14' always gate a. Time from anywhere between 9 and 4, only been searched once on a reentry.

3 hours ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

I agree that there is an element of scare tactics involved, but what's your source for the 30-minute efficacy? I've read that rumour many times over the years on forums and such without ever finding any reliable information that it's actually true.

There's an interesting article here (see link) dated 2021 and interviews the Head of Dog Section at City of London Police. He does confirm that working drug dogs should only be 'on duty' for a 20 minute period at any one time, and also gives the reason why;

https://www.vice.com/en/article/akgb4g/do-festival-sniffer-dogs-work

4 hours ago, Smeble said:

Can’t for the life of me think why they would be looking for explosives. If the festival wanted to check for explosives then we would be going through airport style security scanners, not a dog sniffing a few random  bags. They are drug dogs.

Yeah because explosives are metal? I don’t mean to be rude but you’ve no idea what you’re talking about here. After the spate of terrorist attacks in the UK and Europe in the 2010s they had dogs at glasto checking for explosives. Something like glasto is an obvious target, massive dense crowds etc. That’s why they would be looking for explosives. If they had drug dogs at glasto 75% of people wouldn’t get in. Has that ever happened? They were looking for Semtex and homemade fertiliser bombs not grenades or whatever you’re thinking of. You know when they your swab your hands or hand luggage in airports? That’s for explosives not drugs. 

3 hours ago, alframsey said:

I don’t know how useful or useless drug dogs are but I seem to remember seeing them around the gates on more than a handful of occasions at glasto and haven’t been stopped by one at Glastonbury. I have been stopped by them once at boomtown on my way out on the Saturday, back to the car to collect something. I had nothing on me on the way out and got sniffed out and strip searched but I did have something on the way back in and walked straight in.

Did you walk back in with a struggle? I mean, there must have been some 'accommodation' to allow for dragging those big hairy cojones after you! I tip my hat to you on that episode Sir!

Only just noticed you have your location as Brum. May I ask which part? No worries if you don't want to say. 

@TASHMA BWABWE If a baggage handler that roiled a joint before his shift touched your bag the dogs wouldn’t be able to detect that trace. If you had actual weed in your bag they would. The police likely targeted those individuals because they were intoxicated, it may have had nothing to do with the dogs. My brother works in security at airports. He’s worked all over Europe. He also works with companies to help them achieve and maintain known consignor status. Nobody moves drugs in quantities through airports anymore, or at least very rarely. But terrorists are constantly trying to invent new forms of explosives and methods to get them onto planes. 

Edited by Madyaker

8 minutes ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

A trace portal machine is used as a secondary device to complement X Ray machines. The X Ray machines in hold luggage have a greater efficiency as they use back scatter x rays. Humans are not supposed to be exposed to these (or to the potential of overexposure) so the ones where they look at your hand luggage aren't as efficient. However, to any of them, drugs look like the same as explosives if they are both organic in nature. I think they both look orange, if memory serves me right. I can confirm that they are not infallible as I have taken a shed load of Class A drugs through two different airports in hand luggage (well, that's not true - my wife had the gear in her bag the last time). One of my mates not only took 7 e's to Thailand, but also flew across Thailand with them. He'd just packed his Glastonbury rucksack and had forgotten about the e's. I know this to be true because I was with him and his boyfriend (boyfriend at that time. Now husband). 

It is not something that I want to repeat in a hurry, mind.

15 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Kind of - your brother isn't allowed to look into diplomatic bags.

This is true. But I often wonder what they’re at. I flew through Dublin airport last week on an afternoon, I’m currently in France. I’d rolled and smoked a blunt that morning before I flew. I used a bag as hand luggage that regularly has weed in it. My hands and bag were swabbed going through security, the machine said no alarm I saw the screen myself. They didn’t look in my bag. Then on the way to the gate I was randomly pulled aside and my hands and bag were swabbed again and returned the same result. When I arrived at my current location and emptied my hand luggage I discovered a 4 inch steak knife in the bottom of my bag that I didn’t know was there. No idea how it ended up in there either. 

@TASHMA BWABWEthe number of mules getting caught at airports is tiny compared to number of seizures in ports.

Edited by Madyaker

44 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Did you walk back in with a struggle? I mean, there must have been some 'accommodation' to allow for dragging those big hairy cojones after you! I tip my hat to you on that episode Sir!

Only just noticed you have your location as Brum. May I ask which part? No worries if you don't want to say. 

In hindsight it might not have been the best choice but the beer in me, that I was returning through the crew camping area and it was K rather than anything else (don’t really know why that mattered at the time) gave me a, perhaps false, sense of security haha.

And of course man, I’ve lived in Acocks Green almost my whole life with some periods in Erdington. You a Brum lad yourself?

1 hour ago, alframsey said:

And of course man, I’ve lived in Acocks Green almost my whole life with some periods in Erdington. You a Brum lad yourself?

I am indeed. I know Acocks Green well, as I only lived in Yardley near 'The Swan' until I was about 21, when we moved to Selly Park. From there I went to Stirchley, then back to Selly Park, then to Moseley ( I had to leave there as the place was killing me at a greater rate than I could handle) , then to Kings Heath (3 different addresses) and then back to Stirchley, and then I left and now live in Shropshire. 

I don't know your age, but one of my brothers went to Ilsley's in Acocks Green - so, my theory is (a very tenuous one) that if you were of the same age and possibly religious persuasion, that you might know him. 

30 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I am indeed. I know Acocks Green well, as I only lived in Yardley near 'The Swan' until I was about 21, when we moved to Selly Park. From there I went to Stirchley, then back to Selly Park, then to Moseley ( I had to leave there as the place was killing me at a greater rate than I could handle) , then to Kings Heath (3 different addresses) and then back to Stirchley, and then I left and now live in Shropshire. 

I don't know your age, but one of my brothers went to Ilsley's in Acocks Green - so, my theory is (a very tenuous one) that if you were of the same age and possibly religious persuasion, that you might know him. 

Ah that reminds me that I also lived in Stirchley for a year or so, on the pershore road though so not the hip village. I love Acocks Green though despite what others think of it haha, it’s home and all that.

Big fan of Moseley myself but I only go to the park and the pubs tbf, kings heath is more my speed though tbh. Great place.

I’m 32 and never went to Ilsley’s they didn’t want me at the same school as my entire family so sent me elsewhere. 

Edited by alframsey

7 minutes ago, alframsey said:

Ah that reminds me that I also lived in Stirchley for a year or so, on the pershore road though so not the hip village. I love Acocks Green though despite what others think of it haha, it’s home and all that.

I’m 32 and never went to Ilsley’s they didn’t want me at the same school as my entire family so I couldn’t go. 

Big family then.  Right, I'll have one last go at making a connection with you - your not one of the Sweeney's are you?

1 hour ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

This is true. And they might get caught at airports because of intelligence and not scans or dogs. Still seems super risky to me, but maybe I'm just over-cautious.

Tbh, I've sailed past dogs many times when they should've stopped me if they were 100% effective. I guess I just can't accept that it's all for show and not without any risk.

I think dogs can smell weed etc, but reckon basically no chance of catching someone with a few bags of powder. 

I’ve continuously read that they react to behaviour of the subjects and their handlers. I.e. if you look shifty it’ll come give you a sniff, or if it senses the handler thinks you’re sus it will have a nosey. Not to mention the fact that the handlers can direct them if they want to search you.

on the FOH testing, it is such a shame it’s not allowed. I don’t believe it’s the festival regardless of that and think it’s the govt. it probably doesn’t prevent use but it does prevent harm, so stupid for it to be banned.

2 hours ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

Out of curiosity, how do you know this is correct?

I’ve twice asked security at the airport before when they were swabbing me/my stuff, what they were looking for.

Both times they said explosive residue, both times said they could check for drugs too but the machine isn’t set up for that and never is at an airport.

Dogs can be trained to sniff for anything, their sense of smell is absolutely crazy, but they’re normally only trained to sniff for one specific thing. In the Madeline McCann doc on Netflix they had blood dogs (obviously trained to detect blood) and cadaver dogs (trained to detect where a dead body has been). They said the cadaver dog could detect where a body might have been buried only briefly, then dug up again and removed up to 40 years beforehand! If they’ve been trained to sniff for something specific whether that be cocaine or anything else then they’ll find it. It is however just a game for them, so as has been mentioned above they’re normally only good for 15 minutes bursts at a time.

One of my mates was caught at Creamfileds one year by one. He was in the queue and a dog walked along and just sat in front of him, he has a fair bit on him but purely for personal use. They took him away and said if he owned up they’d confiscate the stuff and let him go, which he did. 

14 hours ago, Wanderlei said:

You do the drugs after you enter anyway, don't you?

13 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Surely most people take their drugs after they get through the gate not before it?

The article is a mess, front of house testing does not literally mean front of house testing, if just means somewhere you can go to test any drugs (a tiny bit of your stash obviously) that you’ve got at any point during the festival to see if they’re pure etc. The councillors seem to think it means testing on entry, which it very definitely doesn’t mean.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton